Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch wear signs on a na 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 03:55 PM
DM333
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch wear signs on a na 944

My '86 944 na has the factory clutch in it, and i'm wondering what is normal and what are signs/characteristics of it going out, a stage 2 clutch kit has already been purchased for it, i'm justing waiting for a free weekend and warmer weather to install it but in the mean time i'd like to know what to look out for when i drive it so it doesn't leave me on the side of the road.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:55 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The original rubber centered clutch disc will show by either exceeding wear limit viewed throught the window on the bell housing (See Clarks Garage or Haynes manual) the measure the wear limit. Or if you put your finger in the inspection hole on the bell housing (engine off) you may feel chuncks of rubber from the deteriorating disk. If the disk has a catastrophic failure while you're driving, there are metal tabs on the plate that will help you limp home. The rubber disk was to alleviate transmission of mechanical buzz from the drive line in total and reduce the shock of speed shifting on the transaxle. Curious why you chose a Stage 2 clutch since the stock Sachs clutch w/conventional disk can easily handle up to 300 hp.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:17 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
if you put your finger in the inspection hole on the bell housing (engine off) you may feel chuncks of rubber from the deteriorating disk.
If you put your finger in the inspection hole on the bell housing (engine on) your entire arm may be ripped clean off your shoulder.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a stage 2 clutch for an NA car was a very poor choice. not exactly the friendliest disc..
Old 03-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
a stage 2 clutch for an NA car was a very poor choice. not exactly the friendliest disc..
I haven't heard that criticism before? I'm installing a Spec Stage III+ in my S2 almost as we speak, I just finished getting the bell housing bolts out of it. I did decide on that clutch because I'm beefing up the entire drive train prior to putting an 8V 3.0L turbo in it, but I hadn't heard bad things about the clutch?

I read quite a few reviews of these clutches before selecting it, the only troubles mentioned had to do with using lightweight flywheels on the NA cars, especially the S2. Some criticism of judder in reverse, otherwise lots of praise for them.

What was your experience?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:40 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got the stage 2+ in a 951 with an 8 lb flywheel. it judders for sure, its very driveable and I love it but its not an engagement most people would enjoy.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

It seems, from what I've read anyway, that the 8lb. flywheel might have more to do with rough engagement and overall vibration than the clutch. The S2 in particular has difficulties with this and I've been told that the split torque tubes used in the late model 944 and the 968 were an attempt to correct it. It apparently gets worse when lightweight flywheels are used, but rumor has it the Firehawk S2's were equipped with custom 16Lb flywheels, which can't be found for love or money nowadays. Reports I've read of stage II and III clutches on stock flywheels have been very good, some have said the engagement is virtually the same as the stock Sachs units.

Quick Reply: Clutch wear signs on a na 944