Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Eirrol
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird engine issue

So I took my '86 944 to do state inspection and the guy said it can't pass because it needs spark plugs, plug wires, and air flow meter/sensor replaced. I highly doubt I need all of these.

However what happened was when I started the car yesterday morning, the engine started acting weird. It idles fine but it drops down to 1000 rpm if I try to rev it to 2000. It just comes back down at 2000. Then after sitting there for 10 minutes, everything is fine again.

That night when I was coming back from school, the car stalled on the way home and refuses to idle. At first I can still start the car but as soon as it stars it stalls, so I can keep my foot on the gas to rev it to prevent it from stalling. Then after a few tries it just won't start at all. Letting it sit for another 10 minutes or so, it starts fine and drives fine again.

Then I tightened the screws holding the pipes together and tried again today and everything is fine. But I really don't want to risk that it stalls on the expressway again.

Should I really replace the air flow meter, or is it something else?
Old 03-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

What state are you getting the car inspected in? CA? sounds pretty extensive for a guy who runs an inspection station to make these comments...I think you need further checkout. You said you tightened the pipes...what did you mean by that, pls explain further..were any wires involved? Are you getting any fuel pump sounds when you turn the key? do you get tach bounce when you crank it? Need more info..thanks, Tiger 03447
Old 03-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Eirrol
Track Day

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
What state are you getting the car inspected in? CA? sounds pretty extensive for a guy who runs an inspection station to make these comments...I think you need further checkout. You said you tightened the pipes...what did you mean by that, pls explain further..were any wires involved? Are you getting any fuel pump sounds when you turn the key? do you get tach bounce when you crank it? Need more info..thanks, Tiger 03447
Thank you for your quick reply. I am inspecting in PA, they guy said it didn't pass so I asked him why, and paid for diagnostic service, then he made those comments on the report. I just tightened the screws holding the pipes, there are 3 of them near the air flow sensor. Like this

What does the fuel pump sounds like when I turn the key? I have no idea.
The tachometer does bounce very slightly when I crank.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:29 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

jiggle the air flow meter wiring, the afm as a unit seldom actually fails but they can get out of spec.

check your throttle position sensor, it might have a bad idle switch.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Eirrol
Track Day

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
jiggle the air flow meter wiring, the afm as a unit seldom actually fails but they can get out of spec.

check your throttle position sensor, it might have a bad idle switch.
The wiring is fine. Where is the idle switch?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:55 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger03447

Are you getting any fuel pump sounds when you turn the key?

Originally Posted by Eirrol

What does the fuel pump sounds like when I turn the key? I have no idea.
The tachometer does bounce very slightly when I crank.
The fuel pump will only run when cranking/running so you more than likely won't be able to hear it.

There are test procedures on Clark's Garage for both the air flow meter and throttle position switch (which includes the idle switch).
Old 03-17-2015, 02:03 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Do you know for sure if the fuel pump runs while cranking?
This weekend I changed my fuel filter and lost all the fuel between filter/lines and wouldn't start - I jumpered the relay socket to run the pump and it started right up, shut it off, replaced relay, and all is well. Maybe it just needed a prime.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:25 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the pump must be running since he can start the engine and get it to keep running with some throttle. But then it won't run any more until it's let sit for a while...flooded with fuel from running very rich maybe? OP next time you get it to where it won't start, pull the plugs and see if you can spot any signs of that.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:39 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just unplug the TPS and see if all your issues go away. The connector is on the bottom side of the throttle body. Chances are the switch is stuck and is telling the DME that you are always at idle.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:07 PM
Eirrol
Track Day

Thanks. I will try these methods when it happens again. I drove it to school and back today with no issues at all.

Quick Reply: Weird engine issue