Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wipers acting oddly

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Windshield wipers acting oddly

Hi Everyone,
Looked through the archives and did not find this issue (may be my search skills - my kids find things I only think "may be " on the web..lol),

Anyway, wipers were working ok recently. Intermittent wipers wiped and all speeds operated correctly.

Then this morning, I tried the intermittent wipers. They worked for a bit - ten minutes or so and then stopped. Switched to low speed and that worked as expected until I switched the stalk back to intermittent position. The wipers stopped where they were on the windshield, i.e., did not return to rest position.

This phenomenon appeared in all three continuous speeds - stopped on the windshield when I returned the stalk to the "off" position. And the intermittent wipers do not operate at all now.

Do I see a relay replacement in my future?

Any advice / help is appreciated
Merry Christmas
Ed
Old 12-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Relay only does the intermittent stuff...so maybe that, or the switch. What I don't know (so hopefully someone else does) is what governs the wipers "returning" to the down position.

BTW, you can probably replace the wiper relay with a "digital" one out of a VW. I read about that in the 928 forums and was able to do it on my '89 S2. Basically, intermittent with that relay is 6 seconds. If you want shorter/longer, you turn the wipers back off, then back to intermittent. The new interval is however long you had them off. It's kinda neat, and was like $12 shipped on ebay for the relay (VW/Audi/Saab #99/#198).

Here are some details from one of the 928 guys: http://www.moore-fun.net/Porsche/int...ent_wipers.htm
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wipeout
Relay only does the intermittent stuff...so maybe that, or the switch. What I don't know (so hopefully someone else does) is what governs the wipers "returning" to the down position.

BTW, you can probably replace the wiper relay with a "digital" one out of a VW. I read about that in the 928 forums and was able to do it on my '89 S2. Basically, intermittent with that relay is 6 seconds. If you want shorter/longer, you turn the wipers back off, then back to intermittent. The new interval is however long you had them off. It's kinda neat, and was like $12 shipped on ebay for the relay (VW/Audi/Saab #99/#198).

Here are some details from one of the 928 guys: http://www.moore-fun.net/Porsche/int...ent_wipers.htm

More than likely your Wiper switch is going out, you could try to clean the contacts or get a used one as new ones are a bit expensive.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:44 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The return to bottom position is handled by an extra contact within the wiper motor. A wheel inside spins in time with the oscillation of the wipers. It has a circular contact that provides an alternate power source to the motor except for when the wipers are at bottom position. If this contact gives up, the stalk is the only source of power, so when you turn the wipers off at the stalk, the motor has no more power. Chances are you just need to clean up the circular contact and the arm that touches it.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Everyone,
Good advice by all. Thanks.
Merry Christmas.
Ed
Old 12-20-2014, 03:10 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grease in wiper motor will harden up and make the aux contact sticky - or it can get pitted - worth looking at.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:30 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New relay fixed that for me.

Quick Reply: Windshield wipers acting oddly