Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to use a 968 MAF in a 944S with a custom baked chip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:23 PM
16valver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it possible to use a 968 MAF in a 944S with a custom baked chip?

Howdy Rennlist,

As mentioned, the car in question is a 1987 944S. Unfortunately it still retains the archaic 'barn door' AFM. Normally I'd just do what everyone else does and hope it keeps working marginally well as it has for the past 28 years.

The twist is that I have a 968 MAF sitting on the bench, as well as the wiring harness. In addition, I would absolutely not be opposed to a performance chip of some sort that would hopefully give the stock motor a little more modern feel (and hopefully pick up).

I know from some searching around, that the 968 MAF and 944S computer likely won't play well together. So, is there a solution that will encompass both of these ideas? Perhaps the chip making community has the ability to custom bake something that will read the MAF's outputs?

I could be completely off my rocker but I figured I'd ask

Thanks all!
Old 03-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see some MAF solution for the 944S. Mine still has the barn door as well, and to make it worse the PO, when converting to a conical filter, actually took a saw to the plastic mounting area where the original air box tube would normally mount to. So it's kind of a hopeless mess at this point.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:34 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Joshua at Rouge Tuning (http://roguetuning.com/home_-_news) was working on a MAF and software for the 16V motors, but he is a one man shop and has been very busy with other things for some time now.

I'm hoping he finds time again one day!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Max Energy
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

16 Valver,
Have you tried John Vitesse.
Max
Old 03-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
Joshua at Rouge Tuning (http://roguetuning.com/home_-_news) was working on a MAF and software for the 16V motors, but he is a one man shop and has been very busy with other things for some time now.

Hopefully soon! I beta tested that setup on my S and it was quite nice.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:22 AM
16valver
Racer

Haha, I thought this thread died a slow painful death! Forgot about it.

Originally Posted by Big E
I would love to see some MAF solution for the 944S. Mine still has the barn door as well, and to make it worse the PO, when converting to a conical filter, actually took a saw to the plastic mounting area where the original air box tube would normally mount to. So it's kind of a hopeless mess at this point.
Yikes!

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2

I'm hoping so too. I've been eagerly waiting the 16v version of his stuff for a LONG time.

Originally Posted by Max Energy
16 Valver,
Have you tried John Vitesse.
Max
I have not. Perhaps I should.

Originally Posted by Arominus
Hopefully soon! I beta tested that setup on my S and it was quite nice.
I hate you so much! Man...this needs to happen soon...haha.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Are you opposed to migrating to a standalone setup? It's 3rd party, but so is a MAF. Lots of doors opened and you no longer have to report to Bosch. You can run whatever you can make work (I say that as I'm running a MAF made for the 944 piggybacking on Bosch EFI so I'm one of the cheerleaders sitting on the bench).
Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 AM
16valver
Racer

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Are you opposed to migrating to a standalone setup? It's 3rd party, but so is a MAF. Lots of doors opened and you no longer have to report to Bosch. You can run whatever you can make work (I say that as I'm running a MAF made for the 944 piggybacking on Bosch EFI so I'm one of the cheerleaders sitting on the bench).
Only because of the cost, but you're quite right. In terms of waking the motor up and making it more usable, modern tuning and sensor hardware go a long way. I have an engine build happing right now that involves VarioCam. Once completed I will most certainly want a stand alone so I can play with all the cool timing and valve goodies that VarioCam offers

For my motor at the moment (orginal S unit) the piggyback intrigues me... Any more info on that?
Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may take a stab at the Megasquirt DIYPNP option, since they have one that fits the S DME connector. See here: https://www.diyautotune.com/diypnp/models.html

Quick Reply: Is it possible to use a 968 MAF in a 944S with a custom baked chip?