Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rennbay ball joint kit review (2015)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 03:32 PM
SummitP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennbay ball joint kit review (2015)

I know there are other reviews out there, but as the product changes and evolves, (and people are lazy to search) I thought I would toss out my experience. Pics may or may not follow depending on how motivated I am after I get home.

The kit came well packaged, and with all the parts to completly rebuild the joint. Taking the old one out was pretty straightforward, I recommend everybody watch the video on installing the kit on youtube, a quick youtube search for rennbay ball joint will pull it up. The brass fitting fit in the arm nice and tight. The other pieces stack into the arm, and fit well. The method for compessing the spring and exposing the snap ring groove shown in the video is what worked for me.

So here is where I ran into issues with the kit. The threaded zerk grease fitting for the bottom plate came with the wrong threads for the plate. Fiddling around with it for a few minutes made it clear the fitting was too large for the plate. I did have a couple of short bolts that were the right thread to fit and close off the plate. Not a huge deal, but still.

Second, when I went to install the arm, the snap ring popped out of the arm, and the ball joint innards spilled all over the garage floor. I reinstalled everything, and checked the snap ring again, and it was evident that it was just going to happen again. I finally found the original snap ring, and as it was in good condition, I re used it with fine results.

Overall the kit is good as it allows you to refurb your arms without shelling out $1000 for new ones, but if you get the kit, be aware of the two issues I pointed out, as if you lose the original snap ring, or don't have a suitable bolt, you might be stuck until you can resolve those issues.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the shared experience.
Have you tried contacting Rennbay for assistance?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the review. I always appreciate customer feedback as it is what drives product innovation.

Sadly, the same product innovation is what caused you trouble with the zerk fittings. You see, we changed from 1/4-28 thread to 6mm for the lower plates. Somehow during the first part of packaging we had some of the kit's skin packed with 6mm plates and 1/4-28 zerk fittings.
I sorted out the effected kits and added a small bag with two of the correct 6mm fittings inside. This would have not been skin packed to the sheet and may well be still in your box? If not then I apologize as I was the one responsible for sorting and fixing the issue.

The feedback about our choice of retaining rings is not uncommon. You have to remember though, that there was a time when we used the OEM style open rings. In your experience our spiral retaining ring did exactly what we want it to, release on the bench. If it is not seated properly you will be aware of it immediately. We have found the OEM style ring will hang on when the groove is not true or clear of debris, at least until you get a few miles down the road.
Before this change we wold replace lost lower kits at least once a month. After we updated the ring, the only time we have to send out replacements is if someone reuses the factory ring.

I am glad you are happy with the result and if you are unable to locate the bag with the correct zerk fittings please let me know and I will be happy to send you out replacements.

Here is the installation video for those interested.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:39 PM
SummitP
Instructor

Thanks Travis, when I get home tonight I will look for the second bag with other zerk fittings. I applaud you for working to come up with a solution that saves us money.
I tried resetting the spiral ring multiple times, and made sure the groove was clear. The included ring did not pop out on the bench, but did pop when I was inserting the ball joint into the steering knuckle.
Again, thanks for the good product and helping to keep these cars on the road.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:10 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a c-clamp and a socket with that zerk out to get the plate set in enough to set the spiral ring in place. I trust the new ring much more than the factory one as its much more secure and stronger.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:07 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah I used the rennbay spiral rings on my arms and they were not going anywhere, few years later - still perfect! RENNNBAAAYYYYY
Old 04-26-2015, 12:00 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 to Rennbay. Sounds like user error to me.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2015, 05:27 PM
SummitP
Instructor

I've got pics to post when I get home, but the Rings included with the kit are a smaller diameter than the original ring. Also, because my kit did not come with the right zero fitting, I used a bolt to plug the hole. When I tighten the bolt, and the bottom piece begins to turn, the spiral ring will start to pull out of the groove. Happened on both sides, ring was fully seated. Not my first rodeo when it comes to snap rings of either variety. I am satisfied overall with the product.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:56 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I've fitted a few of these kits and they work as advertised with no problems. If you used a bolt to plug the zerk hole then yes, you will have issues when the bolt bottoms out. Zerk fitting are very short and the problem won't happen with them.

Another crucial thing to do is to take your time with the epoxy, get everything spotless and ensure it gets right into the snap ring area. If the epoxy isn't applied correctly the snap ring and base plate will move and eventually wear and pop out. Follow the instructions and they will last as long as the original part.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Another crucial thing to do is to take your time with the epoxy, get everything spotless and ensure it gets right into the snap ring area. If the epoxy isn't applied correctly the snap ring and base plate will move and eventually wear and pop out. Follow the instructions and they will last as long as the original part.
2nd!

I have been using the same kit on my track car for 4 years now with no issues and my car is quite lowered.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Intruder196
Advanced

I used this same kit on my 86 n/a two years ago. I did not experience the troubles you had with the snap rings or the zerk fittings. Last time I checked they were still holding up fine. This kit is well worth the price and the end result.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM
944hal
Pro

I installed the Rennbay kit on my track car back in late '06 or early '07. Awhile ago anyway. I don't remember any installation issues and the pins are still working fine.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Winter44
Racer

I've had this repair kit installed on my '83 (86 suspension) for about 10 months now. Was a little nervous at first because the snap rings are thinner than the stock ones, but so far so good. No signs of wear on either.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:25 PM
SummitP
Instructor

I am glad to hear all the success stories with this kit. Gives me confidence in the ball joints! (not that I didn't have it already, as the bushings and the kit overall fit very well.)

Verdict, if you haven't replaced your ball joints yet, DO IT!

I'd just like to mention how much I love driving my car to work everyday up and down the canyon!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:31 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SummitP
I am glad to hear all the success stories with this kit. Gives me confidence in the ball joints! (not that I didn't have it already, as the bushings and the kit overall fit very well.)

Verdict, if you haven't replaced your ball joints yet, DO IT!

I'd just like to mention how much I love driving my car to work everyday up and down the canyon!
Pics of said car? Which Canyon?

Quick Reply: Rennbay ball joint kit review (2015)