Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch cyls replace + brake bleed - order of operations question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:34 PM
jbob
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch cyls replace + brake bleed - order of operations question

So i am creeping in my rare bits of spare time closer to having my car back. doing the master/slave and line combo replacement.

bought the motive power bleeder.

right now i have flushed the fluid from the lines and am waiting on a blue hose and will do the replacements etc.

figure its also good to probably refresh the fluid on my brakes.

so i am wondering when in the chain of events should i bleed my brakes. note that right now the reservoir is empty. (would any of you try to swab out or further clean the reservoir? - its not filthy or anything, but i don't know when last it was changed or cleaned)

also, on a youtube video i saw, the german guy used compressed air on all the hoses to clean them before he installed. i don't have an air compressor, is that important?

thanks
Old 10-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Mach944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently replaced my clutch master/slave, clutch pipe, blue hose, brake lines,
and had a shop refurb my calipers.

Once everything was back in place, my method using a Motive bleeder (dry) was:

1) Flushed the entire system with denatured alcohol, bleeding in sequence everything
3-4 times until all junk was cleared. Sequence was left rear, right rear, right front,
left front, then clutch. (Furthest from reservoir to closest) Alcohol is cheaper than brake
fluid and it allowed me to flush all I wanted plus check for leaks without brake fluid
possibly dripping around.

2) Purged the entire system with air to clear out the alcohol.

3) Filled and bled in sequence 3-4 times with brake fluid while tapping on the lines
& calipers etc. to dislodge any stubborn bubbles. I also ran the car and pumped the
two pedals between bleedings to work out any bubbles there as well.

Might have been overkill, but the results have been solid.

Quick Reply: clutch cyls replace + brake bleed - order of operations question