Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:36 PM
ferraristyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Again

Hello all

Been gone for a while in the 944 world, sold my S2, bought a boxster, sold that, bought an 81 928, sold that, bought a Cayenne S, sold that, bought a 996 turbo, sold that, but I did keep my Cayenne GTS for a daily driver, and the 996 got traded for a 360 Spider, which brings me to my reintroduction.

Was using my GTS as a daily driver which it's great at except its not the best in the city or for gas milage. So I started thinking about what car I could get as a daily driver, and, for my needs, wasn't much I could think of beside a 944. However, being is I will be driving about 100 miles/day all I needed was a base 2.5 coupe.

So after much searching I just purchased an 84, 2 owner car with 45,000 on it. Red with tan interior (matches the Ferrari ) 5 speed, fuch wheels and all maintenance and records back to 1990 with the majors completed last year. Can't wait to take delivery which should be sometime next week. (Pics will follow)

Not going to do too much to the car but will be "updating' it. I'm currently searching for some early offset 17" turbo twist rims so if you have some please PM me.

Also I will be installing the Euro front bumper, and having the windows tinted 20% all around.

As far as performance, I know there is not much to get out of these cars but I will probably go with the Rogue Tuning DME, BMC air filter, and a cat back exhaust. I had an SFX on my S2 that I loved but don't even know if they are in business still. If they are, please let me know a site.

Anyway, just wanted to reintroduce myself. Looking forward to the adventure of this car as my DD.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:15 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back, sounds like you found a mint example. Enjoy the new daily driver when it arrives and looking forward to pics.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:19 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice list of cars! Looking forward to the pictures
Old 11-23-2014, 12:16 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome back to the forum. I agree this is a basic, fun, economical, all-around daily driver. Wait a minute.....Isn't that what these cars were designed for? For the price these days, you can't miss. Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 408 Posts

How does it compare to Ferrari?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 PM
ferraristyle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
How does it compare to Ferrari?
The 944 (which I will be picking up on Wednesday) is no comparison to the Ferrari. It's night and day and 20 years of technology. It's apples and oranges. 308 Vs a 944 would be a better comparison, and in a Car and Driver article from the time the 944 took first over 5 other cars including a 308 and a 928.

Like I said, this is going to be my DD so I don't have to run the Cayenne all the time, so I really just bought it as my "beater". But there was no other car under 10K that would fit my bill for an "exotic hatchback" which is what I need.

I set my budget at 10K but if I would have wanted more, I would have waited till after winter and picked up an S2 or 968 for 7K or so more. But my plan is to use this on non snow days (thats what the Cayenne will be for) and then at some point add a 928 into the mix again for my longer trips.

I will say this, Ferrari quality sucks. I have over 15K in maintenance in a car I drove less than 1000 miles. Very poorly made cars when comparing like for like to Porsche. But a Porsche will just never be a Ferrari. My 996TT was hands down a better, faster, more reliable, less hassle car and a much better value. The Ferrari is really just a showpiece that sounds awesome, other then that, Porsche is a better marque....which is why I now own 2 of them. In my opinion, the deal to buy right now is the 996TT....all wheel drive beast.

In fact, my girl won't even let me look at the 997tt or even the 996tt as she was afraid to ride in it because it was that scary fast. She likes the Ferrari because.......it's slower.......go figure.....

Quick Reply: Hello Again