Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thurbocharger removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Magical things

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
I don't suppose you might have a link to some outfit that sells these magical things you might wish to share with the unenlightened?
yeah, Otto....it's a specialty tool house....LOWES......they have a great Kobalt tool section. And you definitely are not unenlightened.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:38 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And thank you sir! Credit where credit is due
Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 AM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

These big jobs always seem to give us an excuse to buy some kind of new tool ;-)

I think in my case it may just be some new titanium or cobalt drill bits... I'm at the stage of cleaning everything up and waiting for a few parts before putting it all back together. But the two crush rings where the exhaust enters and leaves the turbo are both stuck pretty firmly in their grooves in the exhaust hardware.

Used a wire cleaning wheel on a drill to clean up as much as I could before trying to pry them out but no joy, so I think I'll have to drill into them to get enough purchase to shift 'em. Any other suggestions welcome!

Buying hardware from Lindsey racing looks smart, mytrplseven. I ordered fasteners and all the seals separately, which a) was more expensive, though possibly not after adding postage to the UK, and b) it seems that the long mounting bolt for the turbo is no longer available, so getting it as part of a set is pretty handy.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:10 PM
zogster
Pro

And, ps. re. the turbo mounting bolts... for me they came out easily, definitely one of the less troublesome stages of this whole procedure. I 'woke them up' as per recommendations, and they came straight out. I may even re-use the long one, as I can't actually get hold of a new part.

And btw, on a RHD vehicle there's no need to drop the steering rack as per Clark's Garage procedure.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

When I talked to Lindsey, they said they included the long bolt in the order. Also one of the down-pipe studs was already broken off. I'll have to find one and order it.

Right now I'm having fun with trying to get the tie rod ends to release. I'm replacing the rack because I need the access to the turbo mounting bolts and because it's leaking real bad. I suspect I may have to get a tie rod removal tool as the "pickle fork" didn't budge it. Every thing is a fight.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:16 PM
zogster
Pro

I wonder if LR has managed to find another source of bolts - Design911 here in the UK told me they can't get them from Porsche any more, and it's the first time I've come across a part they can't supply.

Managed to get those aluminium rings out this afternoon: 2mm drill to make a hole, then a nail jammed in as far as it'll go, and then pincers to grab and lever them out.

Good luck with the steering rack! From time to time I think about either going manual or trying some kind of electric replacement... I've had to rebuild the PS pump twice, and there's always some PS fluid leaking, messing with the rubber bushes around there. But any alternative is a bit of a leap into the unknown.
Old 04-15-2015, 05:58 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Bought a tie rod removal tool and it doesn't fit because the end of the steering arm on the hub is too close to the dust shield, so more wasted money. Have to buy a different design that just slides into the boot area of the tie rod from the end.

The hits just keep on coming. :P
Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This little guy worked for me.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Taymar
Racer

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
It's always "one bolt" that takes forever to get beyond when you're trying to make progress. That little one on the bottom of the brake booster heat shield was a 1 hr pain in the butt.
Haha! yes it is. I had forgotten about that one but now the painful memories are all coming back.

For what it's worth I think I got a set of 'long' wrenches from harbor freight and used those for leverage. I know by the time I figured it out I had more tools around me that left in the toolbox...
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Taymar
Racer

Originally Posted by zogster
I wonder if LR has managed to find another source of bolts - Design911 here in the UK told me they can't get them from Porsche any more, and it's the first time I've come across a part they can't supply.
Last time I talked to them about it (maybe a year ago?) they confirmed that the long allen head bolt is NLA from porsche. I believe they said they offer a replacement bolt but it's a regular hex head not allen head.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by porscharu
This little guy worked for me.

I ordered one like that tonight.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:13 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Well, my new tie rod end puller arrived and I finally got the darn things off. Changed all the necessary stuff from the old and leaking steering rack over to the new rack and will put all this aside for now. Next step is remove the mount bolts to the turbo and finally get it removed and off to Evergreen Turbo for rebuild. I've also decided to pull the intercooler and clean all the oil out of it. The AOS seals (primary reason for pulling the turbo out) will be replaced next and some engine cleanup. There is just so much left to do and will be interruped by knee replacement surgery 1st week of May. Also taking my front seats up to my upholsterer in Tampa so he can re-do them while I'm laid up. White seats in a black interior just look out of place so I'm doing them over in black.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:07 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts
Smile

Good luck with the knee! Great job on the outer tie rod ends as well as the turbo drop..I have recently acquired an S2 oil cooler for my car..can you tell me if it is mounted vertically or horizontal? Vertical would be on the radiator supports..passenger side? and horizontal I would put it out in front of the radiator...I am deleting the oil/water contraption on the side of the block with an approved side plate..and hoses...will prolly be aeroquip. thanks..
Old 04-21-2015, 02:13 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, my new tie rod end puller arrived and I finally got the darn things off.
I've given in to the inevitable myself. If I know (face to face or sometimes a network friend) somebody that's done it before I get advice, but in the end I'll usually choose to search all the alternatives and order the best tool I can find before I start the job. I've got the tool I think you used (the one in the picture) and a pickle fork I bought 30 years ago. Buying the tool is almost always cheaper than hiring someone who already has one to do it for you (unless it's a VW/Audi Ring and Pinion clearance tool). What I can't figure out is why no one wants to pay me to use my tool on their car? No one ever wants to hire me to have sex with their wife either, even though I have this great reputation. I just don't get it...

Changed all the necessary stuff from the old and leaking steering rack over to the new rack and will put all this aside for now.
Not going for the power to manual conversion then? Drats. I had hoped you'd head into the fray before I did and report back on results.

Where have all the wind dummies gone? Long time passing ...

Looking forward to hearing how this all plays out!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
I've given in to the inevitable myself. If I know (face to face or sometimes a network friend) somebody that's done it before I get advice, but in the end I'll usually choose to search all the alternatives and order the best tool I can find before I start the job. I've got the tool I think you used (the one in the picture) and a pickle fork I bought 30 years ago. Buying the tool is almost always cheaper than hiring someone who already has one to do it for you (unless it's a VW/Audi Ring and Pinion clearance tool). What I can't figure out is why no one wants to pay me to use my tool on their car? No one ever wants to hire me to have sex with their wife either, even though I have this great reputation. I just don't get it...

Not going for the power to manual conversion then? Drats. I had hoped you'd head into the fray before I did and report back on results.

Where have all the wind dummies gone? Long time passing ...

Looking forward to hearing how this all plays out!
I actually thought the other tie rod removal tool (with forks on it) would work until I got in there and saw there wasn't sufficient room next to the dust shield on the back of the brake rotor, to use it. After buying the round one and a little more penetrant, it punched them out. I have tie rod ends on order as there was boot damage out of sight on the back side of them (WYIT). Sending the old rack back to the shipper to get my $200 core charge back.

Scrambling to get the long lead time items done before the surgery so they're in the mix. It's amazing how much I've found to do that all started with just changing my oil and then having engine running issues. I'm so far from the original issue, it's rediculous. I think the original problem will turn out to be a faulty fuel pump, but until I get all the other stuff done (including belts and rollers) I won't worry about it.

So far: Braided fuel lines, new Bosch ignition system, silicone vacuum lines, temp sensors, K&N air filter, steering rack, trans oil cooler, fuel filter, brake rebuild, tires, new Momo Race steering wheel, short shifter & linkage from only944, and, of course, AOS seals and turbo rebuild and a replacement back hatch.

Still a ways to go and I can't wait to get him back on the road. "Him"? Yeah, It's a white 951 so I named it "Casper".
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: thurbocharger removal