Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering rack option

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 04:38 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default steering rack option

I just had my Zims rebuilt steering rack start puking after 2 years, so I'm looking for info on people's experiences with the various steering rack rebuild options out there. Here's a roundup of the options I'm aware of, and what I know about them:

Porsche: $1721.50 - 2 year warranty
ZF: $995.89 - 2 year warranty
944Online: $449.00 - 2 year warranty
Maval: $454.75 - ?
Atlantic Enterprises: $350.00 - 2 year warranty
Zims: $289 - 1 year warranty
Autozone: $170 - lifetime warranty

Any more options I've missed? For some of these, I got the pricing info from one seller, and the warranty info from another, so I'm not 100% sure that this is accurate. But since the rebuilders are the same it probably is.

I'm leaning towards the Autozone option tbh. From everything I've read, it sounds like they're not too bad, and the lifetime warranty is beyond comparison with anything else.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:18 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
I just had my Zims rebuilt steering rack start puking after 2 years, so I'm looking for info on people's experiences with the various steering rack rebuild options out there. Here's a roundup of the options I'm aware of, and what I know about them:

Porsche: $1721.50 - 2 year warranty
ZF: $995.89 - 2 year warranty
944Online: $449.00 - 2 year warranty
Maval: $454.75 - ?
Atlantic Enterprises: $350.00 - 2 year warranty
Zims: $289 - 1 year warranty
Autozone: $170 - lifetime warranty

Any more options I've missed? For some of these, I got the pricing info from one seller, and the warranty info from another, so I'm not 100% sure that this is accurate. But since the rebuilders are the same it probably is.

I'm leaning towards the Autozone option tbh. From everything I've read, it sounds like they're not too bad, and the lifetime warranty is beyond comparison with anything else.
From everything I've read the power steering systems on these cars are nothing but trouble. Why not just de-power your rack and be done with it?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:01 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tempest411
From everything I've read the power steering systems on these cars are nothing but trouble. Why not just de-power your rack and be done with it?
I've yet to try a depowered rack, but not sure if I'd like it. I do have an my old one so I might give that a try. But I don't really want the steering to be any heavier than it already is, plus I don't think it's entirely safe without modifying the valve, since it would put the load on parts that were not intended to take it.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:21 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are confident in your skills why not rebuild it yourself? I considered getting a rebuilt rack but mine was in good shape and it can be a dice roll on rebuilds. So I rebuilt it myself so far no leaks. It has a lot to do with how carefully you are removing the circlips from the shaft and properly installing the end seals with backing rings. As long as you orient the seals correctly it isn't a hard job. You will spend more time cleaning things.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:04 PM
p-talk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jorgen Automotive is known as the place to go for rebuilt racks for early Audis. They have a solid reputation, a lifetime warranty (if installed by a professional mechanic), and reasonable prices. Since our cars share many parts with Audis of the time period, I would think Jorgen may be a viable option.

http://www.jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/porsche.html
Old 08-25-2015, 09:50 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by porscharu
If you are confident in your skills why not rebuild it yourself? I considered getting a rebuilt rack but mine was in good shape and it can be a dice roll on rebuilds. So I rebuilt it myself so far no leaks. It has a lot to do with how carefully you are removing the circlips from the shaft and properly installing the end seals with backing rings. As long as you orient the seals correctly it isn't a hard job. You will spend more time cleaning things.
yeah I'm thinking about it...it might be worth a shot. What did you need in the way of tools?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:10 PM
porscharu
Pro

You will need a punch set to remove the threaded ring and possibly to remove one of the backing plastic rings. You will also need various size sockets and or PVC parts as seal drivers. IIRC 24mm socket with extension and 1-1/4" coupling for the large seal at the bottom seal on the input shaft. A good moly grease (or any HD grease should suffice) on the rack. A quality set of split ring pliers. Hex key set. You will also need a way to secure the rack with a vice or otherwise to disassemble and reassemble. Nothing watching this video can't solve. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, I didn't know that video was out there. I've heard lots of people say it's very tricky to get the rebuild right, but it doesn't look too bad, assuming there are no difficult parts in disassembly. I do have an old rack here so I could try taking that apart and see what it's like. But with all the other work I have to do, it's still tempting to just grab the Autozone one and be done with it!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:13 AM
porscharu
Pro

Hey, I've got a two year old and six month old so I understand.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an autozone rack in my 944S it has held up well. Considering a diy rebuild on the s2 though
Old 08-31-2015, 10:18 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Well looks like the Autozone option is out. I went in there and they said they're out of stock, and they have no idea when or if they will have them again. I tried ordering it from the website, and it stops me when I get to the checkout - not available. It looks like they don't do them anymore.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:55 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

What did you end up doing? I have an autozone rack that just gave up the ghost today and they are checking with their supplier on Wednesday to see if there are any available. It is not looking good though.

Btw, a little over 4 years. Not to many miles on it though. Just for reference sake.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:00 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
What did you end up doing? I have an autozone rack that just gave up the ghost today and they are checking with their supplier on Wednesday to see if there are any available. It is not looking good though.

Btw, a little over 4 years. Not to many miles on it though. Just for reference sake.
I actually ended up just getting one from Lart instead and it has worked out great so far. If this one leaks I'll keep it and reseal it myself since I know it came from a nice car with reasonably low mileage.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by p-talk
Jorgen Automotive is known as the place to go for rebuilt racks for early Audis. They have a solid reputation, a lifetime warranty (if installed by a professional mechanic), and reasonable prices. Since our cars share many parts with Audis of the time period, I would think Jorgen may be a viable option.

http://www.jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/porsche.html
+1 I have used them for YEARS, last time I sent them a rack they did not have a core so I had to wait a bit and send them mine to re-build. I also had to go though a "Shop" as they did not want to sell direct to individuals for fear they would screw something up, But Starting with my Audi 5000Turbo Quattro up to my now 4th 951 all the racks were perfect. I havent bought a rack in over 5 years but I dont think it was over 300 bucks..
Old 07-05-2017, 03:45 PM
pdxfj
Instructor

Just as a FYI the Autozone racks are available again. Just be sure to inspect them carefully before installing and remove the paint around the areas where the supply and return lines attach.

Quick Reply: steering rack option