Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reference/Speed Sensor Wiring Harness Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:23 AM
PerryB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mach 5,

The body of the DME does not need to be grounded by mounting. All the grounds are through the pins.

I also recently replaced my harness with the on from 944online. Are the female plug ends on the DME harness secure in the clip? Do the male pins on the DME push them back into the clip? Were you able to re-install the "combs"?

Did you also replace the sensors themselves?

Perry
Old 05-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
Mach 5,

The body of the DME does not need to be grounded by mounting. All the grounds are through the pins.

I also recently replaced my harness with the on from 944online. Are the female plug ends on the DME harness secure in the clip? Do the male pins on the DME push them back into the clip? Were you able to re-install the "combs"?

Did you also replace the sensors themselves?

Perry
That's good to hear regarding the grounding. Well, good in that I may not have to pay for a rebuilt DME. Bad in that I can probably rule that out as a problem. With respect to the pins, yes the combs are both installed and the female ends do not appear to be backing out at all. The sensors were replaced about two years ago. I checked them with an Ohn meter and they checked out OK. Also, the car was running fine (except for the offending wire) before the harness install, so I am inclined to believe the sensors themselves are OK.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The path that I'm going down now is to check the sensor gap. I'm wondering if the replacement harness somehow presents greater signal resistance (or poorer conductivity...I'm not an electrical engineer!) and now the gaps are too wide to send a strong enough signal to the DME. I know an oscilloscope would probably prove this out, but I don't have one. So I started down the agonizingly difficult task of getting to the bracket adjustment bolts for the sensors so that I can set the gap.

Again, if anyone has any thoughts on this idea, or any others, feel free to chime in.

Thanks.
Roger
Old 05-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by 931guru
Use an oscilloscope (as described in the factory service manual) and check the waveform at the DME (ECU) for proper shape and amplitude. Anything else and you are wasting your time.
After spending several hours trying to get to the sensor adjusting bolts, I'm starting to think getting an oscilloscope may be a less painful path.

Question: Does anyone have any experience with the Hantek 1008C PC based scope? Amazon has it for around $100. Most of the positive reviews seem to be from automotive users.

Thanks.
Roger
Old 05-18-2015, 04:00 PM
PerryB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mach 5,

If you have a digital volt/ohm meter you can do a cranking AC voltage test on both sensors through the harness at the DME connector. Specialized ECU Repair has a YouTube video of how to do this test. I would do this before spending money on an oscilloscope.

Perry
Old 05-18-2015, 05:40 PM
joes
Racer

An easier way to test is use a 1.5 volt LED plug into either the DME or directly into the sensor. crank it over if it lites you are good. make sure the you have the correct polarity as the LED has a positive and negative.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Mach 5
Racer

I do have a voltmeter. Don't think I have an LED.

It is weird that I'm not getting tach bounce when I'm trying to start it, yet the fuel pump does run creating pressure at the rail. I thought these were both tied to a reference sensor signal?

These are the times that I miss carburetors and points

Roger
Old 05-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Update: Tested the sensors with a voltmeter. I am only getting .3v from the speed sensor, versus 1+v. I swapped sensors, even swapped plugs, same result. Then I hooked up the old wires and checked voltage, .8v. Still lower than the 1+v that it should be showing, but significantly higher than the new wires. I can't imagine how/why the new wires would be less conductive than the old wires. However, based on this, I'm a bit concerned that even if I go through the "royal b**ch" process of adjusting the gap, I still may not receive a strong enough signal at the DME with these new wires. I've been corresponding with the shop that made the wires and he said he has never heard of this before. I don't doubt that, but it still leaves me f'd for the moment.

Any suggestions?

Roger
Old 05-22-2015, 06:22 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Getting variable voltage outputs shows it's not a problem with sensor-gap. Especially since they were not changed between tests.

I had problematic connections on BOTH male connectors on the SENSOR side. I had erratic no starts that were resolved by wiggling the connectors. I narrowed it down by wiggling only one of four connectors. Turned out the harness female side was fine (wiggling those didn't resolve no-start).

I replaced both sensor-side male connectors and had no more issues. Since we can and should assume that your new harness & connectors are functional, test your sensor-side connectors. Do the ohm and voltage tests while someone wiggles the male sensor-side connectors. An oscilloscope trace would clearly show the change in before & after signals.

Last edited by JacRyann; 08-10-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Mach 5
Racer

"Getting variable voltage outputs shows it's not a problem with sensor-gap."

The fact that the voltage is less than 1v with both sets of wires could imply a sensor gap problem. These readings should be over 1v for the speed sensor. The wider the gap, the lower the voltage.

With respect to the connectors, they are new, since they came with the new wiring harness, so that isn't the issue in my case.

I'll adjust the gap on Monday and keep my fingers crossed!

Roger
Old 05-24-2015, 02:12 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

When you redid the wiring, how did the instructions discuss the shielding material around the 2 wires per sensor (the shielding terminates to form the 3rd wire)? I wired mine recently (not from a kit) and it was the only thing keeping it from being straightforward. I can't remember which pins were to which wire but it makes sense that the signal is a voltage between the two internal wires - maybe the shielding is compromised and/or is crossed with one of the internal wires?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
When you redid the wiring, how did the instructions discuss the shielding material around the 2 wires per sensor (the shielding terminates to form the 3rd wire)? I wired mine recently (not from a kit) and it was the only thing keeping it from being straightforward. I can't remember which pins were to which wire but it makes sense that the signal is a voltage between the two internal wires - maybe the shielding is compromised and/or is crossed with one of the internal wires?
Are you referring to the shielding on the ground wires, pins 5 and/or 23? When you hook up the volt meter, you don't use the grounds (just 8/27 or 25/26), so I don't think this would have any impact on why the old wires would produce .8v versus .3v for the new wires.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Roger
Old 05-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Mach 5
Racer

I reset the sensor gap today. Still no start. However, speed (DG) voltage readings have increased. I'm now at .5v with the new wires (trying it through both DG and BG wires produces the same result) and over 1v with the old wires (using BG wires to test, since DG is cracked/frayed). I think it's safe to say there is something wrong with the new wires. I guess I'll have them send me another one. What a pain.

Roger
Old 05-26-2015, 04:08 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Have you measured the resistance of the wires/harness?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Was in the process of ordering new CPS for my 84 race car.

Rock Auto had some reasonably priced -- but when I went
to check out -- it said it was for european versions only?

Is there such a thing?

Mike
Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Mach 5
Racer

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Have you measured the resistance of the wires/harness?
Not yet. I'll do it tonight.

It is strange. I get the lower voltage readings using either sensor, running through either new wiring harness. But either sensor running through one of the old harnesses produces an acceptable voltage. This would imply that the sensors are not at fault, nor is my multi-meter. This isn't really that complicated. The sensor, and some wire. It's got to be the wires. The vendor is sending me another set. I test them before I install them through the firewall.

Roger

Quick Reply: Reference/Speed Sensor Wiring Harness Replacement