Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam, adding to the right place?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:59 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Seafoam, adding to the right place?

I've read the previous threads here about Seafoam. I know some of you like it, some of you don't. No need to rehash.

I've decided to use it. I understand it's supposed to go into the line that comes out of the brake booster. I even saw the thread that has a photo with that fitting circled and a caption saying to disconnect here.

Well I've disconnected that fitting from the brake booster, and I'm ready to do it. But I just want to ask...before I actually do it...just to make sure... I'm supposed to slowly pour it into the fitting (a white plastic plug, in the photo I'm adding, which has already been pulled out of the booster) I just pulled out of the brake booster, correct? So that it goes into a hose that runs down and toward the front of the car, in the general direction towards underneath the air filter housing...correct?

I just want to make absolutely sure before I do this...
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2014, 04:40 AM
flagtie
Advanced

Here's a bump for you. Kinda curious myself.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Notice the people who buy sea foam, know nothing about cars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil

Last edited by HICKS; 07-23-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Horrible Spelling
Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 PM
flagtie
Advanced

Originally Posted by HICKS
Notice the people who buy sea foam, no nothing about cars?

Hey, that's real good info. Thank you for that.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:06 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're welcome.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:14 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If your going to pour that crap in, pull the plastic part off the big hose and pour directly into that big hose off the bottom of the white plastic housing.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:33 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by HICKS
Notice the people who buy sea foam, know nothing about cars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_oil
I wouldn't say I know nothing about cars. I know little about 944s specifically, sure I'll admit that.

What I do know little about, though, is why some people choose to be so closed-minded. Or if it's even a choice for them at all, or they just can't help it. For example, over time, some "dirt" accumulates inside an engine. Someone comes up with a cleaner for it. They show how their cleaner removes the dirt. Why, then, do people choose to pretend that the cleaner doesn't remove the dirt?

I wonder if it was the same story a few hundred years ago when someone finally said, "Hey, we never wash ourselves, we just walk around in our own accumulated filth everday. Well I've just invented this stuff I'm going to call 'soap' and it'll remove the dirt from our bodies. Here, watch..." Then he does a demonstration, but I wonder if people at the time still said nope, soap doesn't do anything...and even if it does do something, it's not anything we need it to do, so go away, no thank you very much.

Another thing I know very little about is the utter lack of logic that many people seem to demonstrate. For example, how not knowing exactly where to put Seafoam translates into "[knowing] nothing about cars". I just don't see any logical connection there at all.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 PM
JJR512
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arominus
If your going to pour that crap in, pull the plastic part off the big hose and pour directly into that big hose off the bottom of the white plastic housing.
I would never pour crap into my car, thank you very much for your concern. However, just before actually pouring the Seafoam in, I did figure out that I should probably pull the hose off the plastic fitting (at least I thought it was a fitting, you call it a housing, what do I know, apparently nothing about cars since I don't know exactly where to pour the Seafoam) and pour it directly into the hose rather than into the fitting...sorry, excuse me, the white plastic housing. That looks like a fitting. Whatever. Regardless of what it's called, though, I couldn't actually get the hose off it, and it didn't seem to me it would make any difference to the engine if I poured it directly into the hose or if it went through the whatever it's called first so I just poured it into that. But I did pull the little hose off that part first, and covered the barb with a friend's fingertip.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:55 PM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Why do people say this stuff is crap? Sounds like blind fear because ive never heard a bad story about seafoam. In fact, its widely used by people in the 911 forum, just go see. Seafoam is one of the only snakeoils that is agreed upon nearly universally. Ive personally had great experiences with it on multiple cars, so what's the problem if it really works?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

At worst, it's $12 wasted.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:51 PM
jagdhund
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some when I made a post earlier about it but never used it, let me know what you think after using it.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Toran
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

JJR512, I have used the Seafoam on my 86na a few times over the years.
I was advised to let let the car run for a little while. Soon after the oil was also changed. I had no negative results.

It was a bit uncomfortable driving it for the first few minutes as it left a cloud of white smoke from behind.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Seafoam is not snake oil. It works but you have to use it the right way. Follow this write up here:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how...right-way.html

Like someone previously mentioned, you need to put in in the big rubber hose at the brake booster. You want it to go directly into the intake mainfold, not anywhere else.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Jorgen944
Advanced

Only negative I have really heard is it can have a pretty bad impact on your plugs. It may not but it may so having a spare set around used for this isn't a bad idea or do it when you plan to swap plugs soon after anyway.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eh i'm not a fan of the huge cloud of smoke it creates for my neighbors and am leary of running all of that carbon through the motor. If my intake is that gunked up, i'd pull it, blast it inside and out seafoam it then, and then paint it up all shiny and new. Your valves should not have carbon build up so long as you run some decent gas.

Last edited by Arominus; 07-25-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Seafoam, adding to the right place?