Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Practical guide to megasquirting your 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zermattsilver
+1; sausagehacker is 100% correct stating Megasquirt is THE answer to multitudes of issues. The benefits, to implementing Josh's (rogue-tuning) kit, are minimal and the kit is grossly overpriced. Moreover, Josh's kit does not address an antiquated DME/engine sensors and deteriorating wiring harness. Putting $500ish towards a DIY Megasquirt project will yield a great payoff; rock solid engine management integrity, plus a significant increase in gas millage.
If you have the time to tune your car and want to do an intense project megasquirt is great, there is still something to be said for an easy to install kit that ditches the AFM. Different products for different people i'd say. MS is awesome, but then so is the Rogue tuning MAF. One is a hell of a lot easier than the other and thats a classic trade off. Cheap but time consuming vs more expensive but convenient.

Josh works out of his house and has spent a lot of time developing this, so i can't say i begrudge him making some money on it. As for the DME, you can buy a newly engineered one from Rogue that replaces the aging original for the about the same cost as an assembled MS. Not saying its better than an MS, but it drops in so once again, easy/$$ vs hard/$

I'm following this thread closely though, i've been thinking about MS'ing my 968 engine for full sequential fuel/spark using the DIYPNP, so i'm interested. Keep it up Doug!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1; sausagehacker is 100% correct stating Megasquirt is THE answer to multitudes of issues. The benefits, to implementing Josh's (rogue-tuning) kit, are minimal and the kit is grossly overpriced. Moreover, Josh's kit does not address an antiquated DME/engine sensors and deteriorating wiring harness. Putting $500ish towards a DIY Megasquirt project will yield a great payoff; rock solid engine management integrity, plus a significant increase in gas millage.
you wont get a car running on MS for 500 dollars...you should bufget at least a grand. I wont comment on josh's kits other than to say that a megasquirt setup is not a whole lot cheaper than M-tune. price is the wrong motivator for getting a setup like mine. i have the distinct feeling you grossly underestimate how much work it is. what you are paying for with josh's kit is the plug and play factor.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:11 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

For the record I have no regrets buying Josh's MAF kit for my NA. I can confidently say it has made the car more drivable. My experience was:

1) pay $520 for the kit (incl shipping)
2) pay $150 (I think?) for a late DME
3) wait 2 months for MAF kit
4) install, and surprise, it's a nice upgrade.

So that's already $650+ already. Still featuring a DME from the 80s and a wiring harness that's seen better days... and the inherently annoying design of the rear mounted reference sensors.

Why not spend a little more and mitigate ALL the annoyances at once, in addition to a more modern tune and metering solution? That's all I'm saying....

I have a few people queued up to buy the MAF kit when I go standalone, so that will help the up front costs. Arominus is correct about it being more work up front, so that's a personal decision.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:22 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love to see a wiring diagram for a MS 944 turbo install.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:13 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

"Grossly overpriced"

Poor guy hasn't got a clue. Do I make a little $ on a kit sales, absolutely. Does it even come close to the literal thousands of hours I have spent developing, tooling, continued support, troubleshooting, phone calls, emails, remote computing, time I don't get to spend with my family, etc. etc.

No it doesn't come close. It doesn't even get within an order of magnitude.

I do think the MS is a good option for some people.
I would love to see a back-2-back comparison vs one of my MAF kits with the same mods... I doubt there would be much difference in power or MPG.
There are definite benefits of MS, such as a new wiring harness and hardware. Though I wouldn't call it a more modern tune or metering solution (take a look at how many new OEMs are using MAP-only, not very many as the majority are using MAF).

Regardless, keep up the good work! It is always neat to see new ideas, and setups.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:35 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
"Grossly overpriced"

Poor guy hasn't got a clue. Do I make a little $ on a kit sales, absolutely. Does it even come close to the literal thousands of hours I have spent developing, tooling, continued support, troubleshooting, phone calls, emails, remote computing, time I don't get to spend with my family, etc. etc.

I would love to see a back-2-back comparison vs one of my MAF kits with the same mods... I doubt there would be much difference in power or MPG.
There are definite benefits of MS, such as a new wiring harness and hardware. Though I wouldn't call it a more modern tune or metering solution (take a look at how many new OEMs are using MAP-only, not very many as the majority are using MAF).

Regardless, keep up the good work! It is always neat to see new ideas, and setups.
i couldnt agree more. MAF is very modern, all the new P cars use it. I've never used josh's kits so i cant comment but I know how much development went into his tunes and I also know they work very well, and make just as much power and run just as smooth as an MS tune. on the other hand though, I like the tuneability and hardware options I have, I like having sequential fuel and spark, and I like my electronic boost and knock control. Ms is very NOT plug and play though. I'm very happy with MS but they are two different packages for two totally different types of owners.

Last edited by Dougs951S; 03-18-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

"Grossly overpriced"

I am building a MS system(Since you had to be so selfish and get married and have kids. Who gave you permission to do those things before finishing the S2 kit??????Get a divorce, dump the kid in an orphanage and get to work on the S2 turbo MAF kit and all will be forgiven)and I am excited to see the results.
That is assuming I don't blow up the engine.

I loved the M-tune and really appreciated the customer service. I doubt I'll have tech support on the phone helping with the MS install at 10pm on a Sunday.

I am using the DIYPNP kit but I have to build it myself. How much time will that take and how much is an hour of my time worth. How much time will it take to tune it? It will not be less expensive than M-tune. Not by a long shot.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:43 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

I updated the guide with some clarification on some points, and also updated all the images of my settings to reflect my current 22 psi E85 tune. Next section will dive into knock and boost control.

In other news, took an hr long drive today through the country with my buddy who drives a 993, ambient temps were ~75* and I was spinning my sticky 265's like they were donuts into third gear! This setup really makes some pretty serious torque from a 2.5 liter!

Last edited by Dougs951S; 03-18-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Though I wouldn't call it a more modern tune or metering solution (take a look at how many new OEMs are using MAP-only, not very many as the majority are using MAF).
Josh,

I didn't mean to come across as saying your tune/MAF itself was inferior in some way to a standalone tune. I was trying to say that in addition to (what already has been achieved by this setup) megasquirt replaces a lot of other factory/Bosch engine management nightmare material. The NA-Tune is obviously very well done, it was clearly done by someone who cares and has driven these cars. If the tune that I ended up with using megasquirt even came near it, I wouldn't even be mad.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Michael, no offense taken.

Ultimately, Doug is right - two very different packages for two different solutions.
More than one way to skin a cat.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:14 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone happen to know the right GM TPS which is compatible with our shaft-style throttle body? Searched high and low and only seeing the lever-arm style.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 08:19 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a Ford TPS.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I finished the build of my DIYPNP 55 pin Bosch kit. Main board is complete and firmware is loaded.
Now to get to work on the new harness.
Then I'll get the adapter board jumpered to the main board, get it all installed and fire it up.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by azbanks
I finished the build of my DIYPNP 55 pin Bosch kit. Main board is complete and firmware is loaded.
Now to get to work on the new harness.
Then I'll get the adapter board jumpered to the main board, get it all installed and fire it up.
Are you re-using the stock AFM and reference sensors?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:52 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
Are you re-using the stock AFM and reference sensors?
No, MAP only and I'll be replacing the sensors. My car is an S2 so the flywheel is already set up as 60-1. I plan to use a new factory cam sensor.

Quick Reply: A Practical guide to megasquirting your 944