Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 01:01 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Fronkenstein
That tab is one of the harness tabs that are bolted on the top front of the water pump. And that is what got sandwiched between the cylinder and the head.

On top of everything else, how does it get clipped ONTO the head gasket??? I mean.... how does that even happen!?! I've seen a lot of crazy things, but that's right up on the top of the list!!!

That suspension is going to be wicked!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!

I hear ya. I've seen a lot of damaged engines and found ask kinds of stuff floating around in them. But never have I seen anything quite like this.

The only thing I can possibly imagine is that they used some sort of spray adhesive and it picked up the tab. Other than that it's like the JFK assassination - a mystery not soon, if ever, to be solved.

Yeah I can't wait to get her together. Tomorrow we are putting the suspension, torque tube and transmission in. Then the weekend we're doing the rest. I will keep you posted.

Fronkenstein
Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Well since that NA motor is trashed, would you consider selling a couple parts off of it? I'm looking for the coolant hardpipe that runs over the exhaust headers, and the water neck (that has the bleed screw in it).
Old 02-29-2016, 10:08 AM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Sure PM me
Old 03-01-2016, 11:26 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

So we (me and an 18 year old kid I am mentoring) went up to the shop today and we got the 6 speed transaxle and torque tube place. I also installed Elephant Racing poly bronze spring plate bearings. We ran out of time but the torsion tube, coilovers and engine will be going in this weekend
Attached Images        
Old 03-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Nice to see that the 6 speed went into the opening well. Kinda gives me hope for the future..
Old 03-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Nice to see that the 6 speed went into the opening well. Kinda gives me hope for the future..
Yeah its a little snug. We mounted the bracket to the transaxle and lowered the car onto the assembly which was suspended on jack stands. Doing it this way requires that you start the bolt on with 4" bolts and then push one side up and then put in the correct bolt (which has to be longer than the original due to the thickness of the aluminum carrier) and catch two rotation of threads and then the same on the other side. Then we tightened both sides right down hard. The carrier will force itself into the spare tire well but that isn't an issue since its stationary.

All in all its not a bad job although not one I would want to do without a lift at my age

Fronkenstein
Old 03-03-2016, 12:36 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I always call up a buddy when I reinstall the tranny, we use 2 jacks. One to lift it up, and one near the tail housing to adjust the "pitch" as it goes up. Once the mounts are loosely bolted it's usually pretty easy to align it to the torque tube. 30 minute job if you've done it before.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:50 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by odonnell
I always call up a buddy when I reinstall the tranny, we use 2 jacks. One to lift it up, and one near the tail housing to adjust the "pitch" as it goes up. Once the mounts are loosely bolted it's usually pretty easy to align it to the torque tube. 30 minute job if you've done it before.
Yeah except we're installing the torque tube, the transaxle and carrier all as one assembly. Being that I am 54 and my brother is 73 we're a bit slower

Fronkenstein
Old 03-04-2016, 02:00 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
+1,000,000

I'm wanting to find out what else will bolt up back there too..... PDK anyone????
Old 03-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Here's an update from fronkenstein's Garage. First a big thank you to JShep came up to the great white north for a few hours to lend a hand. It's always great to meet fellow enthusiasts. We had a slow start - work beckoned and a one hour phone call ensued. However we got under way and had a great time.

Besides cleaning parts we were able to install: the Elephant poly bronze bushings; the torsion tube; the trailing arms; rear coilovers; lower control arms with delrin bushings and rebuilt with a rennsport balljoint kit and new motor mounts.

Drilling and tapping the torsion tube for grease fittings was a real task. The tube send like it was fab'd from spring steel. But I am really excited about his snappy this car will feel with the coilovers (400/450#), delrin bushings, manual steering rack and Elephant poly bronze spring plate bushings.

I am starting out with 16" 6/8J Borbet wheels with medium soft Dunlop street / track tires. If I don't like them I will be going with my 17" 7/9J wheels and Michelin Cup 1's.

I am headed up Monday morning for another go at it. We still have balance shaft seals to do Everything else on this engine and to have been serviced less than 2K miles ago. So here's a plug for Los Angeles Auto Parts LAAP (ebay losangelesautoparts).

When I told them I needed everything to turn this NA into an 'S3' including cooling system, that is what I received for $5K shipped to my shop! And everything is top notch quality. That required little mental deliberation as to the cost versus value.

LAAP has built many 944 hybrids as well as turbo charging and super charging these conversations. And they told me to contact them with any questions. A very helpful crew.

After some back and forth with them with questions, Dave at LAAP, said an acquaintance knew the PO of the donor 968 and said the guy had recently dumped $10K into the engine (gawd I can't imagine what kind of service that is!).

Upon opening the valve cover the condition was as new. The cover gaskets are supple as was the sealant used at the cam humps. Cam chain appears new and the adjuster shoes had almost no sign of wear. All belts and rollers are new and possibly the wasserpumpkin .

The only things they did not do is front and rear main seals and balance shaft seals which I intend on doing especially since the right side balance shaft is leaking.

All in all this is a simple and fun swap. The only fab work is for installation of the oil cooler snorkel and 968 air box which requires some minor metal fab and welding. I had to ask for the air box to be included since they expected I would use a K&N filter.

I loathe K&N for street use, perhaps they are great for racing. I live close to the ocean, and travel to the mountains of NH and VT frequently which have a prodigious number of dirt roads both have lots of very fine dust . I have seen to many premature turbo failures due to K&N filters. Perhaps they are not properly maintained, however I am not risking my investment.

That's it for today.

Fronkenstein
Old 03-07-2016, 04:09 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Awesome! I can't believe how easy this is going, nor how little work is involved!!!(little being a subjective term here)

Almost makes me wish..... naw, I won't say it..... but if I ever face a similar situation, this direction will take a very close looking at (if I don't supercharge).

Keep up the updates, loving it!

I'm very, very interested in the six speed conversion.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

So I have run into some snags. I installed early offset knuckles and trailing arms and a manual steering rack. The tie rods are quite hefty (17mm vs 15mm wrenching points) but they are also 1.5" too short. I have no idea what i am looking for as far as part numbers go. Any help would be appreciated.

I also need rotors and I keep seeing ebay auctions for 944 turbo or 951 rotors but they are specifically called out as M030, late offset or turbo s2. And then I've seen turbo rotors that have 10mm holes where the 14mm studs would normally fit thru. So at the risk of repeating myself I have an early offset 951 (not M030) suspension stuffed into an 87 NA - what size (thickness) rotors and if possible what part numbers?

Thanks,

Fronkenstein
Old 03-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

Here is the other half of the snag. So there is a connector on the 968 engine harness that looks like the 928 style power connector which is also in the 944 on the firewall just above the brake booster. However this group of 11 wires and said connector go inside the cabin under the dash. I cannot figure out where it goes. There is nothing like it on the 87 engine harness I pulled out other than the one that connects above the booster in the engine compartment. Does anyone here have a factory 968 manual and can share electrical schematics?

The 11 wire connector is on the 94 968 engine harness that goes into the cabin. The 3 write connector is on the 87 944 engine harness on the cabin side. I have no clue as to what to connect where without a schematic. I guess I could ring of the 968 side pretty easily. And I do have a factory manual for the 944. But any insight would be appreciated.

Fronkenstein
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Fronkenstein
Burning Brakes

So here's the next project
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: "Project 944" started this week - Woo-hoo here we go!