Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the very first sign of a wearing clutch?

Old 06-28-2015, 08:54 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the very first sign of a wearing clutch?

Does it feel like a bit of slippage at speed (like random hesitation mixed in during extended acceleration)?
Or is more just in the clutch pedal grip?
Old 06-28-2015, 10:22 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A clutch disc will "slip" if contaminated by antifreeze or oil. Do you have any white deposit on the heater control valve above the clutch?

If you have many thousands of miles the clutch will slip just by normal wear on the disc to flywheel reducing the thickness.

The TO throw out bearing making contact with the pressure plate fingers (diaphragm springs) could cause wear until finally not functioning at all.

OEM rubber center clutch discs just deteriorate and chunks of rubber cause failure.

J_AZ
Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by FIA-F1
Does it feel like a bit of slippage at speed (like random hesitation mixed in during extended acceleration)?
Or is more just in the clutch pedal grip?
Generally the first signs are a judder or slipping on take off from a standing start. "Slippage at speed" and "random hesitation" during acceleration isn't normally the first signs of a failing clutch. Those symptoms are more likely fuel or ignition related.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Some of the first indications may be not going into 1st or reverse gears easily..i.e. grinding to get it to go into gear. If it's REAL bad then it will slip...i.e. motor revving but car no going as fast as it should..If it's REALLY bad..then there will be almost no forward motion and you will hear a ZZZZ...ZZZZ sound as the metal plates that the clutch linings are riveted to, contact the flywheel..meaning that they are totally gone...hopefully a little adjustment? on the slave cylinder rod will make good things happen for you..(haven't gotten this far on mine yet..so I don't know if there is an adjustment there or not) Hope this helps some..
Old 06-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Dtron951
3rd Gear

I have always heard that if you can take off from a standstill in 2nd gear then the clutch is fine.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:01 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Someone told me that you can test it by going into 5th at a low speed, and then flooring the throttle. If the revs hold steady, the clutch is fine.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:59 PM
FIA-F1
Racer

Ok, good info, thanks. No judder or slipping on take off. No grinding getting into gear, no deposits. After start up, it seems completely normal runs several minutes with no clutch slippage of any type. But then, it sort of has a random hesitation (as though there is slippage with the clutch). It might also feel the same as a misfire but definitely do not hear or see any variation in the rpm's. It just feels like it's mildly slipping off and on every few seconds no matter gear it is in...just subtle but it's there.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I've had clutches that would shudder badly from a start but hold gobs of power once hooked up. I've also had clutches that were silky smooth from a stop, but would slip under the stressful conditions -- like in 5th gear at lower RPMs and full throttle uphill... (if the tach goes up without a corresponding increase in the speedometer, then either the clutch or the tires are slipping).

Your issue doesn't really sound like a slipping clutch the way you describe it. Tiny hesitations under long sustained heavy throttle are more likely a weak ignition (or other engine management issue).
Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 AM
FIA-F1
Racer

I found out what the slippage was...you aren't going to believe this. Turns out the AC belt was not quite tight. I heard a slight squeal at start up. The symptoms I described were there - felt like a hesitation like a misfire but no sign of ignition misses. Also felt like a clutch may be starting to slip, lurching a bit. What was happening was that the A/C belt would randomly slip causing those symptoms. You know how a car would drag a bit when the AC kicked in. Since I tightened the belt, all the symptoms went away. Same with shutting the AC off. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:27 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FIA-F1
Since I tightened the belt, all the symptoms went away. Same with shutting the AC off. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
There you have it!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the very first sign of a wearing clutch?