Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using MicroSquirt/MegaSquirt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 03:53 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Cool project eddie! You should definitely make a build thread for other 924 guys...after reading that website it looks like a sweet upgrade.

Ramius, the wiring harness seems really intimidating but as seen as you start working you'll quickly visualize how it will go. It's really satisfying to lay the harness and trim it, and watch it slowly go from a rat's nest to a sleek harness ready for another couple decades.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sausagehacker

Ramius, the wiring harness seems really intimidating but as seen as you start working you'll quickly visualize how it will go. It's really satisfying to lay the harness and trim it, and watch it slowly go from a rat's nest to a sleek harness ready for another couple decades.
That is encouraging because doing the harness is the next project on my list.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:37 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading all of the above, I settled on fabricating my own harness. I've got 4 DME harnesses I'm going to deconstruct for wire and connectors, working on sourcing the appropriate terminal connectors for the wires. I took my FSM wiring diagrams over to Staples and had them blow up the 89 S2 and 86 951 DME and Central Electric diagrams to poster size so I can work out what needs to stay, what can go, and what I need to add. I borrowed a 4'x8' white board from work to use as a work space for laying out the physical harness. I don't have any experience doing automotive wiring harnesses except for small repairs so I feel like I'm diving in the deep end. Ultimately, I figure it will be easier and less difficult down the road to have a wiring harness that isn't full of splices and mis-matched wiring for diagnosis.

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions as I proceed but it seems like plenty of folks here have considerable experience.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Aaron, I recently completed a similar project where I rebuilt the engine harness with the goal of switching to megasquirt in the near future. I wired it initially for the stock DME so I could get the engine running before introduced a major variable like a new EMU. But it includes all the wires I'll need for megasquirting, plus a bunch of other customizations.

If you're interested I have a spreadsheet that contains a complete wire list for the stock 86 951 harness. Very helpful for cross checking the wiring as you go. I have a similar one for my customized harness. You're welcome to either.

Last edited by Dare; 08-22-2015 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2015, 03:05 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dare
Hey Aaron, I recently completed a similar project where I rebuilt the engine harness with the goal of switching to megasquirt in the near future. I wired it initially for the stock DME so I could get the engine running before introduced a major variable like a new EMU. But it includes all the wires I'll need for megasquirting, plus a bunch of other customizations.
That thing is a work of art!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Are you willing to build another harness for a price?hehehe , seriously though..just a thought.

Originally Posted by Dare

If you're interested I have a spreadsheet that contains a complete wire list for the stock 86 951 harness. Very helpful for cross checking the wiring as you go. I have a similar one for my customized harness. You're welcome to either.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Are you willing to build another harness for a price?
Oh lord, no! But I'm happy to give tips on how to do it yourself!

At some point, my plan is to turn my notes and pictures into a series of in-depth articles on my project site. So far work and life have conspired to prevent that from happening.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:18 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

It's been a couple of months since I updated this thread but that doesn't mean I've given up.

With the help of a few people here I've been compiling a spreadsheet based on another member's input (Thanks Dare!) to capture the connectors, terminals, wire and heat shrink necessary to build my wiring harness. I've de-constructed 951 and S2 DME harnesses to determine how Porsche built them initially and attempted to pare down the resources necessary for a harness designed to meet all of my needs. Somewhat shockingly, the largest individual cost for building a motorsport-quality wiring harness is the heat shrink. Second largest cost is good Tefzel wire in a range of colors and the cheapest portion has been the connectors. Honestly, as I was planning this I felt the costs would be reversed. I spent some time in a local junkyard and wound up with all of the AMP Junior Power Timer connectors I'll need. I completely disassembled them, cleaned and inspected everything and then depinned the connectors for new terminals. With a bit of google effort, I was able to source a brand new 55 pin ECU connector so the only connector I'll be reusing from a Porsche harness is the connector for the oil level sender.

The RBracing website is an invaluable resource for how to build a harness that will stand up to the extreme environment of an engine bay for a long time. I'm confident this new harness will age much better than the one I removed.

On a side note and a separate discussion point, I did a considerable amount of research about clutch options using the stock S2 flywheel. Initially I wanted to retain the S2 flywheel due to the 60-2 teeth on the perimeter for ease of crank position sensing. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear there is a suitable clutch and pressure plate combination that will withstand ~500 crank hp for any length of time. Luckily, 36-1 and 60-2 crank trigger wheels are plentiful and I'll be going with a trigger wheel mounted on the crank pulley. I've seen a number of sensor mounting options but I'm leaning toward one using the belt tensioner shaft for ease of install and adjustment. Plus, going with a 951 flywheel and clutch means I can pick up an aluminum flywheel for much cheaper and the clutch and pressure plate options are a lot better.

I'm in the process of trying to pick up a used VAG 2.0 TFSI COP to test for fitment and function. Haven't been able to determine yet if it is wired up the same as the VAG 1.8T COPs.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:02 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you find the new 55 pin ECU connector?
Old 10-17-2015, 12:37 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azbanks
Where did you find the new 55 pin ECU connector?
I sent you an email after RRV with a spreadsheet attached. The source for the 55 pin is in there.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 10-27-2015, 12:34 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Seriously?!? WTF. I'm tired of any stand alone ECU thread getting butt****ed by someone trying to pimp VEMS. If I wanted VEMS, I would have bought it. If others here wanted VEMS, they would have gone down that road. There's more than a few VEMS threads on here, this thread is specific to Mega/Micro Squirt.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if your tired get some rest, eat less big mac and drink less cola will help you too.
i dont try to pimp anything, didnt find any 944 vems thread and tought this all goes for standalone. but i guess your nervs are ****ed up and you only want to read about your own choice preferences.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

VEMS seems cool but MS offers basically the same thing for a lot less, at the expense of having to DIY your setup. In my opinion, that's what makes it worthwhile though... it's a very educational experience when YOU plan out and build your own engine management after learning how everything works.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:54 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aivar88
if your tired get some rest, eat less big mac and drink less cola will help you too.
i dont try to pimp anything, didnt find any 944 vems thread and tought this all goes for standalone. but i guess your nervs are ****ed up and you only want to read about your own choice preferences.
Thanks for your input. Not interested in discussing VEMS further in this thread.

Quick Reply: Who is using MicroSquirt/MegaSquirt?