Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Father/Son 944

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:34 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

great to see you teaching the kid about cars and wrenching.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:54 PM
SOB Racing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well crap....the drivers side door handle is busted. I replaced the trigger and spring when we got the car, looks like a need to hunt down a actual latch now.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:01 PM
SOB Racing
Intermediate

Decided to pull the front cover and make sure the timing and balance belt arn't on the verge of mass destruction.

The timing belt is Contitech so apparently it was changed at least once in it life. Seems in good shape.

Water pump is the upgraded water pump with the guard...I was watching a youtube video on changing a 83 belt change and it said that was a good thing. At what point did they start putting the upgraded pump on?

Curious to see if the pump was changed before. Do the 2 plastic wheels that keep the balance and timing belt from slapping around seem a little rough?

One thing I notices was the 83 belt change video said that the balance belt should be able to be flipped 180 degrees to be tensioned correctly, Mine goes 90 degrees.

It does have the newer style 18mm balance shaft belt (according to Clarks Garage)

Last edited by SOB Racing; 11-25-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: addition
Old 11-26-2014, 02:06 PM
SOB Racing
Intermediate

Here's some more progress on the bellhousing. 1/2 MDF is template for the 1/2 aluminum adapter. I will be turning an aluminum locater to center on the hole in that plate and the opening in the torque tube. That will both ensure the drive shaft is concentric with the clutch/pilot bearing and take the vertical load off the 4 bolt flange of the torque tube. The 4 bolt will thread into this adapter.

One snafu through:

The 1" Porsche driveshaft, represented by the clutch alignment tool, doesn't fit through the cast n TOB sleeve in the Talon AWD bell (which was 5/8"). Which really sucks because I could use the stock clutch arm, TOB and slave setup from the Talon

So some calculations:

Can anyone measure the movement of a driveshaft in a torque tube so I can calculate how much clearance I need to bore out of the cast TOB sleeve?

It shouldn't move around much when mounted, but I don't want the driveshaft touching the casting while in assembly.
And then I can see how thin that TOB sleeve will end up and still be strong enough. The TOB shouldn't take much side load but can't be too thin. 8)
Old 12-07-2014, 06:25 PM
SOB Racing
Intermediate

We hopefully after replace the front latches with ebay repo's, the rear power latches with Porsche manuals, both sealsfrom only944.com and adjusting the cross tensioning bars...the sunroof might finally be fixed on not leaking anymore!!

I've never spent so much time on something that doesn't make a car go faster down the quarter mile!
Old 03-12-2015, 12:57 PM
SOB Racing
Intermediate

Car is parked in storage but i got a little bit of an update. Son has been asked when are we getting back to work so that's a good sign.

Got my mockup bellhousing from some machining. Had the TOB slide bored to 27mm to clear the 25mm 944 driveshaft/torque tube. Should be enough casting meat to work with the Mitsu clutch

Still working on seeing how mutch AWD trans casting to remove. All open areas will be tig welded close with AL plate.

Here the adapter that centers the torque tube on the center line of the bellhousing and the crank.

MDF template for bellhousing adapter and the torque tube adapter. The TT adapter needs 3 bolt hole bored in it. I'm working on building an indexing head for my new lathe to allow me to lay out the bolts holes easier. I could lay them out by hand...but I want to build a lathe index head anyway. 8)

Everything mocked up. I'll need to index the bolt holes for the TT with engine in the car in case the engine needs to be tipped to one side for engine compartment clearance.

Quick Reply: Project: Father/Son 944