Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front turn signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front turn signal issue

As you can see in the picture below, my passenger side turn signal/running light isn't illuminated when the headlights are on. When I signal a right turn, however, it turns on.

There's just one bulb in there, correct? The functional side looks like a single bulb with varying brightness for the indicator being turned on. Is this a relay issue? Anyone have experience tracking this down? Any other lighting related symptoms to look for which might be helpful? Thanks in advance...

Old 11-28-2015, 05:52 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a dual filament bulb. Replace it, or replace all the running lights due to age. That's what I do. But it's probably just a burt out bulb.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

That would make sense! Thanks! I think I have a spare somewhere...
Old 11-28-2015, 08:16 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

I don't believe it would be a dual element bulb. A dual element bulb is similar to a brake light. Low intensity then higher intensity (second element energized).

This blinker has a single brightness and then is on / off. To make sure, swap the good bulb in drivers side with bad holder on defective side.

I'll get the schematics out tomorrow if problem is not fixed.

NC
Old 11-28-2015, 10:51 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

I took a look at the bulb that was in there after reading Humboldtgrin's response, and it was dual element. One burned out. I had leftover replacement bulbs from O'Reilly's, but they were single element. Worked with the signal but not with the lights on. I haven't swapped the working dual element for the other, but the bulb that wasn't working had a broken filament and a smoky spot on the inside. Guess I just have to order the proper bulb.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:12 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Might want to order a second one for the other side; chances are they are the same age.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:47 PM
Flammulator
Instructor

Might want to order a second one for the other side; chances are they are the same age.
Will do. My last two cars each had one headlight go, then the next one within a week. No need to repeat that.

Actually, I keep toying with the idea of replacing the seals around all the lights. Maybe that's for lack of real issues to address, but most of the rubber looks to be original, or at least very old. This car's been in CA it's life, and kept garaged, so I'm willing to bet the former. But I drive it, so it's more important to me to keep it in good condition than original. My broken heater switch probably needs to get addressed first, though...
Old 11-29-2015, 08:56 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't forget to smear some die-electric grease in the socket and the bulbs base. I also use die-electric grease on the exterior terminal connection too.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by marc abrams
Don't forget to smear some die-electric grease in the socket and the bulbs base. I also use die-electric grease on the exterior terminal connection too.
Vaseline is not a suitable substitute for dielectric grease. Vaseline melts at about 100* and being a petroleum product, will conduct electricity.

Dielectric grease will not conduct electricity and has a much higher melting point.

Since dielectric grease does not conduct current it is not intended to be used on contacts. Instead it is used to keep rubber connectors pliable and to prevent corrosion on metal receptacles. Use very sparingly on small contact surfaces like automotive light bulbs.

Larger contact surfaces such as battery terminals are more suited for DG. The clamping action of tightening the wires to the battery terminals will squeeze out excess grease.

Last edited by NCporsche; 11-29-2015 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Original post had incorrect information
Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I don't know about the "squeeze out excess grease" part, but there is a battery terminal spray that works well for battery terminals.

Quick Reply: Front turn signal issue