Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got new 1988 Turbo S today, 2.8L

Old 06-12-2015, 01:41 AM
Arahant
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got new 1988 Turbo S today, 2.8L

TLDR

So today I finally picked up my new-to-me 951... a 1988 Turbo S.

Color is silver, painted 3 years ago, still looks fresh not faded, has a clearbra on front.. has a few spots where the paint looks like it bubbled and chipped off around the sunroof that will have to be fixed but otherwise looks good. I will take more pictures in the morning.

Previous owner described the car as a labor of love, being worked on over the past 8 years having alot done to it, with not much driving being done.. it spent most of the time always in the shop constantly having something done to it.

It has a stroker kit, bumping displacement to 2.8L via a 3L(968 I believe) crank aswell as upgraded internals. Has Mahle 100mm piston set, Carrillo rod set.

Crankshaft is micropolished, crossdrilled, knife-edged, balanced...(11lb's removed from total weight) and magnafluxed.

Oil pan baffle kit

wide fire head gasket

racewear headstud kit

Looks like pretty much all the gaskets were replaced with stroker kit, basically a full engine rebuild by Blaszak Precision Motorsports, looks like most of the hoses were replaced. New belts and rollers.

55# fuel injectors

Custom k27/8 turbo with titanium ceramic coating(1,300$)

Spec stage 2 clutch

Lindsey racing performance BOV

3" lindsey turbo exhaust system with optional thermal coat, has high-flo cats and oxygen sensor.

3bar FPR..

says stock 951 fuel pump... seems like that might be something that needs upgrading.

MSD 6T Ignition - MSD blaster high vibration coil

Magnecor 10mm Race wires

Autothority custom performance software(i guess basically like one of their chips)

Autothority MAF Kit

Autothority short shift kit

Lindsey racing dual port wastegate

Has drilled/slotted rotors

Has turbo steel reinforced control arms. Invoice note: modifed for late offset and reinforced for m030 swaybar

Aeroquip stainless steel fuel lines

GPR billet aluminum "supermounts" (apparently very nice engine mounts)

Powdercoated cam cover

VDO boost, oil, and EGT gauges

Lindsey racing manual boost control

new waterpump.. new main and rod bearings..

Custom black 4pc car mats with Turbo S embroidery(embroider is faded)

Brey and Krause strut tower brace

Rebuilt power-steering pump from pelican parts

- Car came with an extra set of brand new rotors aswell as brand new race brake pads..

Car came with extra brand new belts, gaskets, sunroof gasket kit(or the weather stripping rather)

Extra set of rims, turbo twist's, with brand new never been used set of Nitto NT01 race tires

The tires on the rim's on the car are pretty much brand new to, they have atleast 95% tread

Looking over the invoices, the block is listed as "bore, hone and lap porsche block to 1st over size" Whatever that means, so something was done to the block before assembly of the engine to make it a 2.8L

I might have repeated myself on some things not sure, most of this stuff that I listed is all new, the engine only has 1000 KM's on it. A few things are old.. I got basically a binder the thickness of a telephone book of all the old invoices and stuff that has been done to the car over the years, I didn't list most of all the little things... bushings and little pieces of this and that... new fuel level sensor, etc etc..

So yeah this will be my new baby, I will be using it as a track car, aswell as possible weekend driver.

I'm still trying to figure out exactly everything thats been done to the car, I believe there is a few things the owner mentioned that I'm not seeing invoices for, for instance I believe he said the intercooler was upgraded to, but not sure. I don't see an invoice for it.

So the things I'm concerned about/think/know needs work. Paint while bright and non-faded has some chips and is flaking away at the sunroof. One thing I'm not sure about, when I first went to see the car the owner mentioned when it as last at the shop, that they had(the mechanics) turned down the boost for some reason, I forget the reason but I think something to do with driving it in the rain. So when we took it for a test ride he said that it was on low boost, it still felt very powerful, quite abit more powerful then another car I tested whose owner said it dyno'd at 310 at the wheels. So it felt very strong and he said it would be even stronger at full boost(he said the full boost was mid teens, so like 15psi, but that the engine builders said the engine could handle up to 22 psi). So i told him if he could get the boost turned back to normal for when I come to pick up the car, so I could see what its suppose to be, which he agreed to. When I picked up the car he said the mechanics forgot to turn it up, but that I could do it myself and showed me where the boost controller was in the glove box. I found this a little bit odd and I'm worried there might be a problem that's causing it to not run right with higher boost. But it could have just been coincidence.

previous owner mentioned that there is a problem, where you basically can't go WOT or it bogs down, I have to start the acceleration gradually and can only go basically halfway down on the pedal before the engine bogs down. There is alot of power and the turbo spools up to whatever the max setting is set at(it maxes out stock boost gauge), but if I was to push pedal all the way down the engine bogs down badly. Owner said it was from the car sitting in storage and it was because of old fuel in the system, and it would be fine once it had worked through that old fuel.. or so he thought.

I filled up the tank with new gas about 1.5 hours from home + the 1/8th of a tank of old gas that was in it, and added half a bottle of fuel additive for cleaning the injectors. I drove home which was about 3 hours of driving, so I think I had gone through the old fuel and it was into the new fuel, while it did get abit better, and I could press the pedal down farther before it bogged(maby 2/3 of the way, where before it was abit less then half), it was still a ways from WOT and still bogging down... so this is an issue that will need to be addressed.

I think this car is badly in need of either another custom tune or an EMS, the latter of which is likely the route I will be taking, this system is pretty much perfect for an EMS to control everything. Another problem was the boost gauge wasn't working, and the Air/fuel gauge I'm not sure whats up with it, I didn't see the needle move the entire ride home, I"m not familiar with their operation but I think it wasn't working either.

He said the radio antenna needs replacing, there is abit of static on the radio no matter what station, wasn't to bad.. there is an aftermarket sound system with cd-player head unit, but no USB plug in head-unit so I will be replacing with one that has USB/Iphone plug-in.

Interior is really in great condition except for dash, dash has a bunch of cracks in it.. owner said the previous engine builder, who is supposedly a very good engine builder, was lacking in other qualities and left the car out in the sun for an extended period of time, and dash cracked as a result. So I will need a new dash... also gauge cluster(speedo/rpm etc) is an american unit(car is american originally), I prefer to have a KMPH unit, owner had an extra one that came with car that I can swap out, but I'm considering getting a custom set. Both seats are electronic 8-way adjustable.

There is a problem with the mirrors, the motors arn't working properly I had to set them manually by hand, also for some reason the passenger mirror location looks really out of whack from inside, I dunno... I have 1986 turbo car already so I know what that looks like, and these mirrors just seem weird.

There was an invoice for some BMW mirrors in with all the porsche invoices, there is a possibility that maby he replaced stock mirrors with BMW mirrors, although they look similiar style so not sure, but seems like passenger mirror is in wrong spot... bottom quarter of the mirror is obstructed by the door... that doesn't seem right.

Apparently the car is 1 of 2000 made for that year, of the turbo S's.. thats what the paperwork says.

So yeah this is alot of the info on my new car, sorry there is so much I know alot of people won't want to read all that. But I'm posting it here for posterity.

What do you guys think I should add to the car? what is best EMS for a good price? do you think an M-tune is pretty much just as good? What do you think is causing the bogging down problem?

Hawk brake pads

KMPH cluster
Old 06-12-2015, 03:56 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like a great purchase. You'll definitely have a lot of fun with that car on the track.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-12-2015, 07:30 PM
johncos3777
Intermediate

I sure hope for your sake this doesn't mean what it says:

" the block is listed as bore, hone and lap porsche block to 1st over size"

Or maybe by lap they mean Alusil?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 PM
jimmerp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! Sounds like a great car. Just needs a bit of sorting..i would start at the web and clarks garage site. All the mods could make for a bit of detective work to learn. But i would start at the tps and its wiring for the bog at wot. Good luck
Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Looks nice. Get that bog sorted and see you at the track!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:34 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

First-Get the Rogue Tuning M-Tune.
Second-Never run more then 15psi boost.
Third-Check your oil level after every run.

Enjoy!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:37 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
First-Get the Rogue Tuning M-Tune.
Second-Never run more then 15psi boost.
Third-Check your oil level after every run.

Enjoy!
+1
Old 06-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Arahant
Advanced

Thanks guys, I havnt been driving it while I get my insurance sorted, getting bike insurance at same time as I got a new bike, hoping I get insured next few days.

I was debating with the owner what might be causing the bogging, I noticed when going through the invoices that it had a stock 951 fuel pump, 3 bar regulator, 55# injectors, and I'm wondering if maby the problem is the stock pump? What do you guys think?

I mean I was reading that stock pump flows 30% more then stock injectors, and that it's good to have the pump flow more then the injectors to prevent pressure fluctuations, but upgraded 55 injectors flow more then stock pump.

I read that stock pump doesn't flow quite 3bar, and with 1bar of boost it would need to flow 4 bar not sure how accurate that is ill get some opinions on that.

I know for sure that I need to get some custom tuning going on, I just don't know wether I should go m-tune or full ems, I def like the sound of m-tune, but would I have to replace autothority maf with the one that usually comes with mtune?

Just some thoughts thanks for checking out my car, I will likely be getting Ian over at hockley motorsports to check it out.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 06-15-2015, 01:41 PM
johncos3777
Intermediate

Have you done a compression test yet?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

You'll get more experienced answers in the 944turbo forum. I'd be checking into some of those issues before driving it much more.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:05 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I can't really tell from the pics, but what air metering device is installed? I saw it right next to the cone filter but can't tell if it's an AFM or an aftermarket MAF. Either way, +1 on going EMS (trying really hard not to be the odurandina of EMS)
Old 06-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Arahant
Advanced

It should be an autothority MAF.

I havn't done a compression test yet, will leave it for the shop to do.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:06 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

You should have just bought my car =D

Enjoy your purchase!!!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Congrats!!!
Attached Images