Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 Tachometer relocation tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Early 944 Tachometer relocation tips

Hey Guys,
Just posted a video of potential issues you'll encounter moving the Tachometer to the middle pod in the instrument cluster. I made the change but ran into seating issues because of the bracket that sits behind the instrument cluster. Looks like the bracket has to be cut. Check out the video below.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jr10cross
Hey Guys,
Just posted a video of potential issues you'll encounter moving the Tachometer to the middle pod in the instrument cluster. I made the change but ran into seating issues because of the bracket that sits behind the instrument cluster. Looks like the bracket has to be cut. Check out the video below.

https://youtu.be/LvrED117t9I

Thanks guys!
All this trouble just for what benefit? Not worth it in my opinion.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:56 AM
Smike
Instructor

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do not have to cut anything out of the dash.

Name:  4438B3CA-3D3E-4C78-B6FD-D261BA17A08C.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  166.0 KB

Have someone pull the speedo cable back in the firewall. From there you can go left or right with it behind that bracket. All of the other electrical connections have enough slack to go either way.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:51 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Yep I did that. I pulled the speedo cable all the way back and moved it around to the left side. If you can hook it up on the right side, more power to you, where there is a will there is a way! But if you want the tachometer to sit right-side up, the way that it looks originally, the black and white connectors in the back hit the bottom of the bracket (behind). The way you have it, there is more clearance as they are now to the left instead of the bottom where the bracket is closet from behind.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:17 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why did you want this ?

Does it help in some way to be a better driver ?

Is it really necessary for a more pure understanding of 944 ownership ?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Ish_944
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Why did you want this ?

RPM readings are more important on the track and on the right it is hard to see...
(Some might just want to copy the 911 setup.)
Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by Ish_944
RPM readings are more important on the track and on the right it is hard to see...
(Some might just want to copy the 911 setup.)
Exactly!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:18 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

The reason for the tach rotation is that the RPM's are easier to see with the needle pointing straight up. Now if this is the same (both needles) as the speedo, the instrument scan is easier. This has been done on racing cars for many, many years.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:58 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Default ~~

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
The reason for the tach rotation is that the RPM's are easier to see with the needle pointing straight up. Now if this is the same (both needles) as the speedo, the instrument scan is easier. This has been done on racing cars for many, many years.

I have competed on track since 1985 with various 944s ( normally aspirated and 951 ) and never once had the issue you describe. Tach position and needle swing are in perfect line of sight from where I am positioned in the car, BUT:

In fact, rarely do I find it necessary to even look at the tach while on a road course, as I have learned the sound dynamics associated with correct shift points ~ there is an intuitive 'read' that occurs within the brain as to proper shifting. The tach is merely there as a reference to determine a proximity read. If serious, a tattler is the way to go in determining where a shift occurred if questioned in the paddock by driver or team member.

of course that may just be me. And a few thousand others who haven't done it. Guess that may possibly be the difference in our interpretations.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:57 AM
jr10cross
Racer

I have competed on track since 1985 with various 944s ( normally aspirated and 951 ) and never once had the issue you describe. Tach position and needle swing are in perfect line of sight from where I am positioned in the car, BUT:

In fact, rarely do I find it necessary to even look at the tach while on a road course, as I have learned the sound dynamics associated with correct shift points ~ there is an intuitive 'read' that occurs within the brain as to proper shifting. The tach is merely there as a reference to determine a proximity read. If serious, a tattler is the way to go in determining where a shift occurred if questioned in the paddock by driver or team member.

of course that may just be me. And a few thousand others who haven't done it. Guess that may possibly be the difference in our interpretations.
Don't ever respond to any of my posts with such stupidity and close mindedness. Anyone can do whatever they want to their vehicle. It's their expression and they are allowed it. I won't tolerate the snob mentality that "I don't do it that way so anyone that does it differently is stupid" even if it's given in a "just sayin" tone.

Hey smart guy get this, tach are cool. Whether you mount on the left, the right, or the middle. Whether u put them right side up or upside down. Got it. We don't care about your track days or how many race you've enter on Grand Turismo (EA)

If you were really about the racing then you would know that whatever you can do to shave seconds off lap time is totally worth it. If all drivers did things the same way the race would always end in a tie!
Old 11-24-2015, 02:10 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Don't ever respond to any of my posts with such stupidity and close mindedness. Anyone can do whatever they want to their vehicle. It's their expression and they are allowed it. I won't tolerate the snob mentality that "I don't do it that way so anyone that does it differently is stupid" even if it's given in a "just sayin" tone.

Hey smart guy get this, tach are cool. Whether you mount on the left, the right, or the middle. Whether u put them right side up or upside down. Got it. We don't care about your track days or how many race you've enter on Grand Turismo (EA)

If you were really about the racing then you would know that whatever you can do to shave seconds off lap time is totally worth it. If all drivers did things the same way the race would always end in a tie!

Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 11-24-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:11 AM
Karl_W944
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Come on guys. Let's not duke it out over something as trivial as the location of the tachometer. Yes, it's location is important and Porsche put it where it is for a reason, but people modify cars in ways the manufacturers may not have intended from the factory. Of course it's not gonna offer any performance benefit for a street driven car, it may just be for aesthetic reasons solely. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and tastes, even if they don't always agree. I haven't had any track experience or even autocross(yet) with my 944, but hearing it from someone who has done so for much longer than I've been alive is extremely valuable information and insight on it's worth. Making a somewhat aggressive and uncalled comment and talking bad about someone's car with a snide retort, and on the internet, is meaningless and a waste of energy. Nothing was or ever will be gained from it nor will it make a positive difference.

I'm not saying make up and get along, nor do I mean to come off like a mod or anything, but the 944 community already seems small enough(to me at least), let's not try to make smaller than it already is?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:52 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by Karl_W944
Come on guys. Let's not duke it out over something as trivial as the location of the tachometer. Yes, it's location is important and Porsche put it where it is for a reason, but people modify cars in ways the manufacturers may not have intended from the factory. Of course it's not gonna offer any performance benefit for a street driven car, it may just be for aesthetic reasons solely. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and tastes, even if they don't always agree. I haven't had any track experience or even autocross(yet) with my 944, but hearing it from someone who has done so for much longer than I've been alive is extremely valuable information and insight on it's worth. Making a somewhat aggressive and uncalled comment and talking bad about someone's car with a snide retort, and on the internet, is meaningless and a waste of energy. Nothing was or ever will be gained from it nor will it make a positive difference.

I'm not saying make up and get along, nor do I mean to come off like a mod or anything, but the 944 community already seems small enough(to me at least), let's not try to make smaller than it already is?
I'm definitely with you on learning from other's experience, I just don't want it to stifle other's creativity and free thought. We get enough of that in the real world, don't it taint or "project mine" world. I wasn't offended, I just want my posts to be motivational not discouraging.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Smike
Instructor

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you want this ?

Ok Mrsmartyjeans. Mine is a $600 "barn find". Not some Concours d'Elegance winning Grade 1 car.

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
This. Driver preference on how I read gauges. All of my race car gauges have the needles at 1200. That way, in a quick glance, I can see if its good/bad.

Wow. Me too! Add two championships and I've played with pro rides (need more funding to play in that league - anyone have a free $100k?). Corvettes, Mustangs, 911 Cups, BMWs, anything with wheels...

That's great that your tach is where you want it.

As an instructor and driving coach, you technique though is wrong. Listening for the shift point, as cool as it makes you sound, is not how actual racing is done. I'm watching my tach in nearly every corner to see if I bettering the last time around (carrying more speed). Its a way to measure a corner. It also gets captured in my session notes and I reference back to the video+car data logging so I can find time.

I like this guy ^

I was able to swing my tach from normal to the 1200 range (as it is now). Maybe I had a little more room? Not sure.

Originally Posted by Karl_W944

Damn! I was hoping this mod added at least 100 more horsepower.

And hey, the internet is serious business.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Smike:
we live parallel lives with different preferences;

That's all.

I actually have a barn find series 2 car I paid $75 less for. And still didn't hacksaw the dash support OR plastidip the exterior. Then make videos extolling those merits and "encouraging" or "motivating" others to do likewise.

Do 'what ever' to your car. And, makes the rest of our cars worth more. I search for answers as to what it takes to calling anyone names ( something a gentleman driver or racer does NOT do , ESPECIALLY an Instructor ) wth ?

Am merely saying:

Respect the merits of a well engineered, quality Sportscar. And do it without being "THAT previous owner". You know the one. We have all bought used Porsches from him .....

the guy wielding a hacksaw and a cell phone camera. But with few maint. regimens, glowstix under the rockers, and 6 year old brake fluid and anti-freeze under the hood. Maybe a coffee can on the exhaust tip..... but with 4,000 You Tube views. (eyeroll)

Thanks for your thoughts

Quick Reply: Early 944 Tachometer relocation tips