Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fall foliage cruise, NY area

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fall foliage cruise, NY area

So I think since I joined rennlist in 2007 (holy crap) there has always been a fall cruise through the area around Bear Mtn. The roads, well known, the people, while sometimes new faces they're nonetheless a great group of enthusiasts. I scrolled through and haven't seen a post for this year's drive, so I'll make it. I organized am event earlier this year for several members, I plan on doing almost the same route, with some changes to add some more entertainment.*

I'm planning for October 12th, 2014, it's a Sunday, save the date.

I did open this up to non porsche owners (my friends) whom are a great group of people as well (there are some porsche owners there too).

The event will start at the normal place, rest and gas area in the median at exit 5 on the palisades parkway. From there we will head north a few miles before jumping off into some roads through and around the mountain, once we finish that area we will head further north to(if opened) cliffs of insanity. There will be a couple of stop points along the way allowing for pictures of cars, friends, and scenery. I can promise some great views. From cliffs of insanity we will head west to a winery located in warwick, ny. The winery offers, wine tasting, food, soda, wine (duh), and this spring they also had a local beer selection as well. From there I have added as optional a trip to highpoint mountain, the highest point in NJ, where you can see PA, NY and NJ from the monument. We will proceed to follow rt.23 north to hawks nest, another great driving area that offers tight passes along cliffs over the Delaware river and pull of spots for recording and taking pictures. The part after the winery will be optional as I know it is not normally done for this fall event.*

I will be on here more routinely now that I have a better Internet provider. Any questions feel free to ask, inbox if need be. I will update with specifics as time goes forward. I am hoping this will work out for many people. If I can figure out how to cross post then it will be placed in the 944, 928, 993, 930 section.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 PM
V996
Racer

I might be interested. Bit of a drive for me though.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 PM
87 944 C
Drifting

From mobile I can't see where you're located. But I can say, from previous runs using the roads and the winery, it's worth a drive to the start. If you wish to not get up as early you're more than welcome to join up along the way
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

sub'ed
Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 AM
bordin34
Pro

I may join in
Old 08-30-2014, 02:13 AM
tbg22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will try to join

keep us posted

Originally Posted by 87 944 C
So I think since I joined rennlist in 2007 (holy crap) there has always been a fall cruise through the area around Bear Mtn. The roads, well known, the people, while sometimes new faces they're nonetheless a great group of enthusiasts. I scrolled through and haven't seen a post for this year's drive, so I'll make it. I organized am event earlier this year for several members, I plan on doing almost the same route, with some changes to add some more entertainment.*

I'm planning for October 12th, 2014, it's a Sunday, save the date.

I did open this up to non porsche owners (my friends) whom are a great group of people as well (there are some porsche owners there too).

The event will start at the normal place, rest and gas area in the median at exit 5 on the palisades parkway. From there we will head north a few miles before jumping off into some roads through and around the mountain, once we finish that area we will head further north to(if opened) cliffs of insanity. There will be a couple of stop points along the way allowing for pictures of cars, friends, and scenery. I can promise some great views. From cliffs of insanity we will head west to a winery located in warwick, ny. The winery offers, wine tasting, food, soda, wine (duh), and this spring they also had a local beer selection as well. From there I have added as optional a trip to highpoint mountain, the highest point in NJ, where you can see PA, NY and NJ from the monument. We will proceed to follow rt.23 north to hawks nest, another great driving area that offers tight passes along cliffs over the Delaware river and pull of spots for recording and taking pictures. The part after the winery will be optional as I know it is not normally done for this fall event.*

I will be on here more routinely now that I have a better Internet provider. Any questions feel free to ask, inbox if need be. I will update with specifics as time goes forward. I am hoping this will work out for many people. If I can figure out how to cross post then it will be placed in the 944, 928, 993, 930 section.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 AM
V996
Racer

From mobile I can't see where you're located. But I can say, from previous runs using the roads and the winery, it's worth a drive to the start. If you wish to not get up as early you're more than welcome to join up along the way
Ontario Canada. So quite a ways. And I'd have to work the next day :-(
Old 08-30-2014, 07:34 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

Those roads will already be clogged with leaf peepers and other fugitives from the NYC area.

You will either be poking along at 5 mph or easy targets for the gendarmes that need to generate revenue for Cuomo.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

I have never experienced that issue. There are some spots that get a little crowded with people crossing from parking lots into the park to ride bikes or trail walk, but 5mph, never run into that in the 10+ times I've done this event. Plus it's not all bear mtn, there's other roads we will be using outside of that area. Come join and you will see

I will be working on the route and hopefully posting links next weekend. I ran a route earlier this year that differed from the normal one and I think everyone liked it, so I might go with that again, but it was different due to a road being closed, hopefully it won't be now
Old 09-02-2014, 04:53 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is the Thanksgiving (Saturday) run every year Dave puts on, starts at Rye Play Land then to north Jersey then up to the Bear Mountain, Hawks Nest areas, if you have a GPS address for a start I should be able to make it
Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 AM
masterdave
Racer

I dont mean to hijack the thread but ill offer some explanation as to where the runs have gone....

I was one of the instigators of the runs in the NY area along with a few other guys however I have since (about a year ago) moved to Philly and my fellow instigators seem to have gone a bit silent. So there have not been as many runs. If time permits I will try and make it up for this one to see everyone but its a bit far out to plan. That being said,

The Thanksgiving run is in the work so keep your eyes out for a post coming mid month. If anyone has any roads they would like to see included or a possible route suggestion feel free to PM me. I am also looking for some people to help out as group leaders after last years unexpected turn out of over 100 cars we are going to reshape how we run the event.

Regards
Dave
Old 09-03-2014, 04:52 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in Dave
Originally Posted by masterdave
I dont mean to hijack the thread but ill offer some explanation as to where the runs have gone....

I was one of the instigators of the runs in the NY area along with a few other guys however I have since (about a year ago) moved to Philly and my fellow instigators seem to have gone a bit silent. So there have not been as many runs. If time permits I will try and make it up for this one to see everyone but its a bit far out to plan. That being said,

The Thanksgiving run is in the work so keep your eyes out for a post coming mid month. If anyone has any roads they would like to see included or a possible route suggestion feel free to PM me. I am also looking for some people to help out as group leaders after last years unexpected turn out of over 100 cars we are going to reshape how we run the event.

Regards
Dave
Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

i'll be down. I'll prob show up with E30 M3 love driving that thing
Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

Its on thanksgiving? If so I'm out, if not then I'd be up for joining, wouldn't mind being a group leader I'm pretty familiar with the roads
Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 PM
masterdave
Racer

Its on thanksgiving? If so I'm out, if not then I'd be up for joining, wouldn't mind being a group leader I'm pretty familiar with the roads
We run it the saturday after thanksgiving every year here are some pics from other years

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...g-fun-run.html

From the year before
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ing-run-5.html

from the first year
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...end-run-6.html

Regards
Dave

Quick Reply: Fall foliage cruise, NY area