Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beautiful 931... Possible purchase tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 PM
McMichem
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beautiful 931... Possible purchase tomorrow

Just joined the forum to get some advice on a 931 I am looking at tomorrow. I will however stay and contribute/learn if I do make the purchase. I have always been a Corvette guy but found a porsche I can't walk away from.

I would really appreciate any and all input to help me make this decision, I have done research on these cars this last week but don't wanna miss anything.

60k Miles, nearly perfect paint and no rust at all, couldn't find a spec. I got him down to $1800 and honestly it seems like a good deal to me, I plan on taking this as a project and am putting aside $1500 to start tinkering and freshening it up.

Only issues listed with the car was a bad ignition switch, simply wont turn(As expected)

Old 05-27-2015, 12:12 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

You may want to increase your expectation on what it needs... You just never know... all fluids flushed, brake rotors, wheel bearings, shocks, possibly a ball joint, fuel filter, possibly a fuel pump, starter, shift bushings, timing belt, water pump, etc.

If you're happy with the 924 styling, go for it!

The 931 performance/power is on par with a non-turbo 944 - which many people will tell you is like kissing your sister.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:20 AM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you like to tinker and chase unavailable parts you are probably better off to take that 1800 add to that 1500 and go buy a decent N/A 944 you will be happier in the end.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:02 AM
Alpineace
Pro

Well thats an 80 with the G31 tranny.... more fun, than a 944, ad a FMIC and a boostcontroller and you are easily in 951 range with less weight. and you can easily lose 200lbs out of it.
And it might be an S with LSD tranny so for 1800.... not bad.

there really aren't many "unavailble parts" and swaping to EFI, takes care of most of that. With a motor that it a bit more robust than the 944 block.

944: "ah crap i gotta fix something again...."
931: "I'm going to tinker with it abit"/ "YAY it starts!"

join the 924board.org
Old 05-27-2015, 02:57 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by McMichem
I have always been a Corvette guy but found a porsche I can't walk away from.
That's a very clean 931.

If you like to wrench/tinker, this could be a rewarding endeavor. In its current condition, I imagine there's $1800 to be had from the [rare] motor/gearbox alone.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:15 AM
benjj
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic car, good luck with the viewing.

If that car were here in the UK it would sell for $4-8k easily, they have a solid and growing following here.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:42 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benjj
Fantastic car, good luck with the viewing.

If that car were here in the UK it would sell for $4-8k easily, they have a solid and growing following here.
If it were in europe it would probably fetch 10k
Car looks great, you probably have to replace some stuff on it but its most likely regular mainainance stuff that is not that expensive and that you would have to do to any car that you buy.
Thats an S1 so no sensors, no ECU problems, thats good news !
Add an intercooler and a boost controller, use high octane gas and you're in the 944 turbo league worth of power&performance.

Before you even turn the motor, replace the timing belt..its very important on these cars, you simply cant risk going without a new belt. Its beer money anyway. Whole "front end" service should be less than 100$
Ignition switch is like $10 and you can replace it in under 30 min.

For that money, its a steal !
931s have such great potential...and they are rare cars, getting more expensive.
If you fancy keeping it original for resale value, in a couple of years it will be worth much more.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:27 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Where are you located?
Old 05-27-2015, 10:22 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Get more advice from the 924 board. The members have covered every topic.

www.924.org

If this is your first attempt at a garage find, buy it and resell for a profit.

J_AZ
Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John_AZ
The members have covered every topic.
Yep, we did LOL, everybody checks the board daily but nobody posts anything anymore as everything has been done and talked about...we miss Timstar i guess
Old 05-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Get more advice from the 924 board. The members have covered every topic.

www.924.org

If this is your first attempt at a garage find, buy it and resell for a profit.

J_AZ
I agree with this idea. If you are in love with the body and styling, then it will be a good project and learning experience for you. IMO the 944/951 body is just so much better looking.

The price is prime and you can flip it for sure. Might even be able to flip it for more if you service a few things first. Right now you're able to get a good price because I imagine it has been sitting around for a while.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 PM
McMichem
Track Day

Originally Posted by HICKS
Where are you located?
I am from PA.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I wouldn't pay more than $1k without hearing it run or at least turn over. Replace the ignition switch and then you'll find out everything else that's wrong with the CIS system from sitting, or a cracked exhaust manifold, blown turbo, bad valve stem seals, bad rings, etc.

Definitely not a fix and flip car either at that price point. Only thing that looks nice is the paint, engine bay needs a deep clean, dash is trash, interior is faded. If you got it running, it's still probably a $2k car. So you'd break even if it was a simple ignition switch. You'd need to redo the interior and have verifiable low miles (good luck with 5 digit odometers) and no engine problems to be able to make money.

And my S1 931 with meth injection and a boost controller (no FMIC) was barely faster than my 924S and not even close to my 951 stock (let alone with just a simple chip).
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 AM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

I can feel a bit of hate in your post buddy

931s are worth more than that asking price even for a non starter and will be worth even more as they are getting rare and they are unique.

As i said before, the cliche way of looking at cars for sale is ridiculously stupid in my opinion. I mean we are not talking about a big sum of money...1800 dollars is not a lot of money anyway...if its for you, then you should not be looking at cars at all. If the car is 1800, and its a non runner you immediatly assume its not worth that...but you could not be any more wrong.
First, it may just be a relay or a cheap simple fix...ok it may be not...but even then 1800 for a classic rare porsche is nothing. Even if you have to put another 2k in it to drive it its still worth it. And as i said, in a few years they will be worth much more. Look at the 914s, beer money a few years ago, 10k+ for a rust bucket now.

And regarding your 931 with more boost and meth inj. being slower than the S...you must have had a bad engine or boost leak as even in US the detuned 150HP(170-177 in the rest of the world) with meth and 0.9-1bar of boost makes at least 180-190HP...and that on a 150kg lighter body than the 944S it simply cant be slower.
But in the end its all about tastes...if you like raw pure driving experience, boost rush and such things then the 931 is a great car. If you like powersteering, more refined feel and smoothness then the 944 is for you.

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
I wouldn't pay more than $1k without hearing it run or at least turn over. Replace the ignition switch and then you'll find out everything else that's wrong with the CIS system from sitting, or a cracked exhaust manifold, blown turbo, bad valve stem seals, bad rings, etc.

Definitely not a fix and flip car either at that price point. Only thing that looks nice is the paint, engine bay needs a deep clean, dash is trash, interior is faded. If you got it running, it's still probably a $2k car. So you'd break even if it was a simple ignition switch. You'd need to redo the interior and have verifiable low miles (good luck with 5 digit odometers) and no engine problems to be able to make money.

And my S1 931 with meth injection and a boost controller (no FMIC) was barely faster than my 924S and not even close to my 951 stock (let alone with just a simple chip).
Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

So, did you buy it?

Quick Reply: Beautiful 931... Possible purchase tomorrow