Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:24 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Resetting airbag light

On Clarks Garage there is the procedure to reset the airbag light. It discusses a plug which you use to reset. Can't find that plug anywhere. Says it's under the dash on passenger side. Looked under both sides, no joy.

Anyone know where she lives? I have an 88 Turbo.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-12.htm

Under the dash on the passenger's side of the vehicle (LHD cars), you'll find a white Molex connector with three female pins (diagram below).
Old 09-25-2015, 09:49 AM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's there, you have to look by the DME's wiring, the white molex connector is only 1" wide but it's there.

Get a stopwatch, run your ground to a clean shiny ground, some people run it all the way to the battery and make sure you get as close to 5 seconds as this is crucial for timing, usually takes multiple tries to get it right.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just take it to the dealer. They'll plug the Bosch gun to the ABS module and reset it for free.

I tried making the switch, etc. as per Clark's Garage but couldn't get it to work.

Dealer did it in about 30 seconds.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:06 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Copy. So gotta pull the carpet back and access the DME area? I was looking immediately under the dash, effectively under the glovebox.

Thanks,
Matt

Originally Posted by fiily
It's there, you have to look by the DME's wiring, the white molex connector is only 1" wide but it's there.

Get a stopwatch, run your ground to a clean shiny ground, some people run it all the way to the battery and make sure you get as close to 5 seconds as this is crucial for timing, usually takes multiple tries to get it right.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:11 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Matt, I just saw this. In the future if i can help just let me know, if i remember your not too far from me in Cary and we have all the scan tools from the Hammer to Piwis 2.

Mark
Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 AM
fiily
Pro

I'll take a picture tonight after work to show where this elusive molex plug is in the passenger footwell. Stay Tuned
Old 10-21-2015, 10:40 AM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Just take it to the dealer. They'll plug the Bosch gun to the ABS module and reset it for free.

I tried making the switch, etc. as per Clark's Garage but couldn't get it to work.

Dealer did it in about 30 seconds.
Our closest porsche dealer is 1 hour away and that's probably the norm as with other porsche owners, not worth the hassle/time it takes when with some patience, it can be resolved in a couple of minutes and 10 cents worth of wire.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by fiily
Our closest porsche dealer is 1 hour away and that's probably the norm as with other porsche owners, not worth the hassle/time it takes when with some patience, it can be resolved in a couple of minutes and 10 cents worth of wire.
I haven't gone back to look for the plug, but is it in the DME area or readily accessible without pulling back the carpet?
Old 10-23-2015, 01:50 PM
fiily
Pro

Originally Posted by Matt O.
I haven't gone back to look for the plug, but is it in the DME area or readily accessible without pulling back the carpet?
Up in this area by the dme, you should see it without pulling back the carpet up there too much.

I'll try to remember taking a pic tonight.

Last edited by fiily; 04-19-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:31 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brought my 944 S2 to the authorized Porsche dealer in Barrington to get this done. Service adviser tells me they do not have the tool to get this done after the car is in the shop. Stay tuned.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:58 PM
marky522
Drifting

Originally Posted by steve g
Brought my 944 S2 to the authorized Porsche dealer in Barrington to get this done. Service adviser tells me they do not have the tool to get this done after the car is in the shop. Stay tuned.
what year is your car?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:27 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

You have to make the "tool" (a few spliced wires) per the Clarks Garage page.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:00 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Matt. To be clear, you are saying that there was never a specific tool that Porsche dealers had that could simply plug into some diagnostic connector to switch off the airbag light ? I was under the impression that the Bosch Hammer could do that.

I am looking at the Clark's Garage procedure now and will try it this weekend.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2017, 06:45 PM
marky522
Drifting

Thanks Matt. To be clear, you are saying that there was never a specific tool that Porsche dealers had that could simply plug into some diagnostic connector to switch off the airbag light ? I was under the impression that the Bosch Hammer could do that.

Thanks
thats why i asked what year your car is. If it has the round connector in the passenger foot well for the Bosch hammer then no you will not be able to reset it. If it doesnt have it then all you need is 2 pieces of wire and the directions from clarks garage.

Mark
Old 08-31-2017, 02:07 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks
Apologies Steve. To clarify, I am not sure if there is or is not a "special tool" -- I just know the Clarks Garage "tool" takes about 2 minutes to build. Your dealer probably doesn't know because, well, it's a 944 and not a Cayman.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Resetting airbag light