Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

barn 924 "barn find"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Ok, So my block is painted gloss black. I really dislike gloss black for engines. It looks like the engine is leaking oil everywhere. But I'm afraid if I allow changes here & there then next thing I will be going ***** out, and I really need to stay conservative on this one. So, I asked myself "did VW make it black"? Yup... so black it is.

Before:

Old 02-06-2016, 11:14 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Full day of working on this. Taking my time, but looking to wrap this engine up soon.

Slow going. Yeah.

Also made an error on the work bench and mixed up 1, 2 or 3 lifters ("cam followers"). Next time I will mark them with a pen. The lifters aren't hydraulic. They have a unique adjustment which I haven't seen before. Overall it's a pretty slick set up, but there are 4 different sizes that are used. So I might have to remove the cam shaft & swap them until I can get the adjustment in spec. To remove the bumpstick you need to also remove the distributor mount at the rear of the head. It's interesting getting to know this car and there are as many differences as there are similarities to the 944 na.

I am hopeful I can adjust them on the bench but really it'll probably have to be done when the head is mounted (as per the EXCELLENT Haynes 924 manual).

Anyway here is some pics. This engine is a pretty as any other Porsche engine.

Also, there was a lot of rust and corrosion on steel coolant pipes and engine compartment related brackets. Here are some of those items. I cleaned & painted everything except for bolt heads & the valve cover.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

What was another "feel good" moment was tapping the threads for the head bolts. The bolts didn't feel smooth when withdrawing them & they were rusted. Luckily my somewhat basic tap & die kit came with the right size tap.

I'll never know if I did in fact mix up the valves, but one thing is sure:
all 8 have been adjusted by me to the specs in the manual, using 2 simple feeler gauge leafs (.10mm intake/.40mm exhaust) and an ordinary 3mm allen key. The gauge is used on the base circle while the allen key adjusts the lifter work gear. Really cool technology!

Also, I checked with the Porsche dealer, the various sized lifter worms are still avail from Germany. 4 weeks wait & $30 each (ouch!)... painful, but worth it if ya'll need it.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

I just mounted the head. All you have to do (with MDSD headers attached) is drop the oil filter, distributor (debatable) and intake manifold. If I had a friend here, I'd try to pull/install it with the intake on but in this case I wanted to clean up the intake & replace the silicone with proper gaskets.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Old 02-08-2016, 08:39 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

I took the day off work to get this engine running. But I need help please.
Problem: no spark. no power at the small coil stud & no power at the small 2 pin connector on distributor. have ran multiple ground connections to various spark ign related devices thinking I painted over something, but that didn't help. Any advice is helpful. checked fuses twice. Engine cranks beautifully. And I smell fuel. But no spark coming out of spark plug wire.

Note: There are multiple ****ty electrilcal problems that need sorting (ie: broken 2 pin connectors on the idle air solenoid & the cold start solenoid (or "module" on the engine. I thought these would effect how well the engine starts & idles, but these aren't critical for spark are they? Meaning these are the reason why I have NO SPARK or is it?
Old 02-10-2016, 06:04 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Did you get anywhere with this Noah? I know in the other thread I said I didn't have any advice for you, since you forgot more than I've ever known about these.

I'm really reaching here, since what I know of the 924 I learned from you! LOL But is it possible it could be the Computer? Is the fuel pump ran through the computer on these? Or is it hard wired?

This just sucks man!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:21 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

x post from 924board

Did you re-connect all the connectors? the one on the wheel well, the one on the distributor and the main white connector that connects the engine wiring loom to the rest of the car?
Take them out and re-plug them, maybe there is dirt/corrosion.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Thanks Big M, that diagram helped.

I have some spark at the plugs.

But...

---- Here's an easy one for the seasoned vets.

I am not gettin' fuel to the end of the injector lines. I checked by removing #4 injector line for the injector & cracked but not getting a drop of gas into the container at the end of the line.

I am however getting a fuel vapour coming from the around the air boot systems. I assume this means I need to bleed the system, yes?

The fuel lines I removed when doing the recent work are:

-4 from the 4 injectors at the head.
-1 big & 1 small line from the cold start device on the manifold.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:09 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

[quote author=0C2538382F393E4A0 link=1448832101/158#158 date=1455029031]Well Noah,* the 24 was purchased new by my preacher of my child hood church.* Sold to my dad in the early 90s, then gifted to me as a first car.* So the 24 was in my life. ... well my whole life.* It was a sad loss for my father and I. I live about 5 miles from the gulf of Mexico and during the hurricane,* a turnado came through my yard. Oak tree landed on my shop and right down the middle of my car :'( I sold the car to another local porsche guy with the intentions of him using my dear old car to bring another one back to life.* Was I wrong.* I found it a year later,* crushed at a local scrap yard being sold for recycled metal...* *

Enough of all the depression lol.* I felt alive in the 924. More so than the 44. I feel like the 44 is more planted and with the 24 you had to be a better driver.* Much like an early 911. I still feel the connection with my 44 but I felt one with the car in the 24. No,* it wasn't as fast, didn't handle as well,* but it had character unlike any car I've owned. It was lose. Warn out. And just an old man, but the kind of old man that has wisdom beyond measure and real life stories to captivate even the best of us.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures.* That was before I was into photographing my cars* :-/ :'( but it was a 5 speed, tan leather,* 95f copper metallic and in beautiful shape.*

I can certainly say though,* if it hadn't been for this car,* I wouldn't have the Porsche Passion I do today.* [/quote]

I love what you wrote here. Had to read it twice. Thank you for fuelling my mind with images of that wonderful car you had.

If anyone one else can relate, or have 924 stories to tell, please be my guest & type it down.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Morghen, thank you so much for your undying help!

VIDEO TIME:

Last edited by Noahs944; 02-14-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:50 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats !
Engine bay looks great !
You'll have to check and re-adjust the valves with a warm engine after a few kms as they will set in.
So what did you miss that it didnt start ?
Old 02-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

This picture is of Ol' Gramps outside of A&W restaurant. I was too excited when I went to bed that I got up 2 hours later. I was too excited about driving this car, too excited to see if in fact my rear seal is leaking as I once thought; or was the leaking head gasket dripping into the bellhousing? Too excited to do the "retorque" of the head bolts and be done with this chapter... so I may be able to move on.

What was the matter? Why would the engine not start? Several reasons.
-6 or so electrical faults. Porsche uses small wires as you know. The insulation is brittle & the previous repairs were not quality. Using PET I was able to give Porsche the p/n for the Bosch 2 pin connector & when he was having difficulty matching the connector, the Service manager was nearby & asked what car I have... after a brief discussion, I had 6 modern replacement pigtails off of a Boxter wiring harness for absolutely free!! I couldn't believe it.

Secondly is entirely my error. Very early on in my teardown of the top end, when I first lined up TDC I allowed the camshaft to notch over the lobs by error. I must have turned the cam sprocket instead of the crank or gone opposite direction. At that time I had marked the crank pulley-to-oil pan relationship, to represent TDC.

So my theory is I wasn't getting fuel because I wasn't making vacuum because my foundation timing was off.

I'm not out of the woods yet though. The hatch doesn't open. I have holes in the shifter boot & I think and exhaust leak below it. The interior plastic pieces are all loose & rattling. License plate lights and one marker light are out. I can't figure out how to pop the rear seat backs forward. The radio is out. The heater controls are still a mess. I think there is a fuel leak. Also the old fuel lines look like they should be replaced. I was able to adjust the rear shoes & now the brake peddle is much firmer, but I would still like to know if these brakes can be better... I have a new master cylinder, but is there a way to test the old one?

Having this no-start issue as well as the head gasket replacement & all the cleaning I did REALLY helped me get a better understanding of the layout & operating systems of this car. I learn the hard way & so this is how I learn.

My biggest problem is getting a comfortable driving position with the seat, pedals & steering wheel. Then the soft brakes. But I have faith we'll get there.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:42 PM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Awesome Noah!!! I'm so glad Gramps is alive again!!!

Quick Reply: barn 924 "barn find"