Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 944 Tachometer relocation tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Smike
Instructor

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jr10cross - I'll apologize in advance for taking this thread off-topic. I have a hard time settling for this sort of poor mentality. You sir, should keep on rocking. I've subscribed to your YouTube and hope that you grow it more.

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Smike:
we live parallel lives with different preferences;

That's all.

I actually have a barn find series 2 car I paid $75 less for. And still didn't hacksaw the dash support OR plastidip the exterior. Then make videos extolling those merits and "encouraging" or "motivating" others to do likewise.

Do 'what ever' to your car. And, makes the rest of our cars worth more. I search for answers as to what it takes to calling anyone names ( something a gentleman driver or racer does NOT do , ESPECIALLY an Instructor ) wth ?

Am merely saying:

Respect the merits of a well engineered, quality Sportscar. And do it without being "THAT previous owner". You know the one. We have all bought used Porsches from him .....

the guy wielding a hacksaw and a cell phone camera. But with few maint. regimens, glowstix under the rockers, and 6 year old brake fluid and anti-freeze under the hood. Maybe a coffee can on the exhaust tip..... but with 4,000 You Tube views. (eyeroll)

Thanks for your thoughts
(Caveat: The Internet is srs bsnss. Typically, I am too busy with actual life to donate my time in correcting the stupid and silly. Unfortunately - its a vacation day and this may be the fodder for my next Jalopnik article.)

mrpoopyjeans,

First off. Read. I stated that you do not have to cut anything in the dash to move the gauges around. Secondly, if you haven't noticed, gauges can move! Going to do some real Sherlock Holmes stuff here, read closely - if the gauge can move once, then the gauge can move back to its original location. **Pooof - minds blown**

On your dig about me plasticdipping my car. What? You'd rather it be driven around sun bleached, clear coat chipping away, and scratched? Do I have the ability and money to paint this car - yes! Am I going to run out and do it - no! Putting back on my Holmes hat here - plasticdip is temporary! So when I can be bothered - I can peal it off back to the original, tired, pealing paint. **more minds blown**

Here is another test for you: Does it bother you that my Cayenne S has every FabSpeed part too? OMG - its not stock! (heavy sarcasm here)

Before I get to the end of my piece. I'm pretty sure I haven't truly called you a name - yet. Oh, mrtightpanyjeans, have you really run with gentleman drivers or pros? Because we call each other a @#*!ton of names. These are top dog personalities and there is only one winner in a race. We don't get participation trophies in this world. If you do not want to win - you're in the wrong sport. In the inner circle - OSB (other sports beckon).

As an instructor, I know my clients (goals, ability, aspirations) - they'll get driving shoe to *** when needed. No in-you-face yelling - ever. Why? Because in HPDE - there isn't a big trophy with buxom bombshells to hug you after the session. It's a day for the driver to learn how to be a winner.

In the end, congratulations...you are THAT guy. That fart sniffing, wine and cheese chewing, xenophobic, concourse humping - Porsche guy. You know him well. He's the purest with an average Porsche but makes sure to tell all others how they are all wrong and need to wipe their cars with virgin beluga whale oil under a harvest moon - because that's how the Porsche gods want it. You push away people and reinforce this stereotype that gives us all a bad taste about owning a Porsche.

I did enjoy how you first say that you're merely saying that we live in parallel with different preferences then go on to say how all of mine or the OPs are wrong.

How about respecting that we all have Porsches. Of many sizes, shapes, and colors. Here is a young gentleman who has found an older Porsche and is keeping her going. Does he have to spend 40 times the cost of the car to restore it back to a Grade 1 car? Hell no. Respect the fact that he owns and cherishes the car.

Good day sir.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM
jr10cross
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Smike:
we live parallel lives with different preferences;

That's all.

I actually have a barn find series 2 car I paid $75 less for. And still didn't hacksaw the dash support OR plastidip the exterior. Then make videos extolling those merits and "encouraging" or "motivating" others to do likewise.

Do 'what ever' to your car. And, makes the rest of our cars worth more. I search for answers as to what it takes to calling anyone names ( something a gentleman driver or racer does NOT do , ESPECIALLY an Instructor ) wth ?

Am merely saying:

Respect the merits of a well engineered, quality Sportscar. And do it without being "THAT previous owner". You know the one. We have all bought used Porsches from him .....

the guy wielding a hacksaw and a cell phone camera. But with few maint. regimens, glowstix under the rockers, and 6 year old brake fluid and anti-freeze under the hood. Maybe a coffee can on the exhaust tip..... but with 4,000 You Tube views. (eyeroll)

Thanks for your thoughts
Let's start with the fact that you can't read or hear. I never said that I would actually cut the dash bracket to move the tach to the middle. I said that some guys cut the bracket to make it fit. I personally am not interested in cutting the bracket to make it fit, but if someone else wants to, again more power to them.

As stated by Smike, PlastiDip is a temporary solution. I've said that repeatedly in my videos. I'm showing that its an inexpensive option so that you don't have a multi colored/primed Porsche as you go through your restore work. I'm not going to drop $3k on a paint job before really knowing if a $850 car is reliable. I'm going to fix everything else first, make sure the car is completely mechanically sound before making that kind of investment in a paint job. I record these things because I want to put more Porsche 944s' back on the road instead of rotting away in a field. Showing people easy fixes alleviates worry about expensive repairs and causes some people to finally buy a project. No one is hacking at a vehicle and fabing a coffee can for a muffler.

You have shown your true colors sir. The typical 911 owner (as shown in your profile pic) who turns people away from owning a Porsche. You are the one causing vehicle death, because you perpetuate the idea that you have to have a lot of money to own one of these vehicles and that simply isn't true. Passion is the quality needed to own and operate one of these vehicles. That passion can be expressed in many different ways and can yield different results. The varied results may not be to your taste, but isn't it everyone's desire on this forum that every 944 possible be a running vehicle? Of course it is.

Go away @ mrgreenjeans;12788292. We don't want your narrow mindedness.
We want to encourage and not discourage. @ Smike, you are the man! https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlin...on.gif:rockon: I still have a lot more to learn and welcome individuals of your demeanor!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:11 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving Guys !

your banter made my day ......

some of my tight blue jean wearing, (poopy filled and plastidipped) Porsche track junkies are waiting to meet you two. You'll readily identify us by our lack of track skills, our faded original paint, and our uncanny abilities to differentiate the 'nose' of a proper box wine, flatulence, or gouda.

But, so be it. We are still on the bottom side of the learning curve, but coming on strong due to the professional videos we've been watching and the desire to learn more 'advanced' training from pros rather than our ol' playstations can provide.

Looking forward to that new You-Tube version providing 'glow-stik' enhancement lighting for our next night race (-;}

"to infinity and BEYOND ....."
Old 11-25-2015, 12:22 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I like the speedometer in the middle. I'm no race car driver, but I like to know the speed I'm going after I slow down so I know what gear to downshift in to. I rarely look at the tachometer for up shifting.

Gentleman please let's not have another pissing contest on the eve of Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:25 PM
Smike
Instructor

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a PlayStation?

PS - you are now Internet (in)famous. For all the wrong (errr-right) reasons. Lol

Oh? I'm a PCA instructor. I'll be looking for you too. I'll be that guy instructing you on how to read your gauges and keep two hands on the wheel. I know. That could be a lot in the novice session.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:48 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Happy Thanksgiving Guys !

your banter made my day ......

some of my tight blue jean wearing, (poopy filled and plastidipped) Porsche track junkies are waiting to meet you two. You'll readily identify us by our lack of track skills, our faded original paint, and our uncanny abilities to differentiate the 'nose' of a proper box wine, flatulence, or gouda.

But, so be it. We are still on the bottom side of the learning curve, but coming on strong due to the professional videos we've been watching and the desire to learn more 'advanced' training from pros rather than our ol' playstations can provide.

Looking forward to that new You-Tube version providing 'glow-stik' enhancement lighting for our next night race (-;}

"to infinity and BEYOND ....."
Really took the high road there. Only took 3 posts to find my first 'winner' on this forum. I'm glad making fun of others hard work and reading them defend themselves makes your day. I do not wish you a Thanksgiving, I wish you a slice of humble pie!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:13 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

I looked at this to see about tachometers.

Then it turned into this completely hysterical thread. This really broke the monotony of the typical stuff that goes on here. You guys are too funny. Keep it up!
Old 11-25-2015, 02:10 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Smike
In the end, congratulations...you are THAT guy. That fart sniffing, wine and cheese chewing, xenophobic, concourse humping - Porsche guy. You know him well. He's the purest with an average Porsche but makes sure to tell all others how they are all wrong and need to wipe their cars with virgin beluga whale oil under a harvest moon - because that's how the Porsche gods want it. You push away people and reinforce this stereotype that gives us all a bad taste about owning a Porsche.
Lol, awesome.

I've seen tons of threads from rennlist get posted on other car forums purely for people to laugh at those types of people. Rennlist, and Porsche owners in general, definitely have that reputation. It's unfortunate because there are tons of cool people I've met that own Porches(especially 944s) and don't fit that stereotype.

To contribute something valuable to this thread though, if you don't want to run your tach cockeyed to get the needle to point at 12:00 at redline, take a look at swapping over to 924 guages. Not only do they look way nicer being black/white/red vs. black/yellow, but there are multiple options for tachs that have the redline already at 12:00.

God forbid anyone takes that advice though because that would be "customizing" and that's only for those Honda kids, not us Porsche folks...
Old 11-25-2015, 03:44 PM
jr10cross
Racer

I like, I like, great idea! the 924 tach doesn't have the mpg gauage which gives you a little more clearance (in the back) from the dash bracket. Thanks for the post and pics @ RoyaleWithCheese

But mrgreenjeans disagrees with this concept. "How could you put 924 gauges in a 944? A 924 isn't even a real Porsche" he will lament. "If Porsche wanted the tachometer in the middle they would have put it there, moving the gauges is a sign of disloyalty" would be his response. Go ahead mrgreenjeans, we're all waiting to hear your bias answer. Why stop now, we are waiting for you to take the wind out of our sail!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:48 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

So sorry to disturb your world.

The Porsche 924 IS a real Porsche, just as every one is and was from the beginning of time with the Porsche name affixed ..... yes, even the 914 with the so called VW flat fours and the 924 with the Audi derived engine.

This option IS a wonderful adaptation as suggested, utilizing the black gauges. In the center for those who want it. I am not one of those..... I like my gauge where it is because it fits my line of sight well on track and in a corner ( most of them are righthanded corners on my hometrack where I can, If needed, make a glance there as well ).

It does not incorporate the 'hacksaw' mentality you seem to embrace with your videos. It gives those with a desire to have their tachs read at 12:00 redline, the option of a viable solution without taking away from the aesthetic. Without cutting the brace behind the speedo bezel to use the tach placement in the center.

I seem to think you have read FAR more into my posts in your desire to be defensive than necessary or with a sense of reason.

Now I must go.

There is a new message from our driver's instructor friend issuing a mandate I need an update to my original 9 and 3 positioning of hands on my sport steering wheel. It seems I must modify it to read in 24 hour scale, and I don't have enough fingers and toes to count that high.

Bear with me to adjust accordingly.

After I check on plastidip pricing in my area. May want to send a few cans of it to folks for the Holidays. On kind of a pay it forward plan /-;

{ requesting 'bumble berry pie' instead of the humble pie. It gives me purple teeth to grin back at you with }
Old 11-25-2015, 05:10 PM
jr10cross
Racer

So sorry to disturb your world.

The Porsche 924 IS a real Porsche, just as every one is and was from the beginning of time with the Porsche name affixed ..... yes, even the 914 with the so called VW flat fours and the 924 with the Audi derived engine.

This option IS a wonderful adaptation as suggested, utilizing the black gauges. In the center for those who want it. I am not one of those..... I like my gauge where it is because it fits my line of sight well on track and in a corner ( most of them are righthanded corners on my hometrack where I can, If needed, make a glance there as well ).

It does not incorporate the 'hacksaw' mentality you seem to embrace with your videos. It gives those with a desire to have their tachs read at 12:00 redline, the option of a viable solution without taking away from the aesthetic. Without cutting the brace behind the speedo bezel to use the tach placement in the center.

I seem to think you have read FAR more into my posts in your desire to be defensive than necessary or with a sense of reason.

Now I must go.

There is a new message from our driver's instructor friend issuing a mandate I need an update to my original 9 and 3 positioning of hands on my sport steering wheel. It seems I must modify it to read in 24 hour scale, and I don't have enough fingers and toes to count that high.

Bear with me to adjust accordingly.

After I check on plastidip pricing in my area. May want to send a few cans of it to folks for the Holidays. On kind of a pay it forward plan /-;

{ requesting 'bumble berry pie' instead of the humble pie. It gives me purple teeth to grin back at you with }
as I look at you in my rear view in my S60R!
Old 11-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

As a racer, as opposed to DE, for the first few corners listening to your engine is useless because with other race cars close around you, you can't hear it! That's why serious race cars have LEDs on the wheel which sequentially predict the redline. Without them a tach which is easy to read is a help. For DE maybe not so much.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:05 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

^^^^^^^

totally agree on all aspects Bob !
Old 11-25-2015, 08:08 PM
jr10cross
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
As a racer, as opposed to DE, for the first few corners listening to your engine is useless because with other race cars close around you, you can't hear it! That's why serious race cars have LEDs on the wheel which sequentially predict the redline. Without them a tach which is easy to read is a help. For DE maybe not so much.
Good point Bob. I remember purchasing my first 944 and noticing how hard it was to view the tach. Really appreciate the feedback. I agree totally.But I just want to say I'm not a racer, not yet at least. I just love the 944 for what it is, on city roads. I had an rx8 and I liked the large tach in the middle so I thought why not try it with the 944 and record potential issues. That was the reason for this post.

I text a good autocross friend this post and he linked it on his GRM. They had a few words.

I posted a link on Grassroots Motorsports to your thread.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...1/#post1940202
Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 PM
jr10cross
Racer

@mrgreenjeans this a picture of my first non plasti dipped 944. She was perfect. 2 years ago I took it to a shop for an engine replacement because oil pressure went and seized the crank barings. I got the quote purchase a grade A engine and drop the car off after hours. The lead mechanic/shop owner found out a week later that I was black, which is exceptional in Howell, MI. All of a sudden my car being fixed was him doing me a favor with no timeline for finishing in sight.

In short, after wipping spit from face and being called ignorant repeatedly I called the police. They tried to triple the repair cost without finishing, illegally held my car for 13 months. I got them sanctioned, won my court case, but they returned my car with half an engine. I took a total loss on the vehicle and had to sell it for nothing.

After that loss, I don't have $8k for a 944 in great condition. I'm recovering from what happened. But I do have just enough to bring one back slowly and not let what happened be the final story. You may not agree with what I do to my car, but you shouldn't judge.

Quick Reply: Early 944 Tachometer relocation tips