Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rekindling my project '83

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Pilk
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rekindling my project '83

New member 1st post warning!
I've had my '83 for 13 years but she's been on jack stands almost exclusively for the last decade of here life. She was my dd for 3 years, but then became a toy and really only ran a few weekends at a time since that point sadly. I have totally rebuilt her front a rear suspension with Koni adjustable Yellows and Ground Control coilover sleeves, as well as other goodies but I forget all of the brands. The engine has been resleeved with Darton MIDs and a 968 crank, all fed by custom 52mm ITBs. I poured some serious cash into this car back in the day but after I lost my job a few years ago I had to shelve the project. She sat at a shop in south Atlanta for a little bit sadly. Long enough that the owner sold the business and the new owners "misplaced" her. I did eventually "find" her in a gated impound area behind the building. Someone had backed a tow truck into her so there is some (thankfully only cosmetic) body damage in several places sadly. I also discovered that several things were missing, like the ITB system, p&p/big valve head, the 968 transmission w/speedo mods and my 951 clutch kit (minus the pp I had reground to fit the NA ring gear.) I'm guessing those are now on someone else's car but I'll never know. I could have sued him but this was such a shady establishment I wouldn't have gotten anywhere as it'd be his word against mine as to what was installed and the business changed hands. It was just too much of a hassle, so I cut my losses and just glad to have my car back. Sadly this means there are LOTS of faults and some rust issues that I need to work out. I was also pretty dumb when I first started modding her so lots of crappy, half-assed things that need to be redone. All of that considered I'm just going to do a ground up restore and make her what she really deserves to be. It's going to be a long process as I have 2 other projects going on at the same time. But my Engel is back and I'm ready to roll my sleeves up!

So tl;dr aside I see that a LOT has changed in the 944 community in my absence.

I'm going to pull the motor this weekend and I see with my prescription googles that the S head swap is a thing now. That used to be a feared no-no back in the day. What do you guys think would flow better: Another big valve p&p 8V or a no limits p&p 16v?
I figure if I do go with the 16v that the pistons need to change (see below), but is there any other obstacle to consider as well?

This is all preliminary thought, but I'm thinking about boosting too this motor since the block is pretty damn solid with those Darton sleeves. Either way I'm going with some new rods and pistons on the bottom, though if I do boost lowering that compression. I'll no doubt have tons of other questions along the way as well. All told, just glad to her back in my garage and cant wait to get back into the driver's seat! When I get one...... Yeah, they yoinked those too.

Quick Reply: Rekindling my project '83