Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to put the oil temp sender (in drain plug?) with an oil pan baffle

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:51 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default where to put the oil temp sender (in drain plug?) with an oil pan baffle

How would the reading from an oil temperature sender installed into the drain plug be affected by the presence of an oil pan baffle (with a trap door) which, in normal situations, would be at least partially blocking the flow of oil around the drain plug?

My NA has the sender in the drain plug, I like the set up. I am building a 951 engine and it has an oil pan baffle. I don't really want to put the sender into the turbo drain banjo bolt because I want to see average sump temps, not max. But it might not be good to use the drain plug in my case.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:50 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we just made a hole with threads to oil pan.
backside of the pan, closer to oil drain plug to get possible chips out.
Has been working well so far..
Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

linsey sells an adapter for the oil return hole..be nice to be monitor inlet and outlet temps on the cooler
Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I guess I'll just put one in both the drain plug and turbo drain banjo bolt, compare them for a while, and find out for myself if the reading at the drain plug is affected by the baffle.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:42 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

the baffle is going to transfer the heat by conduction. steady state, everything should read the same.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:53 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an oil level sensor? I took mine out and put the temp sensor there.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do have a level sensor, and I want to keep it.

Steady state, sure, it will probably read right, but I'm worried about on the track, during a left turn. Especially on tracks with mostly left turns (like my home track), the reading may start to lag behind as the engine warms up.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 944hal
Do you have an oil level sensor? I took mine out and put the temp sensor there.
How did you get it low enough to the oil level? Or is it just measuring the pan temp (which is certainly valid).

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I do have a level sensor, and I want to keep it.

Steady state, sure, it will probably read right, but I'm worried about on the track, during a left turn. Especially on tracks with mostly left turns (like my home track), the reading may start to lag behind as the engine warms up.
Not an issue on cornering - the oil temp doesn't fluctuate that much. In fact, to reduce the sizes of your data files, you should have oil and water temp sample at 1 Hz max. (Because they just can't change more quickly than that.)

Oil pressure and RPM should be sampled at 10 Hz or so (maybe up to 50 Hz if you have a lot of storage, but again, they just can't fluctuate that much over the course of a second).

Now, when you get to sampling shock movement, that's a different story. You want that at 200 Hz. At 100 MPH, you cover 150 feet per second. There could easily be dozens, if not hundred, of road surface variations cause shock movement in that one-second slice of time. (Put another way, in 1 foot of distance at that speed, the crank shaft might do a half rotation.)
Old 07-22-2015, 06:12 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]How did you get it low enough to the oil level? Or is it just measuring the pan temp (which is certainly valid).[/QUOTE]
Van,
Putting the oil temp sensor where the oil level sensor was should be low enough to be in the oil itself. Unless, I assume, the oil level drops below the sensor. And yes, it will measure the pan temp.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

The oil level sensor has a little right angle on the end (if you've ever tried to pull one out, you know what I mean). I'm pretty sure the full oil mark is below the level of that hole.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:07 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes the oil level sensor hole seems to be a little high.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:12 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

But the 90 degree angle is turned upward; the float is (a little bit) higher than the hole. I would think the static full oil level would be higher than the hole but I could be wrong.

I have a spare oil pan in the garage, I guess I can try to pour 6 quarts of water into the sump to see if it reaches that hole.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
But the 90 degree angle is turned upward; the float is (a little bit) higher than the hole. I would think the static full oil level would be higher than the hole but I could be wrong.

I have a spare oil pan in the garage, I guess I can try to pour 6 quarts of water into the sump to see if it reaches that hole.
I don't actually remember which way it was turned... but thought it was down.

Please test and let us know what you find!
Old 07-24-2015, 02:32 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Is it weird that the hard part of that test is not finding a spare oil pan (I have 3) but finding a way to measure a quart of water? I'll have to use a 16.9oz water bottle and do the math.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:10 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Alright, in the name of science, I dug out the oil pan with the level sensor hole (it was the mostly deeply buried of the 3... of course...). Note that the black plastic insert is removed. It took 5 16.9oz water bottles to make the meniscus bulge over the edge of the hole, a little bit more and it dribbled out. So that's 84.5 oz which equals 2.64 quarts.

The level at that volume is nearing the level of the back of the pan (which is lower than the front of the pan). The level sensor hole is completely below the level of the front of the pan. I'm pretty sure that with the black plastic insert, and 6.5 quarts of oil, the level is up in the rear of the pan at least partially, and the entire level sensor hole is submerged.

BTW, the level sensor float's bottom represents oil being low by about 2 quarts (when the warning light goes on, it takes about 1qt to bring the level to MIN on the dipstick).

I'm still keeping my level sensor, though.

Quick Reply: where to put the oil temp sender (in drain plug?) with an oil pan baffle