Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide on which 944 from '84

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 04:41 PM
Nielsen Ramon
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide on which 944 from '84

Hey guys,

Tomorrow I am going to check on 2 cars and potentially buy one :-)

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/auto-s/p...-944-1984.html

and

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/auto-s/p...reviousPage=lr

(Sorry for the dutch language)

Both say they are 100% original but I like to hear from you guys what you think about them?

The white one looks very special to me with the Fuch wheels and nice interior, however I am not sure it is original as I never seen the gold plated emblems everywhere.

The dark gray one has a nice exterior + is very well maintained.

Based on what your see on the pictures, please let me know what you think. Any weird stuff on eiher of those cars? Some parts you see that shouldn't be there?

Any help is highly appreciated!
Old 11-27-2015, 07:45 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

They both look very nice, and a typical sign of European , well taken care of vehicles.

Sadly not many in America look this great when they come up for sale on the internet..... or even on personal 'one on one' sales. It would be a joy if they did.

The white one IS largely original but does have a few aftermarket or parts counter 'personalizations'. Nothing which couldn't be easily reversed. Center hub caps appear to off an early 911, 912 or 356 with steel wheels. The crests on the steering wheel, which is also non O.E., and the shift handle boot can be easily removed and a new wheel or boot fixed. The stereo may be a harder item to return to O.E. as the market on these is getting expensive to find the original, poorer quality Blaupunkts to make it right. None of these are deal breakers.

I think I could find a home in my garage for either one without a problem. I love the euro bumpers.

Best wishes with the buy.

( I will get a bit more intimate with those photos of the inside and under hood when I have more time tonite, and report back if I see anything troubling. )
Old 11-27-2015, 11:12 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

The white one has a large amount of km's (232,513 km) although the grey one isn't exactly low (187,500 km). Their maintenance records are key. The grey one has more work listed. Need more info on the condition of the engine, suspension, brakes, transaxle, clutch, belts, waterpump, powersteering, etc for both cars.

As Greenjeans says, a few non-original parts on the white one. Both have no foglights or headlight washers as stock which is uncommon even for RoW cars. I like the interior on the grey one better, it looks tidier but it could be the lighting for the white cars interior. The white cars steering wheel doesn't look like any 944 wheel I've ever seen. Matching cap on the gearshift too. The grey cars shiftboot looks it's been replaced at some stage. it's good to see that both dashes are in good shape although the white one looks like it has a few cracks forming. The front seats in both look good too- no rips, etc.

The white one is missing the rear 944 badge and the Porsche banner above the rear bumper is missing the bars either side, I would ask about accident history.

Does either car have a sunroof? Tools? Spare wheel?
Old 11-28-2015, 01:34 AM
Nielsen Ramon
3rd Gear

Thanks guys! I am going to check them in a couple of hours now and check on all the points you guys mentioned. Thank you very much!
Old 11-29-2015, 08:31 AM
Nielsen Ramon
3rd Gear

So I went to see both of them!

The white one was very dodgy, no papers and it drove really bad. You could feel everything that could be wrong was wrong with the car.

The dark gray one was better overall. It drove smooth, exterior was ok, same for the enterior. Below I listed some bad points:

- No tool kit
- The wheelarches are flaking a bit (rust?) on the inner edges.
- The hood insulation is in bad shape.
- Rear window wiper doesn't work. although it sometimes moved (electric malfunction?)
- The roof lining in the back before the rear window is in bad shape. It looks like a cover has been screwed above it. (can someone confirm, looking at the image?)
- The second key is not original, although it works.
- The front bumper, on the left side, look like he has had a small push.
- Not sure if this is incorrect but it looked like the rear bumper has a lot spacing between the bodywork and the actual bumper (1cm).
- In the engine the oil dipstick tube was a bit greasy.
- When we opened the coolant there was a white secretion on the button. My friend told me this could be some leftovers from when the headgasket had to be replaced. Can someone confirm?
- I do not think the floor mats were original, anyone got pics from them?
- He has a dash cover so I can only imagine the cracks
- Car also had no identification plaque with the weights and stuff.
- Radio isn't hooked to the wires as the available wires have a different setting. I think this is the original radio tho.
- When I was driving I heard some whisteling from air flowing in. Owner said it was because of the antenna.

What do you guys think about this car? Knowing it would cost me 5.500 euros.

Pictures:

What do you guys think about this car? is it worth its money?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

I wish my '83 looked that good. Perhaps in the future..same color though. Get that baby up on a rack and check out the belly, front wheel bearings and tie rod ends. Not to mention leaks and drips. If the bottom looks good and the belly pan is present, and in decent shape (louvered aluminum) go ahead and make the purchase. An '84 in my town went for that same $$...and it looked good too. Check the maint. logs for the timing belt/WP change. Hopefully it was done recently.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

- Straight front valance.... definite plus
- cookies appear nicely preserved, so no refinishing costs
- Crank windows ! I love it ! ( you Euro guys have it soooo good )
- nice paint finish .... is it a respray ? ( 944 decal in back not what we get in N.A.)
- rear panel inside in front of hatch, SHOULD be easily replaceable; may have gotten wet or torn from an oversize load ?
- Seats and interior look tidy
- If the drivetrain health is good, had frequent servicing, I would think it's fair.
- That white spot on the rad.cap may be a spec of oil from oil cooler seal leak/ malted milk shake in the past ? Does it have service recs. citing this being attended to ?
- Tool kits can be found fairly easy, the air compressor pump for the tires and the air gauge may be a different story. It is THAT way in N.A. anyway. The pumps seem to have vacated the planet for the original white plastic cased pump in a black and yellow cardboard box. Good luck with a tire gauge as well if it's missing. They came in a triangular black plastic case and are a short hand held tool with VDO markings on it and the case.
- Is this a sunroof delete car ? YES it is ! Even more of a perfect used 'catch' ! ! ! They seem quite rare on our shores..... I know there are more Euro cars without them, and without air con as well. Seems almost 95% of American cars have sunroofs and they all have aircon unless removed or a Euro import.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Just a word on the rear wiper.

They can 'core' out inside the wiper attachment ( the housing is aluminum ) because the stem that drives it thru the hatch window, is steel.

Unsnap the plastic cover on the outside of the arm, unscrew the burr holding it on, clean the stem sticking out of the glass with a pick or probe, maybe even a bush like what you use to clean a battery terminal, then push the wiper assembly back on and snug up that nut.

This wear or build up of aluminum shreds on that post comes from a dry glass or possibly a loose nut holding the arm on. The housing cores out easily due to drag and the dissimilar metals.

This is most often the cause, but sometimes the wiper motor will burn out as well, or a wire will break, but if it seems like it wants to wipe once and awhile, this would be my first 'go to repair'.

And for proper positioning, the wiper arm is supposed to stand at a perfect 90* right angle to the spoiler which lays horizontal. Straight up behind the driver,or passenger on right hand drive cars

Quick Reply: Help me decide on which 944 from '84