Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the forum and Porsche. Denver area.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum and Porsche. Denver area.

I just purchased a 1986 951 this week as a long term project car to restore. It runs and drives but has no history and makes no boost. I've been digging into it and am in the process of swapping out the timing belt, fuel lines, and then install vacuum lines that are actually correctly connected and go from there.

I figure before I actually get to the point where I start asking questions I wanted to introduce myself. I know a couple other local 951 owners but would love to know more, especially in the southern Denver area. (I'm in Highlands Ranch)

Now I need an asprin after reading about tensioning the timing belt for the last couple hours. I have a Kricket and will probably use that in combination with the 1/2 twist method. So that probably tells everyone I'm one of those "cheap" Porsche owners. ;-)
Old 10-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

The Kricket and 1/2 twist will get the job done, I've done it many times. Welcome to the community!
Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

I looked everywhere and couldn't actually find any target specs. I'm thinking about 40 lbs on the TB and just doing the full turn on the BB. Is there a recommended tension on the other two accessory belts? (Alternator/PS Pump)
Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

40lb is correct for the tb from what I've seen. For the acc belt I usually just twist to feel, and I don't have PS so no advice on that one lol
Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Old 10-23-2014, 11:39 PM
RoyaleWithCheese
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

There's a big difference in being a cheap owner and being a neglectful owner. It's good to see you're bringing that 951 back to proper running order.

Doing the work yourself on these cars definitely brings the cost of ownership down.

If you need to borrow any of the special wrenches or need any help with the belts pm me. I use the twist method too though so I don't have the special tensioning tool.

Now post some pics of the car!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:54 AM
Alpineace
Pro

ah, I saw that one, I was tempted, what did you end up getting it for?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:05 AM
Forty-six and 2
Advanced

I'm from the Springs. It's cool to see there are a good handful of 944/951 owners in the state. We should get a gtg/cruise planned at some point!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Originally Posted by Alpineace
ah, I saw that one, I was tempted, what did you end up getting it for?
Ended up paying $2,400 for it. The exterior and interior are pretty trashed (worse than pics made it look) but rust free and unmolested so I feel good about it. Also it has the LSD which really appealed to me. I don't have a lot of money to throw at it, so I expect to be working on this project for many years to come. That's just fine with me, I'm patient and just needed another project to play with and wrench on. A Toyota truck is fantastically practical for my job and reliable, but I needed something that was more my baby. You know what I mean?

Last edited by Chuck Henry; 10-24-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Originally Posted by Forty-six and 2
I'm from the Springs. It's cool to see there are a good handful of 944/951 owners in the state. We should get a gtg/cruise planned at some point!
I'm an ex-Audi guy and we would do garage GTG's at my house all the time. I would bring the grill around and we would BBQ and hang out while guys would do different projects. It's a lot of fun. I don't have a great house or anything and only a small 2-car garage but I love having people over so most people knew where I lived. ;-)

I would be happy to do the same with the 944 crowd if guys are interested. Although we're running out of nice days to do it for this year. Is there a "regional" forum guys are on?

Took a couple pictures last night, but since I'm in the middle of tearing the motor apart they aren't the best. Hopefully I'll have it on the road sometime next week!

Old 10-24-2014, 11:22 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Looking good Chuck!
Old 10-25-2014, 02:49 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry
I don't have a great house or anything and only a small 2-car garage...
...but the garage floor has some sweet stripes!
Old 10-25-2014, 07:27 PM
Alpineace
Pro

how much was that rack?
I need a garage like that!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

It was about $2,400 for the MaxJax and I love the thing. It only lifts if 4' in the air, but if you are used to jack stands it's simply amazing.

Big thanks to Brent for coming by and helping me with the timing belt. I've got the intake off and I'm tackling the vacuum lines and such. Looks like I have some additional parts to buy. I'm going to look in the shop manual, but what are the two sensors near the flywheel window (where you look for OT) because one of the plugs has crumbled. I also can't seem to pull the sensor out but it comes out about 1/2" and stops. Probably just weak from a full day of wrenching! ;-)
Old 10-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Forty-six and 2
Check out the Porsche Breakfast Club Yahoo group. Our next meeting is November 8th at the Village Inn at I25 and Colorado. I arranged the following. Join the yahoo group, and also PM me if you want me to put you on the list for November 8th. You don't need your Porsche for these meetings even though it is cool to see a couple dozen Porsches in the lot.

November 8th tour of a restoration shop and discussion on how to hold the value of your driver quality collector car.

Following up on this part of my old car addiction, I arranged for us to take a tour and have a discussion on November 8th with Steve Bell, owner of Classic Investments 3940 S Mariposa, Englewood, CO (303) 388-9788 .

Lets start the discussion with "what can you do to your driver quality collectible that will enhance it's value without turning it into a trailer queen?" Let's learn from someone who has been restoring and trading collectible cars for years.

The plan is that after the November 8th breakfast up to about 25 of us will meet at Steve's shop at 11:30 for a tour and discussion.

Quick Reply: New to the forum and Porsche. Denver area.