Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun story of a nice summer night drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fun story of a nice summer night drive

Just wanted to share this guys, I know it isnt much or all that cool or anything, but it was a big moment for me.

I took the car on a tuning run tonight and I finally, FINALLY, "Got it"

For the past few months, sure the car's been pulling like a train, but its been lacking one almost indescribable facet, a little nuance that brings a grin to my face. The throttle response has been "good", better than stock I'd say. The past week I've been focusing on getting it dialed in, and finally tonight, the car rewarded me with that magical feeling of being telepathic, of the car seeming to respond before I commanded it. I thought about downshifting, and the car felt like it was already rev matched to the gear below. I put 60 miles on the car tonight through some of central Texas' best twisty canyon roads, and I had the biggest, silliest grin plastered on my face the entire time. Razor edged response, great straight line pull, and predictable smooth breakaway at the limit..If I sound like a star struck highschool boy its because I'm officially in love..again. I'm also loving my new needle bearing equipped shifter and new headlights and foglights. Tonight was the first night driving with them and I felt like I tripled the car's light output. (went from old stock sealed beams and 55w fog lights to 100w fogs and 75w E-code H4 headlights)

I flogged her so hard tonight gentleman, and I dont feel the least bit bad about it. I threshhold braked into the corners, took every gear to 6800 rpm, got that *** way, waaaay out a few times. I was reminded tonight why its all worth it. I guess what im trying to say is, this is the first time I can remember in the past year the car feeling like a complete, polished package and not just "oh its fast and brakes well, but its got this hiccup and such, or this is causing issues so XXX". I felt tonight like I was driving the greatest 80's sports car of all time. Hell, I felt tonight like I was driving the greatest sports car ever built.

Give your Porsche a pat on the rump next chance you get guys, it's all worth it
Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 AM
bumflick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-29-2014, 11:22 AM
PetePorsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, the grin while driving, so familiar! I can't help myself but smile when I drive along a nice calm road with some nice music on!
Sure mine isn't the best looking, but that's why I bought it!

Still there's this constant fear of it breaking down
Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I remember those days too. Sometimes everything aligns to come out just perfect

Great story, I envy you
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds awesome. Glad you got her dialed. The lights sound great too!
Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad to hear you finally have your car running the way you want it to.

I was at a tech session with Chris White last fall and he said that a lot of the problems with our engines occur when they are revved above 6k RPMs.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:58 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I think I know exactly how you feel. My car has been plagued with issues the last ~6 months, sadly none of them so far are the "car's" fault - they're all the fault of low quality mechanic's work that I (for the first time in a long time) decided to farm out (vs. doing it myself). Still, it's frustrating and I found myself this year for the first time contemplating selling it.... and then had some success the last few weeks, and the car is running better than ever. It still has one nagging issue that I have no idea how to resolve but otherwise... brings a smile to my face. This car would be tough to replace... much to my wife's disappointment.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This was a very great read. It's a great story! I have felt like this with my 951 too, and i think it is still driving like this today, although a friend is in possession for a while.

Dougs951s, do you think its a culmination of your own mods? Or could you have reached this point with out any mods?

Reminds me of this one post: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...rst-drive.html

Now I think its time to wash, clay bar, and wax her. Shine the wheels. Nourish the leather seats. Scrupulously clean the interior.

Your car sounds great.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:42 PM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, definitely the culmination of years of development and increasingly eleborate mods. These cars are fun stock, but they lack lots of things that make a great sports car. Lets be honest, they are underpowered, laggy, way too softly sprung, and not the most responsive cars in terms of throttle input. I have fixed all these things, plus 100 other things. A stock 951 is a good car. My 951 is, in my humble opinion, an incredible car.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:24 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice read.
I had that feeling about 1.5 months ago when i last drove my GTS wannabe.
Took it on a long drive holiday and everything was great, enjoyed the car like the good doctor meant
Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM
NM'87 951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jelly. Sounds like a great time!

Quick Reply: Fun story of a nice summer night drive