Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it weird to want every single thing working on the car as if it was new?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:54 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan87951
My 87' Turbo is almost perfect except for AC delete kit (young and dumb) and the sunroof is erratic..
Same here - I am collecting all the bits and pieces and plan on going back to working A/C...as of right now its basically a 2 seasons car. Also I deleted power steering - while not a big deal and still fine to drive might add that back in as well at some point.

You should post pics of the 86 turbo you picked up.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Same here - I am collecting all the bits and pieces and plan on going back to working A/C...as of right now its basically a 2 seasons car. Also I deleted power steering - while not a big deal and still fine to drive might add that back in as well at some point.

You should post pics of the 86 turbo you picked up.
Hey Sam,
Yea, we were all about speed and horsepower in those days. Now I'm too old to live without AC, especially in a black car. I had no idea you did the power steering delete in your car. Is it a bare to turn the wheel in slow maneuvers? At least you don't have to deal with the pressure hoses constantly leaking.

Here are the pics of the 86' I picked up. I couldn't resist the classic fuchs and the M474 suspension package. It totally screams 80's! Car is pretty much bone stock other then a AutoAuthority chip kit. I think it's spec'd pretty close to your car when it was new (M474, 220, sport seats, and fuchs). I don't think yours had fuchs though? The car was also optioned from the factory without the rear "turbo" badge. I didn't know this was possible but was interesting to find when I decoded the options. Hope all is well bud!
Attached Images       
Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So envious, Dan!

Looks great!

What does that run, in your neck of the woods? No biggie if that is too personal.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:57 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Very nice score Dan, sport seats, lsd, fuchs! Awesome! She looks great, the older I get the more I like them stock (looking) - Id miss the power! The steering isn't bad, great actually once driving but in a parking lot / driveway takes a bit of muscle.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Very nice score Dan, sport seats, lsd, fuchs! Awesome! She looks great, the older I get the more I like them stock (looking) - Id miss the power! The steering isn't bad, great actually once driving but in a parking lot / driveway takes a bit of muscle.
Thanks Sam! That's why you need two 951's, a stock one and a modified one.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:10 AM
V996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be awesome for everything to work in the car and look new and all that. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally on my 924S, I take it out on a sunny day and just drive it with a smile on my face. As long as the driving is fun, I couldn't care less about the rear defroster not working, the sunroof gears being messed up, speedometer needle not reading correctly (I can tell how fast I'm going by the tach). Just dumb little things that don't affect the performance or reliability of the car. I'll get around to tackling those things in the winter when I won't be able to take it out very much.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything works on my S2, and also did on my 924S, my 944S got there eventually (stupid A/C).
Old 07-07-2015, 03:17 PM
Briby
Advanced

Not weird at all, but definitely expensive. Even new cars have their little quirks and things that you have to learn in order to make them function the way you want them to.

That being said, if something simply doesn't work that you want to work (AC, or in my case, turn signal indicators on my 914), then I think you are reasonable to want it addressed.

(my 914, if you're curious) http://www.motoroso.com/531600026cae...8843520/My+914

Cars like Porsches are meant to be enjoyed, so do whatever you have to in order to make that happen.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:03 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Obviously everyone will have a different perspective on this topic. I find my attitude varies with individual cars. I have a 91 S2 cab that was bought as a wrecked, parts car that I rebuilt (not restored) but it is still a work in progress. Honestly, I can say to that project, what wasn't damaged, broken, abused or not working! There were many times, I had eye-watering moments when I repaired a vital malfunction only to have two more problems turn up. I have been one wrench turn away from going with a late model Boxster with low mileage where I can drive it with a smile rather than trying to keep it running right. Yes, the seat belt light stays on... a known problem in the late S2 no matter what you disconnect or connect. Just one example where I live with it. I also have a bone stock 03 911 C2 with 67k miles in near perfect condition that I try to keep that way. No leaks, no nothing. My daily driver is a Mustang Bullitt where, say what you want, I have put very little dollars into repair and when it does happen, it cost very little to fix. So I keep that one up as well. My threshold for perfection is quite different with each.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it weird to want every single thing working on the car as if it was new?