Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Late 944 Dash LEDs...a reference post

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aivar88
Does anyone know wich leds are needed to replace instrument lights? Ac control etc. lights i mean.
Hmmm, the defrost lever (in between the two vents) and the fan speed **** are #74 bulbs and you can drop in replacements. The ones in the climate control unit are component LEDs, I believe you'd have to solder them. Not sure if I've seen a 944 thread about doing that (I've seen threads where some 928 guys do it).

...found a listing of the bulbs in the climate control module, however, in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...d-install.html

Here it is: http://members.rennlist.com/billthe3...scriptions.htm

Last edited by Wipeout; 11-16-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

And have you considered blacklight bulbs for the cluster? Someone from pelican did and it looked pretty cool
Old 11-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aivar88
And have you considered blacklight bulbs for the cluster? Someone from pelican did and it looked pretty cool
I didn't; I was trying to go "stock-ish."
Old 11-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I ordered white and uv ones... will let you know how they look once i receive them and get the job done.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Remember2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed the 3 main lights based on your recommendation - much MUCH better... a very recommended upgrade! Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 02:00 PM
jipster
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Warning LED flashes all the time

Originally Posted by GrantM
I also used all Superbright LEDs to do this replacement several years ago. Now the master warning light faintly flashes continuously. Have you noticed this at all? The other LEDs work fine.
I too have done this upgrade and the lights look great however, I also get this quick flashing of the ! light. I think it may to do with the DME checking to make sure the bulb is good. Just a guess however. I am not sure if anyone else has seen this as well. I used the same brighter LED B8.5D-RHP. The light functions as it supposed to; it just keeps flashing faintly, but noticeable specially at night.

I can live with it but thought you should all know. This is on a 89 944S2.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:36 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I ordered three of the dash illumination bulbs listed above:

Dash illumination: 3 194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle, Natural White (P/N: WLED-NW5)

So here is a picture of the new bulb with the old bulb. Did I order the wrong thing? Am I supposed to pull the old glass bulb out of the little white plastic holder and put in the new one?

The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (09-13-2022)
Old 10-16-2015, 01:29 PM
slinger569
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just did this update. Directions from the original poster are great to say the least.

I got these twist holders to go along with my bulbs -
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...se-socket/704/

but I believe you can reused the stock bulb holders. If I remember correctly the bulb pulls right out.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:04 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for that! I'll take another try at pulling the bulb out of the holder, I was probably being too gentle. If not I'll order up some holders like you did.

Update: pulled the old bulb out and reused the original holder. I can now see my dash at night. Great success!

Last edited by chrenan; 10-17-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:46 PM
Exarkit
3rd Gear

Hi all, i had a big issue with my dashboard lighting driving down to the middle of france for a holiday. looking at the light tunnels and i tryed chrome paint but that did not work so i used ailuminum tape which works. but i wanted to switch to leds and to a red light, i have gotten some 6 led smd, they work in the dash out of the car on an 12v battery, but once pluged into the car on the dimmer circuit they dont work, when buying them i asked if they would work on a dimmer circit... - ok these were from ebay, and not superbrightleds but i was not going to pay the 20 $ shipping to the uk/france... can any one help put some light back into my dash?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Exarkit
Hi all, i had a big issue with my dashboard lighting driving down to the middle of france for a holiday. looking at the light tunnels and i tryed chrome paint but that did not work so i used ailuminum tape which works. but i wanted to switch to leds and to a red light, i have gotten some 6 led smd, they work in the dash out of the car on an 12v battery, but once pluged into the car on the dimmer circuit they dont work, when buying them i asked if they would work on a dimmer circit... - ok these were from ebay, and not superbrightleds but i was not going to pay the 20 $ shipping to the uk/france... can any one help put some light back into my dash?
Only thing I can think of is that the bulbs you have may be polarized. Did you try flipping them around?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Exarkit
3rd Gear

yes what i forgot to say on my first post was, i took the bulb holders and marked them with red and black, - and pluged the blubs into the holders and put 12v to them plus to red black to neg and if they did not work turned them around tryed again, they lit up, replaced them into the dash with the red bing at the top, and connected the battery to connections for ground and lighting and got them to show up.

i have sent an message to the guy on ebay asking he he got any clues and is sending another pack..

i might try to pull off the red plasic to see if i can solder in an resistor to them.... but they look packed alrdy.

if all ease fails i have to bite the bullet and get 3 bulbs from superbriteleds and pay $20 shipping for $12 bits ( i cant seem to find places in uk apart from ebay and items from them alrdy did not work but so far have only cost me £12 including postage to france £1.99/2.09 is what i paided so far for 10 bulbs each.... they all work just not in dimmer circuts so i can see i got spare bulbs for an project... ) but that needs me to have a job....
Old 08-25-2016, 06:42 PM
CrookedRacer
Instructor

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../105890/page2/

About halfway down this page I detail my LED upgrade. It's worked out well for me, using stuff I had around anyway.

Just another way to do it.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 PM
Exarkit
3rd Gear

yes i have though about geting 3 stips of leds that go where the light tunnels go, i just dont have the stips of leds, risitors, and an lot of paticent of putting them in the culster ok i got two cluster to play with, but i would like to go down the replament blub led's than whire up it myself.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM
spacedoc
Intermediate

It looks like superbrightleds.com has discontinued the "low power" B8.5 red and green bulbs that were listed in the original post. All that's available are the "high power" version (the ones that are used for the !, turn, and high beam lights). The difference in brightness is 2 vs 20 lumens. I'd rather all the dash lights not be the super bright ones... has anyone used an alternate source for bulbs?

Quick Reply: Late 944 Dash LEDs...a reference post