Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 04:33 PM
black924S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

I have zero oil pressure. To prime the pump I decided on the air compressor method. I pressurized the crankcase with OAS tube plugged and oil filter off and got air out of the center hole. So I plugged the center hole and got oil out of the perimeter hole; a steady stream with no air. Does this mean that my pickup tube is intact and that my return tube is broken? Is a broken return tube need necessarily be fixed? I never had one of these engines apart before so I could use the help.

1. OPRV seems OK
2. PS pulley aligned and bolt torqued to 155 ft(lbs)
3. Still cannot get the pump to move oil
Old 05-28-2015, 06:20 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you replace the oil pump drive gear and the green shaft seal?
Old 05-28-2015, 06:25 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

While you are under pressure, spin the crankshaft with a socket. If you are trying to move oil through the oil pump assembly, it must rotate.

Edit...I am going to retract my prior statement. Pressurizing the crankcase really is NOT going to force oil through the pump and galley unless all returns to the pan are blocked. If you are putting the entire block assembly under pressure, there is no pressure differential to force the oil to go anywhere.

Last edited by thomasmryan; 05-28-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:20 PM
black924S
Intermediate

Thank you for the replies. But pressurizing the crankcase with the oil filter off definitely causes oil to flow out of the peripheral hole. I assume this means that the pick up tube is good and that the pump is primed. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am only beginning to understand the the design of this car. This car has been under neglect by past owners.

Update: The power steering pump is missing a bushing. The pulley on the crank seems to be in good shape. The bolt is tightened to specification. The thrust washer is dished side facing engine.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:22 PM
black924S
Intermediate

I haven't replaced anything yet.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:03 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Right on....read this little tidbit on the oil flow. oil flow

Ian, Lart or plyhammer may have your power steering bushing. Ian probably has a kit.

Edit...looking at the cooler housing, the perimeter of the oil filter does run through the pickup, cradle, pump and cooler before it arrives but that could not confirm that is the only place oil is coming out. Can you hear any bubbling inside the motor while the pressure is applied?

This thread also. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...l-pump-qs.html
Old 05-29-2015, 12:27 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

@ my tripleseven: Is this mandatory during an engine rebuild? I can see replacing the seal, but the gear also , even if it shows no sign of wear? Is this in the WSM? Please enlighten me...Thanks
Old 05-29-2015, 12:54 AM
black924S
Intermediate

No bubbling. Just a smooth stream of oil. I would think that would adequately prime the pump.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:37 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

When you say you have no pressure, are you going off the electronic gauge or a mechanical gauge added for verification? The electronic senders are known to fail sometimes and shouldn't be relied on in times like these.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:41 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

If you have oil there, it is primed.

This thread is another method http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/yab...num=1328734487
Old 05-29-2015, 01:58 AM
black924S
Intermediate

The engine sounded rather unoiled. I get the red light as well. And on top of that, I cannot get oil to come out of OPRV hole or oil filter hole while cranking. It think we have a true no pressure situation. Can we rule out the pickup tube based on the pressurized air experiment? I will remove the oil pan if I have to, but to do that unnecessarily would seem like such a waste of effort. How to tell if the pump is spinning?
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by black924S
But pressurizing the crankcase with the oil filter off definitely causes oil to flow out of the peripheral hole. I assume this means that the pick up tube is good and that the pump is primed. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Absolutely not... If you have a cracked oil pickup tube, and pressurize the crankcase, oil will go up the tube to the break, then *some* oil will dribble out and back to the crank case, and *some* oil will keep on going to the filter (as you are observing).

However, if you try to move the oil via the oil pump, the pump will just suck the much thinner air through the crack, and no oil will get to the oil filter.

Did you rebuild the engine or something? If so, did you mix & match parts?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure about that, Van? I would think any crack in the tube would also be exposed to the increased air pressure in the crankcase (presuming the crack is above the oil fill line). If that's true, then I think the pressurized air would be forced through the crack, through the oil pump and out the filter hole, without moving the oil at all.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:18 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

most pick up tube cracks shown online are up near the bearing girdle...if it where my car, the pan and at least the oil pump cover would be coming off.

did you look at the pictures of the failed/scored pump?
Old 05-29-2015, 02:25 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Dare
Are you sure about that, Van? I would think any crack in the tube would also be exposed to the increased air pressure in the crankcase (presuming the crack is above the oil fill line). If that's true, then I think the pressurized air would be forced through the crack, through the oil pump and out the filter hole, without moving the oil at all.
I agree with Van. Any small crack will draw mostly air when under vacuum. Did you ever try sucking on a straw that has a crack in it? You get no soda!

You either have a crack in the pickup tube, or the sealant of the girdle or oil pump is compromised. Oil pump failure is also possible, but less likely. It could be so worn that it is not able to draw oil. All of these problems require major engine disassembly, so definitely double check that your oil pump drive gear is actually working.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure