Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for 944 body/paint work in East Bay, CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 PM
kpsfo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations for 944 body/paint work in East Bay, CA

Hi all,

I have an '87 944 Turbo that I'd like to get repainted - there is cumulative sun damage and there is body work to be done as well, enough that for the estimates I've gotten so far, I've been told it would be more cost-effective to do the whole car.

I live in San Francisco but I work in Pleasanton, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good shop anywhere in between that has done 944s and does good work. I can't go nuts - it doesn't have to be Concours perfect, but I do want it to be close to its old glory if that's financially within reach. Thus far, with sheet metal and seals supplied by me, I've gotten estimates between 6,500 and 10,000.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2014, 07:31 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know anybody in the east bay, but there are some really good shops in the peninsula and south bay. You shouldn't limit yourself geographically - going a little out of your way could be worthwhile. Over the years I've had experiences with these shops (and liked them enough to recommend them):

In San Francisco, I would recommend West Wind Automotive.

In South SF, Zak's Auto Body is good.

In San Carlos, Extreme Autobody is good.

Down in Campbell, a good shop is Exotic Autoworks or Dell Auto Body across the street, can't remember which one it actually was.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:54 PM
kpsfo
Intermediate

Captain Planet, thanks for the info - sorry I took so long to reply.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:29 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kpsfo
Captain Planet, thanks for the info - sorry I took so long to reply.
Just curious, how much body work is needed on your car? Does that price range cover some serious work?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The power is yours!
Old 02-15-2016, 02:58 PM
kpsfo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bonus12
Just curious, how much body work is needed on your car? Does that price range cover some serious work?
The car is faded from sun exposure and it's uneven - so it's a full paint job to start with. There is a dent in the right rocker panel and minor scrapes and dents on the left fender, doors where they meet the body to the rear, rear quarter panel wheel well lips, and one obnoxious dent along the angle of the rear body about six inches below the hatch that is about 2 inches by one.

The hatch glass is also pulling away near one of the hinges - classic 944 problem - but that may need to wait depending on the cost of the rest of it . . .

I'm leaning toward Barsotti's in San Rafael - they done significant work on the car in the past and do a lot of Porsche work - but they're expensive and I'm not totally comforatable with their attention to detail.

Any new recommendations welcomed, and it can be anywhere in the East Bay, North Bay, SF, or the Peninsula. I am looking for good work but if I can avoid crying too much when I get the bill, that would be better (obviously)
Old 02-15-2016, 03:07 PM
kpsfo
Intermediate

I took one estimate and in order to spread out the pain purchased all the seals and parts the estimate included bit my bit - so the estimates furnished are for the labor and paint only. I assume other things will come up in the course of the job. Hopefully I got the bulk of what is needed.

And I should add that I've been looking for places that are familiar with working on Porsches - this was at the recommendation of a highly-recommended auto-body guy - he said he could do the work but that I'd do myself a favor by going with people who'd done it before since the labor costs would be lower since they wouldn't be stumbling around as much. Amazing honesty, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for 944 body/paint work in East Bay, CA