Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, Engine Revs then dies immediately .

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Greatbalance84
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP, Engine Revs then dies immediately .

I have been all over clarks and everywhere, i know it is something small.

We took the 84' to the shop a few months ago, they replaced the fuel filter, fuel check valve and the fuel pump and fuel pump relay. when i first picked it up it cranked and died for about 5 times then finally started, somtimes it took a few cycles somtimes it started on the first cycle.

there were no problems once it ran, not even hesitation. after a few weeks of driving it like that i let it sit for a few weeks then the battery died, and then i finally got it started after lots of trying.
It drove perfect for a day then started hesitating at lower rps, then i drove it like that for 2 days and i pulled into my driveway turned it off then tried to leave and it would not start so i tried all the little tricks like jumping the relay and it turns on, i cleaned the air flow meter and did the contact track adjustment inside (just the contacts).

I took off the spark plug while cranking and checked there is spark while cranking and after it dies.

i sucked on the regulater and diaphrams are good there is no vacum leaks everything is pluged in, there is fuel at the rails.

WHAT IT DOES: Revs up to 800-2000 rpms then dies immidiatly as i let the key go to the on position. i managed to get it started once then let it run for 5 min and it reved perfect with no stumble, so i tread to turn it off then see if it would start..... it did not restart.

i did pull the fuel pump and check valve (to check if they had replaced it ,indeed they had but it was very hard to suck in the plastic piston inside, i tried blowing from the gas tank side it it would not Budge. I assume becuase i dont have as much blowing power as a pump, if not maybe thats it.

I believe it has to be somthing electrical like a ThrottlePositionSensor, i have been messing with this thing for a month now and it needs to work or go byebye. Cry

Please help thanks, 9132061561 (Call or text!) Located in sPringfield Illinois!!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

then dies immidiatly as i let the key go to the on position
Have you replaced the ignition switch?
Old 07-06-2015, 12:45 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnected AFM can cause this. Clean the connector contacts and verify continuity in the harness. You can try unplugging the throttle position sensor, it is not necessary for the car to run but if it has a short it can prevent the car from running.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:18 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Checking the tps is easy. Do what was suggested above. But first you can try something easier: with the engine off, open the hood and go to the tps/throttle cable. When you move the throttle cam, you should hear the tps click right when you start to budge the throttle.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:35 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Oops

Quick Reply: HELP, Engine Revs then dies immediately .