Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO tach bounce.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 06:25 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO tach bounce.

My car Saturday would not start. No tach bounce at all, however it did turn over just fine. Sunday morning I tried again & boom started right up. Drove a few time sunday no problem. Monday morning, started up and drove to work just fine! Monday evening after getting off.. same no start thing. Turns over but no tach bounce again. Checked connections, everything seems to be fine? It is 27 degrees outside though.

Any ideas?
Old 11-25-2014, 06:45 PM
ehokana
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd still suggest replacing the speed/reference sensors. I had an intermittent no-start very similar to what you're describing and replacement of the sensors solved the issue.

The connections on mine all seemed fine too, at the time- I guess the sensors don't always fail completely all at once, but may slowly break down before failing
Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehokana
I'd still suggest replacing the speed/reference sensors. I had an intermittent no-start very similar to what you're describing and replacement of the sensors solved the issue. The connections on mine all seemed fine too, at the time- I guess the sensors don't always fail completely all at once, but may slowly break down before failing
Just pulled the one that's farther towards the back of the car. It was a little marked up at the tip..
Old 11-26-2014, 12:00 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Man everyone is having crank sensor issues lately!

If you don't have access to an oscilloscope to test them, give this a try:

And if they don't pass the test, check them again at the sensor connectors behind the intake manifold.

Also, next time it happens try giving the DME a light tap. If that fixes it you might have some bad solder joints in there.

It was suggested in my thread though that the wiring harness is the most likely culprit. Lindsey Racing makes a replacement.

Quick Reply: NO tach bounce.