Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clattering/Ticking Noise from Engine.. need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Arahant
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clattering/Ticking Noise from Engine.. need help

Hey Guys,

I have a 1986 944 turbo, about 70k km's... not a high mileage engine... its been doing pretty good... but recently I'v started getting a noise coming from the engine bay. It started out not to loud, but its been progressively getting worse.

When I first start the engine up cold, I don't really hear the noise, its only after I get on the engine kinda hard a few times that it starts to come out... when I'm driving I can hear it, but I hear it especially when I go by something that is able to reflect the sound... even just a raised curb really reflects the noise back at me. If you've ever seen the lifters on an engine going while the engine is on, the sound reminds me off that...

The sound's speed goes faster when the RPM's go up, and the harder I drive the car the louder the sound gets up to a certain point.

I thought it was an exhaust leak so I wasn't thinking to much about it since Im planning on upgrading the exhaust soon. But I started to think that maby it could be something worse and I should look it up... I came across a few threads, aswell as a few youtube videos of cars that sound similiar, although the cause of the noise for their cars has varied.

One person had something similiar in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ise-tap-4.html

and for him it turned out to be a bent intake valve... in that thread the OP mentioned that the sound seemed to be coming from the head, and that it sounded like it was coming from the #2 or #3 piston/injector area... that exactly where it sounds like the noise is coming from on my engine... it sounds like its coming from where the sparkplug/wires are going into the engine.

Of course a video is worth a thousand pictures so here is a quick clip I made,

Should I stop driving the car? Unfortunately the shop I usualy take it to is more then an hour away, I'm worried how much this could cost me if its something internal.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Arahant
Advanced

Also worth mentioning is just added a LR boost enhancer like a week ago, since I added it I'v noticed my boost is going higher then it used to... it also kinda shoots up much quicker, it comes on earlier(which is what I wanted), but also kinda shoots up quickly once the boost comes on. Not sure if this has had a negative effect on my engine or not, its not going over 2bar on my gauge, but then again I'm not sure if its possible for it to even go over 2 bar on the gauge... but before the boost enhancer it would only go to 1.9 now it will go to 2 for a split second then usuauly stay at 1.95ish untill the boost drops off.

When I put the enhancer on I measured the threads, its suppose to be 4 pennies, and its slightly less then 4 pennies, 4 pennies won't fit although its close... I'm pretty sure that means its slightly less boost then what its suppose to be.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Arahant
Advanced

I looked over some posts about the enhancer and relised that smaller then 4 pennies is actually more boost rather then less, so yeah.. I went and changed that... I can fit almost 5 pennies now instead of a little less then 4... it seems to be making abit less noise but the ticking is still there.

I don't think the problem is the boost enhancer, but its possible that the boost enhancer if it was turned up to high caused it to spike... dunno... but I have a stock chip so it should be hitting the overboost you would think...
Old 05-07-2015, 02:07 AM
V996
Racer

The car in the other thread sounds worse to me. It sounds more like an intermittent slapping. You should take another video while revving the engine though.

Also the injectors on 944s/924Ss are loud. It freaked me out when I really paid attention to it on my 924S but I guess it is normal. Not 100% sure if that's the noise coming from your car but it sounds like it to me?

Old 05-07-2015, 02:11 AM
V996
Racer

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...this-part.html
Old 05-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Arahant
Advanced

Yeah I relise the video clip I made doesn't show the sound aswell as it could be... listening to that other video its clear the sound is similiar to that guys engine which is running normally.

Heres the thing, I know in my case its not normal because its only recently started doing this, also when I'm driving it can get really loud, alot louder then in that video where the engine has had abit of time to cool down aswell as its at idle.

I took the car out this morning, while I could hear the clicking abit, I noticed that if I drove the car very lightly, IE keeping it under 3k RPM, that I couldnt hear the noise at all.

Whenever I have noticed this noise in the past, its been after I'v been winding out the gears, as in WOT up to redline on a few gears... just having fun.... but after doing that a few times its almost like there is a seal on one of the exhaust parts that kinda blows out and then after that its LOUD no matter how hard I push it, and stays like that untill I turn the car off and let it cool down. If I were to turn the car back on after turning it off, when its still hot, the sound would be there right on startup quite loud.

Thanks the for the link, its clear from a number of threads that the problem could be a number of things, which makes things abit harder for me, but atleast most of the problems dont seem to serious, except for maby rod knocking, but I'm pretty sure thats not what it is for my engine.

I'm going to make an appointment to have it looked at the closest indy porsche mechanic that I go to(abit over an hour away)... but I'd like to get a good idea of what the problem is first so I can hopefully save some time(and cost).

I will try and make a better video of the sound when its at its loudest, aswell as do what was suggested in another thread and try and take a long piece of metal or piece of pipe and try and locate exactly where the sound is coming from.

One thing I noticed and I dont think its related but, when I was looking at my headers, it looks like the coating that was on them is all flaking off.... these headers are from lindsey racing and are suppose to be thermal coated(was a costly extra, they only had thermal coated headers in stock at the time).. but its all flaking off badly, that doesn't seem like that should be happening.... you can see it in my video.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:26 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Arahant
Also worth mentioning is just added a LR boost enhancer like a week ago, since I added it I'v noticed my boost is going higher then it used to. Not sure if this has had a negative effect on my engine or not, its not going over 2bar on my gauge, but then again I'm not sure if its possible for it to even go over 2 bar on the gauge.
Uhhh, yeah...it's possible to go higher than two bar on the gauge. And on stock chips/fueling, that is something you would not want to do.

From the factory, these cars were tuned for 11.6 psi, +/- 0.2 psi. On stock chips/fueling, boost enhancer or not, I would not want to see higher than 0.8 bar. And as the factory boost pressure gauge has some inherent inaccuracy, you'd be well served with a mechanical gauge.

Quick Reply: Clattering/Ticking Noise from Engine.. need help