Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no start with injectors clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mach 5
Cyberpunky,

I've been having this same problem with our '86 951. I found one of the reference sensor wires to be cracked, with all the metal strands exposed (the sensors are "new-ish"). I tried taping the three individual wires to make sure they weren't shorting against each other. This worked for a few days, then it wouldn't start again yesterday. I went out this morning moved the reference sensor wires around a bit and it started. While it was running, I moved the wire I had taped and it stalled. Repeated this, started again, played with wire, stumble, then stall.

I have ordered the Lindsey racing reference sensor replacement harness, which replaces the wiring from the sensors to the DME.

Good luck.

Roger
Cheers Roger. I fitted the LR harness about 10 months back, that stopped a random no start I had for ages. I could usually get car going with a jiggle of old harness, and LR harness fixed that issue, so it's a good thing to do but sadly this is something else. I also did the injector harness with the LR replacement and found the old harness had a couple of wires just touching so I suggest that is also worth doing, as I hadn't had an issue with injector harness yet but clearly was going to if I hadn't replaced it. It was just one of those while your in there type things but glad I did it. If you are doing the speed and ref harness I would sugggest doing inj harness at same time, as it makes sense to do it while you are messing around with DME connector anyway.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:15 AM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Convert your spare ECU to a 28 pin so you can use it for testing, make sure you install the jumper wire in location 700 on the board! I forgot to do this when installing my Mtune and my injectors were clicking like crazy with the key in the run position. After retracing my steps and figured out the missing step the car fired right up with no issues.
You could always install a switch instead of a jumper and then you would have a 24 or 28 pin ECU!
Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

I have bitten the bullet and given my car to a Porsche mechanic. After chasing the issue for nearly a year on a daily driver, and throwing a bunch of money at it, I just want car sorted. Admitedly a lot of the things I have done weren't specifically aimed at fixing problem, and were mods I did have planned for down the track. This just bought them forward in the hope that maybe one of them might also sort the issue out. The mechanic doesn't think that it will take much to get it sorted, so I am hopeful of a quick solution. I can't wait to see how all my mods have changed the car. New Vitesse stage 2 turbo, M tune and some other stuff should be good for 300+ish HP so will be intesting to see the results
Old 05-27-2015, 07:29 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
I have bitten the bullet and given my car to a Porsche mechanic. After chasing the issue for nearly a year on a daily driver, and throwing a bunch of money at it, I just want car sorted. Admitedly a lot of the things I have done weren't specifically aimed at fixing problem, and were mods I did have planned for down the track. This just bought them forward in the hope that maybe one of them might also sort the issue out. The mechanic doesn't think that it will take much to get it sorted, so I am hopeful of a quick solution. I can't wait to see how all my mods have changed the car. New Vitesse stage 2 turbo, M tune and some other stuff should be good for 300+ish HP so will be intesting to see the results
Really hope it gets sorted soon! need to go for a drive oddly enough, our cars haven't been on the same SMT at all!!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:33 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Yeah can't wait, he is hoping to have a bit more news next week. He has to buy a fitting so he can hook up a fuel pressure tester, due to me using the CEP fuel rail Vs factory. Can't wait to do another SMT although the weather is against it ATM
Old 05-27-2015, 08:38 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Glad to hear that progress is being made! Good luck with the beast!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
What does fuel pressure look like? and do you have spark?

I got this from Bruce, have used it a lot and it's reasonably priced.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...0#.VUL109pVikp

He also makes an ignition checker... I ordered it today.

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...1#.VUL1ZdpViko
Trying to track down my own no start issue. I won't detract much more from this thread other than saying thanks sausagehacker for the recommendation of these tools. I just ordered them from Bruce.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:49 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any update?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by azbanks
Any update?
Nothing to report at this stage Eric. My mechanic is testing stuff and doing stuff on it inbetween the main jobs he has on, to help keep my costs down, which is great, as I am not in a position to say just fix it and end up with huge bill. He has also been waiting on a part that will let him test feul pressure, as the CEP rail means you can't just use a normal tester. Can't wait till she is fixed and to feel the Vitesse and M tune in action
Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For future reference, here is the update on my issue. It was indeed cracked wires in the reference sensor harness that was causing my problem. However, the new harness I obtained (not from Lindsey) was assembled wrong, where the position of one of the signal wires was swapped with the ground wire. So it still didn't start after replacing the wires. Naturally, this was one of the last things I checked this time, assuming that the new wires couldn't be the issue. So after a couple more weeks of hair pulling (well, not really much hair left to pull), I discovered the faulty new wires, got a replacement set sent, reinstalled, and it fired right up. What a pain!

(Of course, now that this is fixed, I think my fuel pump check valve has failed and it won't re-start hot. New check valve going in tonight. Never ends with this car!)

Roger
Old 06-15-2015, 04:20 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Progress.. It's definitely a fuel starvation issue. Mechanic is confident should be sorted in next week

Quick Reply: no start with injectors clicking