Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late 944 wiring expert help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 02:35 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Late 944 wiring expert help needed

Today I wanted to see what wire(s) were shorting to ground preventing me from having a clock and interior lights. I pulled up the fusebox and based on what I believed to be the correct block based on the wire color I removed the connector with the pink trim. I tested a fuse in the the short and it did not blow so this was the correct one.

I identified three wires that have continuity to ground.
GN/BR
GN
GR/BL

GN seems to connect to the clock and shows D82, G82, L82 on the wiring diagram.

GR/BL connects to the pot that adjust the dimmer and cig lighter?

I cannot locate the GN/BR in the wiring diagram (although the BR looks more orange)

The fuse that controls these blows the moment you install it so one of these three wires has a short. The crazy part is the wire looms all look pristine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Last edited by CVR_Rally; 10-09-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the overhead lights and glove box lights for shorts, i broke the connector on my glove box light when putting my dash back together, clock and lights worked fine for a while but then the wire moved, shorted and boom. no more clock.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:22 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Arominus
Check the overhead lights and glove box lights for shorts, i broke the connector on my glove box light when putting my dash back together, clock and lights worked fine for a while but then the wire moved, shorted and boom. no more clock.
Those are fine. I've gone as far as disconnecting everything known to connect to the fuse at the same time. Plus, the wires that run to the glovebox are not the colors that have continuity to ground.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Here some links I found to be super helpful in this quest.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-diagrams.html

And a video

Chris
Old 10-12-2015, 09:36 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Good video.

I don't know about those specific wires... but if they're going to the clock, dimmer and lighter socket, what I'd do is unplug each of them from their respective components and then see if it blows the fuse. If not, then your problem is with a specific component. If it does, then the problem is likely in the wiring loom. But I have a hunch you're going to find one of the components suspect.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:21 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Yes I have pulled everything at the same time and it still cooks the fuse. I'm printing all the wiring diagrams and will see if I can trace them all.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:31 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

I have reviewed the wiring diagrams for Fuse 11. The only color that is part of F11 that is grounding is K43 which goes to the buzzer contact. I read somewhere that this is the switch on the seatbelt harness that activates the gong?

The other part I need help identifying is the Red wire coming off the cigarette lighter that shows going to the instrument cluster to something labeled HSA. I have no idea what that is.

UPDATE:
As I wrote this I continued to trace the Green which leads around the clock. The PO installed an aftermarket radio. I see GN also continues to the radio and as that is shorting to ground I have a sneaking suspicion that although the radio works I am getting a short to ground on the green.

Chris
Old 10-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

You might be onto something!
Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Well no so much luck yet. I had a little time tonight and pulled the radio out...what a rat's nest of wires from the PO.

Well there is only the larger 2.5 GN wire that supplies voltage when the key is turned. This works properly. I think I misread the diagram and than the 1.0 GN wire is showing coming from the harness but really is going to the clock pin 15.

The other GN wire coming from F11 is going to something called a "Buzzer Contact". Where the heck is that?
The diagram says the other end of this contact connects to G16 (The Gong Relay). The gong works on doors, headlights, etc. I don't think it works with the seatbelt but I see a 2nd switch for that listed.

The 3rd picture shows the part I mean. I put the other two up for 1.0 GN wire reference.

Chris
Attached Images    
Old 10-13-2015, 10:16 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

I think "buzzer contact" is the little switch in the door sill. I've seen these these stop working...

Does your dome light work? How about if you can operate the electric windows before you open the doors, but after you turn the key off?
Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
I think "buzzer contact" is the little switch in the door sill. I've seen these these stop working...

Does your dome light work? How about if you can operate the electric windows before you open the doors, but after you turn the key off?
The door switches are different and have several wires coming from them. They do work and set the gong off. No dome light because that's on the F11 leg and has a short. I originally had hoped it was one of the light contacts causing the failure but only the GN lead tests to ground.
Unless you mean somewhere else?

This is the door switch and it is listed on a different page.

If I cannot find this buzzer contact part which may be where the short is I am going to remove the GN lead from the block at the fusebox and see if I can get a fuse to hold.

EDIT:
Looks like the only place the GN from Fuse11 goes is this Buzzer Contact switch. The GN on the clock is suppose to be tied to the continuous voltage same as the radio from what I can see. That probably supplies the backup voltage so that it doesn't lose time.
The GR wire comes from the light switch so I gather that controls the backlight.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CVR_Rally; 10-13-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:35 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

UPDATE:
Tonight I pulled the K block from the fuse panel again to see what was shorting.
Sure enough it is the green one...but I didn't notice before the same point has a BLUE wire. Nowhere in the wiring diagram for the entire K block is there supposed to be a blue wire.

I removed the connector from the block, re-assembled it, and put a fuse in F11. It now holds. However I still don't have a clock or interior lights but the Cig higher light came on. Now I can finally start testing voltages and see what's actually working.

But as for the mystery wires here is a pic. I pulled this from K43 on the wiring diagram.

Chris
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2015, 02:51 PM
CVR_Rally
Pro

The wiring in my particular car sure is funky.
By removing that connector I now have power to the interior light (which works on the passenger door switch but not the drivers), Cig lighter and Clock.

I think the clock is only getting half the power as the PO's terrible wiring job with the radio seems to indicate a missing green wire that is supposed to supply power. That's tomorrow's job.

On an unrelated side note I did repair the rear defroster but installing proper hatch shocks.

Quick Reply: Late 944 wiring expert help needed