Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is using MicroSquirt/MegaSquirt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:13 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S

Later on if people are interested, I might talk a little more about my knock sensing setup which uses factory wiring and the factory knock sensor fed into the MS via a KnockSense unit purchased HERE>>>>http://www.viatrack.ca/ It is capable of real time progressive ignition retard and operates completely behind the scenes exactly like the factory KLR.

I'm interested.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramius665
Jeff, could you expand on your previous 944 running MS? What Porsche/Bosch sensors did you keep and what sensors did you add? How did you wire everything together? What difficulties did you encounter?
I never had the car running, I just had my MS powered up in the car and then I started adding sensors. I used a 3 wire Bosch TPS and made an adapter plate, I used the stock coolant temp sensor and I hooked a vacuum line to the MAP sensor that came with my MS kit. I had no issues calibrating the sensors that I hooked up. I never got the IAT sensor installed but I got the GM one along with my kit. still not sure were that will get installed but it looks like I will put it in the IC pipe that connects to the throttle body.

The only advise I can give about wiring at this time is to make sure you have good grounds and use all new connectors.

I will take the same approach when installing this on my turbo and adding one thing at a time.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:06 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah one thing I forgot was you really should have a wideband 02!

Well I have decided to go with Josh's M-tune for my turbo so megasquirts gets shelved once again. I may pick up a N/A 944 soon and try again. I will continue to follow this thread and help others with MS any way I can.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:02 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Just noticed this thread. I've been using megasquirt for many years, but just for fueling with the DME and KLR controlling spark and knock. I'm starting down the 3.0L road now and I'm planning to use the spark features with that build.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:03 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Aaron what's your build status?
Old 08-05-2015, 06:06 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been incredibly busy this summer and finally found the time to get on here.

After two straight days of emailing back and forth between DIYAutotune and the folks at TunerStudio, I finally got my DIYPNP Microsquirt ECU talking to the TunerStudio software. I was deeply concerned I had somehow screwed up the assembly of my DIYPNP box but it appears all is well. I successfully loaded the 944S tune DIYAutotune (DIYAT) has available as a starting point for later tuning. Because I built my DIYAT ECU to have sequential fuel injection and individual COP ignition, I can't really use it on our 944S for testing without extensively modifying the current DME harness.

I'm hoping to import a good friend and fellow RL'er to help build a new DME harness for the 16V turbo motor in the next few weeks. I have literally zero experience building automotive harnesses so I'm already anticipating it's going to be a long and arduous process. The plan is to take the current DME harness and strip off the PVC coating, remove the Bosch connectors and add the wiring necessary to support the additional sensors and functions, i.e. IAT sensor and COP wiring. Then we'll button everything up, use new high quality wire sheathing and replace the Bosch connectors that are worn out. With any luck, it should essentially appear to be a OEM harness but have all of the functions I need.

Anyone with experience building automotive harnesses, I'd be incredibly curious for advice or assistance.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:46 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

I've been incredibly busy this summer and finally found the time to get on here.

After two straight days of emailing back and forth between DIYAutotune and the folks at TunerStudio, I finally got my DIYPNP Microsquirt ECU talking to the TunerStudio software. I was deeply concerned I had somehow screwed up the assembly of my DIYPNP box but it appears all is well. I successfully loaded the 944S tune DIYAutotune (DIYAT) has available as a starting point for later tuning. Because I built my DIYAT ECU to have sequential fuel injection and individual COP ignition, I can't really use it on our 944S for testing without extensively modifying the current DME harness.

I'm hoping to import a good friend and fellow RL'er to help build a new DME harness for the 16V turbo motor in the next few weeks. I have literally zero experience building automotive harnesses so I'm already anticipating it's going to be a long and arduous process. The plan is to take the current DME harness and strip off the PVC coating, remove the Bosch connectors and add the wiring necessary to support the additional sensors and functions, i.e. IAT sensor and COP wiring. Then we'll button everything up, use new high quality wire sheathing and replace the Bosch connectors that are worn out. With any luck, it should essentially appear to be a OEM harness but have all of the functions I need.

Anyone with experience building automotive harnesses, I'd be incredibly curious for advice or assistance.
With regards to the harness, I got a 8 ft. harness from DIYAutoTune and just ran it to the sensors/devices that were needed. Then, cut it to length and solder. After it was verified, it got sheathing. So far no problems...although it wasn't a quick process. I really like the idea of a new wiring harness, it's one less thing to worry about. Here's my youtube playlist for the wiring harness, while it's not a perfect account of the process I hope it helps people out in this position. This is my only experience with harnesses, so I'm not an expert either.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:53 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
With regards to the harness, I got a 8 ft. harness from DIYAutoTune and just ran it to the sensors/devices that were needed. Then, cut it to length and solder. After it was verified, it got sheathing. So far no problems...although it wasn't a quick process. I really like the idea of a new wiring harness, it's one less thing to worry about. Here's my youtube playlist for the wiring harness, while it's not a perfect account of the process I hope it helps people out in this position. This is my only experience with harnesses, so I'm not an expert either.
So I watched your entire playlist and I'm really impressed. I used a different MicroSquirt ECU, the DIYPNP 55 pin Bosch unit so theoretically it would work with the OEM DME harness. And if I hadn't opted to add the COP ignition and sequential injection, it would have. Instead I get to construct a new wiring harness based on the 16V harness. Now that it's actually talking to the TunerStudio software, I'm much more confident that my MicroSquirt experiment will be successful. I'll still have to add the IAT sensor but otherwise I think I'll be able to retain the existing Porsche/Bosch sensors.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So I watched your entire playlist and I'm really impressed. I used a different MicroSquirt ECU, the DIYPNP 55 pin Bosch unit so theoretically it would work with the OEM DME harness. And if I hadn't opted to add the COP ignition and sequential injection, it would have. Instead I get to construct a new wiring harness based on the 16V harness. Now that it's actually talking to the TunerStudio software, I'm much more confident that my MicroSquirt experiment will be successful. I'll still have to add the IAT sensor but otherwise I think I'll be able to retain the existing Porsche/Bosch sensors.
why on this god's green earth would you WANT to retain anything bosch? The whole beauty of stand alone is moving away from the ****ty 80's bosch engineering. Sorry if this comes across as crass, but so many people are just doing it wrong...

You have literally unlimited possibilities to use any hardware you can dream of...why would you stick with anything OEM? The name of the game is cheap and reliable... The parts Michael and I use are available at literally any auto parts store or junkyard in America for pennies and are time tested, dead reliable hardware. My car is literally at least 5 times more reliable than any 944 running a DME purely through virture of the hardware I'm running.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951S
My car is literally at least 5 times more reliable than any 944 running a DME purely through virture of the hardware I'm running.
you might be getting ahead of yourself here...
given the number of 944s that are running without issues still today at 30 years old...you'll have to keep your car going for another 150 years without a breakdown
Old 08-07-2015, 01:17 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

I agree with Doug on most of that - imagine you're dating an Olympic gymnast girlfriend who is more flexible than you could imagine, and all you do is missionary. There are so many uh, possibilities! That pertains mostly to injection and ignition configurations and you are already said you were doing COP and sequential.

I had so many random no-starts with my car and a lot of electrical runs and connectors were on their last legs so for me, it made sense. I haven't had a single no-start since converting, in fact my car starts and runs smoother than my backup Honda. Spencer I agree that the 944 is very robust all things considered, but the Motronic gremlins are basically a fact of life for owning a 944.

Ramius: Even if you do retain all the Bosch hardware, you still will be ahead of the game. Besides the tune and other software-configurable stuff like sequential fuel and spark, you can see sensor readouts in realtime and datalog right to a file. Plus if there ever is a problem that you think is hardware, you can test the injectors and coil(s) through the software with the engine off. It also shows you the sensor readouts so if a sensor is dead, it will be obvious which one. What sensors are you planning on keeping? On a 16V you can use the speed sensor and probably the hall sensor for the cam and coolant temp sensor. But you'll need a TPS, and hopefully a wideband and MAP/IAT.

Last edited by odonnell; 08-07-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 08-08-2015, 05:25 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Michael,
The MicroSquirt ECU I picked up is the DIYPNP version designed to plug into the OEM DME harness. When I was in the initial planning stages of this new motor, I didn't want to get slowed down for months (because of my lack of free time) building a completely new harness. Watching your videos certainly made it look much easier than I was led to believe. Ultimately I have too much money invested in my DIYPNP ECU to swap it for another Mega/MicroSquirt.

On this new motor I'm going to retain the coolant temp, knock, speed and cam position sensors. I'm keeping the ISV for cold starts and using a modified 951 throttle body and TPS. I've been running a Zeitronix wideband with an EGT sensor added, I'm going to just bring this over to the MS as it's incredibly easy to wire in. My DIYPNP box already has a MAP sensor with barometric correction so the only sensor I really have to add is the IAT.

I'm really looking forward to getting everything together and the thought of COP ignition makes me get a little giddy just because I've always wanted a 16V motor with it.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:40 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

This is a good starting point:

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/wiring_ecu.html

These haltech how to videos are nice too..

Last edited by Voith; 08-09-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:17 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I will be running Microsquirt but to control one of these bad boys..
Name:  v8cis-e_zpsaulfpxlm.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  21.5 KB
So I guess that doesn't really count..
But I'll still have a stupid amount of fuel available to boost to the moon, full AFR tunability, and the microsquirt will still run my ignition and control my boost etc...
apples-oranges.. Different strokes..
Old 08-09-2015, 03:39 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

After going back and comprehensively reading through all the technical jargon in this thread maybe I should stop reading immediately so I don't get scared off, jk.

Ok in all seriousness this is what my system and plan look like..

Stage 1: fuel only: Get microsquirt with its modified (fuel side only) firmware to run my CIS-E v8 distributor and learn to tune the thing.. http://www.frankencis.com/ if you want to know about it at all..
This will be a bit different than EFI so I'm a bit on my own with the experts that made the thing there, but all the rest of microsquirt is unchanged so boost control, knock, spark, all that should be exactly the same as a standard EFI system..
Push it back to about 1 Bar boost from there..

Stage 2: Get the thing to control my boost (930 dual port WG) and see what I can't do about adding a knock sensor to the mix..
This should be plenty enough to run me out of turbo. HG, and pistons should be upgraded at this point and beyond (if they get this far period)..
I think with the turbo going on the car now I'll be good to about 20psi @ about 320-330 CHP on stock internals.
I will have enough fuel for at least 500HP+ (maybe closer to 700) and never expect to use near all of that..

Stage 3: Get the microsquirt to take over my ignition, this is low priority because my OEM ignition is simple and bulletproof. I have no idea yet what sort of ignition setup I would want or what would be best for my case. I need to do a lot more research in this area before I can make any decisions.. I'm in it because I'm hooked on the v8 CIS-E not really ignition, yet.
I think more complex and mappable ignition will be a good upgrade at this point or before, I don't really know yet.. Fuel is the priority..

Priorities go back to brakes and suspension and such other things somewhere before and/or after stage 3 depending on what the budget allows where.

Stage 4+: Maybe years later.. Complete engine rebuild because I'm bound to blow it up at least once or twice by now.
Best pistons for boost I can get my hand on, maybe rods (OEM rods are Massive, forged crank, iron block, huge bearings), O-ring block, maybe a cam, big a** turbo, porting, refresh everything, yada yada..
Experiment with stupid boost and set the record for the most powerful 931 engine in the history of mankind. I believe the record is about 450 hp on an engine dyno, pipe dream..

But anyway stage 1-3 are realistic and what I'm working on now/next, pieces are on the way and the process begins..

If any of you have any tips/pointers cool but I can't expect you guys to help on such an oddball build, and at this point I really don't know what I'm doing with MS at all yet so I can't be of much help to anyone here either. I just thought I'd post what I'm up to with MS because you guys might think it's neat or something..

I am on the lookout for a Microsquirt V3 box if any of you have one that you've given up on or decided not to use for some reason. I can't see a problem with me saving some $$ over new and relieving someone of some clutter they don't want/need anymore in return for some more car tinkering budget..
Has to be the new V3 for the custom firmware to work right..
If you have a microsquirt v3 and want to upgrade to a bigger better one or whatever let me know..

Quick Reply: Who is using MicroSquirt/MegaSquirt?