Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'84 944 starts but stalls when given gas.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it will not tolerate any real increase off idle...maybe 100 RPM. I have tried as you suggest, slow increase and feathering the peddle with no difference..... It still stalls at the same point, and will not restart (most of the time), for hours.....
Old 12-15-2015, 04:52 PM
GL924s1988
Intermediate

I know this isn't exactly Porsche related but it is problem related. I had an 88 bmw 325i which has a very similar AFM setup to the Porsche and I was experiencing a similar problem . when I hut the gas the car would die and not want to start back up . for me it was the stupidest possible thing and it was a vacuum leak of sorts. The air tube from the amf to the intake was cracked on the bottom of the tube to where you couldn't see it but it was enough to throw the whole car off . I changed that tube and bam problem solved. this may not be the case for you but sometimes the problem is lurking right in plain sight and your over thinking it.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:31 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

See if a loaner DME might help...It did so for triple 7..just a thought. J tube OK and clamped tight?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Hi Guys!

I did just replace all my vaccuum lines, including the one from the AFM.... I also tried a different (used) AFM and DME with no joy..... No change.

At this point if the car wants a ham sandwich to run.... I would buy it one! I am at the end of my abilities/patients.... so I think it is time for some professional help....

My only solace is that all the work I have done to date, would have had to be done anyway.....to make her road worthy....it is Just a little frustrating when all your efforts, improve things not at all..... Maybe this will help me move closer to achieving a higher zen, preferably, where I punch walls, and kick trash cans less!

Thanks for the thoughts..... I will give that area some attention!!!

Thanks!
Fred
Old 12-18-2015, 11:27 AM
GL924s1988
Intermediate

Fred, Have you chanced any of the gaskets , such as intake manifold or throttle body. Again going back to my BMW experience, the e-30 is extremely sensitive to Vacuum leaks from just about everywhere and will keep it from running correctly along with the temp sensors and 02 sensor. Even the smallest leak would make it run like crap , not idle , start and die or not run at all , id do a smoke test on the engine and see if that turns up anything.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Hey GL924s1988,

Yup, did a smoke test, replaced all vac lines.... Even pulled my intake manifold and replaced that nasty $70 dollar "J" hose that lives underneath, and rebuilt my throttle body, and replace all seals and gaskets......

It runs/idles much smoother now.... And I can even (sometimes) get a hard restart after a induced stall.....(after stepping on the gas!)

But whatever keeps causing the stall eludes me..... I tink I have done about all I can.... Time to take it to the shop, and see if they can figure out what is up!!!

Thanks!
F.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:02 AM
Instructor

Hey Gents.

After everyone's help I Just wanted to update.... For the good of the order.

WE FINALLY GOT HER RUNNING!!!

Last week I had some time, and loaded her on a trailer (how did Dirty Harry put it.... "A man's got to know his limitations"! I took her in to M&W Autoservices in Stockton N.J. Was hooked up with Mechanic "Jay", who truly loves these cars! I showed him a copy of this thread, and he was impressed at my level of suffering, and was nice enough not to point out my ignorance, and ham handed wrenching!

(He really is good people and I highly recommend him!!!)

I got the call a few days later that she was running and accepting throttle!!! (Hoo-Rah!!! The demon is dead!)

I am still am a bit mystified at the actual cause(s) of this gremlin..... But it is hard to argue with success! Jay replaced the following items:

Replaced Injectors
Removed incorrect fuel tank to fuel pump hose (Mea Culpa!)
Disconnected Alternator

I did have my injectors rebuilt, but Jay found that only #4 was spraying, and poorly at that, and that was the only warm manifold primary!). The fuel line was rotten, and I replaced it "temporarily"
With a non-factory standard.... I know, the short road to hell!

As for the alternator, Jay noticed that the charge light was lit, and that it would go out after a throttle induced stall..... He found that diconnecting the light blue "charge indicator wire" from the alternator..... Caused the car to run above idle, with good throttle response!!! Woo-Hoo..... We got the band back together, and we are in business!!!

I just want to say thanks to everyone, who chipped in and helped out with advice and ideas...... Mucho's Gracias Amigos!!!!
Thanks Much!!!
Fred

Last edited by 1096369; 05-22-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Instructor

To prove that Herr Doktor Porsche, had a sense of humor...... While replacing the old water pump, with the updated model, (that allows the Use of my buddies timing and balance belt tensioning tools), we drained the raidiator and removed its hoses...... And Oh crap..... Milkshake in the pan!!! Removed water pump, more milkshake..... Removed oil filter..... Oh, ****! You got it...... engine puss!!!

After a string of colorful curses, and some abject panic..... My buddy got me calmed down, dried my tears, blew my nose..... And told me what he thought the issue was.... While I had visions of head gasket replacement..... He said likely not..... Oil Cooler. So with much wringing of hands and knashing of teeth..... I resigned myself to the week required for my friend in the brown truck to faithfully deliver my care package from Mr. Pelican!

As I dejectedly started to clean up.... I happen to glance in the box, that the water pump kit had come in.... I spyed a strange gasket in a glassine Baggie at the very bottom of the box..... Oh, Happy Day!!! The very kit, I needed to rebuild the oil cooler!!! Last summer Daryl Had show the preternatural foresight to make me order the kit, saying.... "One day soon, you will need it, my son". As in most things 944 related.... He was very wise!

While the oil cooler rebuild was not the most fun We have ever had..... (Damn sticky exhaust stud nuts!), Damn my fat fingered hand that simple would not fit under the header, damn my lack of patience and Zen!!! We got it out and cleaned out the offending milkshake/puss. We found that one of the "O" rings was clearly bad.....

Just a word..... What mechanic would go to the considerable pain and trouble of pulling the Oil Cooler..... And replacing only ONE "O" ring???? The one that failed was red.... The other was the updated green one.... While it is the Christian way to be forgiving..... that mechanic from so long ago, was absent from my prayers this night!!! Perhaps with time..... I shall find the grace to be a better person!

(But not likely!!!)

Anyway, we got the water pump in, but ran out of daylight, (and beer) (9 hours was a pretty good days work, for this old man's back!), and as my 944 Sensei is out of town for the week, and I am not comfortable at doing the timing and balance belts solo.... (Yet!), so she sits for yet another week..... Sigh.... Remember I have never even driven this car! Well she needs new sneakers and tie rods anyway.... And I'm thinking about dropping some new seats and carpet in, to replace the nappy train wrecks that are aboard now, anyway..... Not like there is nothing left to do....

So my watch begins.....

My greatest fear is that should I ever sell this car..... She very well may demand alimony!!!

Thanks!
Fred

Name:  image_29.jpeg
Views: 490
Size:  245.2 KB

Name:  image_30.jpeg
Views: 462
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  image_31.jpeg
Views: 490
Size:  243.2 KB

Last edited by 1096369; 05-22-2016 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: '84 944 starts but stalls when given gas.....