Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Gurus.. I need your help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 Gurus.. I need your help

So heres the story, I sat in rush hour traffic for over an hour, and then after being less than a mile from my destistination, I pushed in on my clutch to shift. The pedal went straight to the floor.. Pushed it up with my foot and went to push it in again and it was not moving. Rock hard. $450 flatbed ride home and fast forward to today. I just did the nightmare job of getting the clutch bell housing off (thank you for the help on here and 944Online everyone, really appreciate it) and the throw out bearing and clutch fork were stuck together. After using a pry bar I got the clutch fork off.. It's pretty messed up, see photos. Throw out bearing will not move/spin. I found the Sachs clutch kit on ebay for $605 that I'm going to order and it comes with a throw out bearing. Any Idea where I could find a clutch for OR tell me what even happened to cause this?

Here are some photos go my poor clutch fork and seized throw out bearing..http://imgur.com/a/LAHIt
Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

It sounds like you have explained exactly what happened... the throwout bearing seized, which caused the outer part of the throwout bearing to spin and rub against the fork, which friction-welded the two together.

You broke it free with a prybar, and now you need to buy another fork from one of the usual parts suppliers here on Rennlist.

You might want to replace the throwout bearing guide tube, too. (It bolts to the bell housing.)

And, while you're in there, you might want to replace your rear main seal, too.

And get some fresh exhaust gaskets do you don't have any leaks when you put it back together.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:09 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
It sounds like you have explained exactly what happened... the throwout bearing seized, which caused the outer part of the throwout bearing to spin and rub against the fork, which friction-welded the two together.

You broke it free with a prybar, and now you need to buy another fork from one of the usual parts suppliers here on Rennlist.

You might want to replace the throwout bearing guide tube, too. (It bolts to the bell housing.)

And, while you're in there, you might want to replace your rear main seal, too.

And get some fresh exhaust gaskets do you don't have any leaks when you put it back together.
Gotcha, I'm on the hunt for a new one now. If you know of one, feel free to point me in the right direction. Another dumb question but.. If I spin my torque tube, is it suppose to make a ticking noise?
Old 10-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Torque tube should be whisper quiet and smooth. You likely have a bad driveshaft support bearing (there are 4). That is probably coincidental and not caused by the throwout bearing failure.

Quick Reply: 944 Gurus.. I need your help