Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak!!!! Why is it always something?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 05:21 PM
porsche_dreamer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak!!!! Why is it always something?

So I started the car today for the first time in about 2 weeks, let it idle for about 10 minutes. Backed out of the garage and noticed a puddle about 4 inches round. This just happened all of a sudden and I know it wasn't there before I started it. Because I had just put my phone dials on last night. It's coming from the passenger side. It's not the cork gasket on the back of the cam tower dry as a bone. Same for the oil filter dry. It's starting to become tiring fixing one thing after another. But I guess at this point I should be running out if things to fix soon. Not sure if this is just a rant or a cry for help.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:05 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I feel your frustration. I had an '86 that was dry when I bought it but the car had sat for some time with the PO and it wasn't long before the leaks started to show up. When one oil seal starts to leak, since all the others are of the same age and material, you can pretty much expect them to start leaking too. On my latest car, and '87 with 120+k miles, I decided to get ahead of the game and when I replaced the belts and WP, I did all the seals, including the front and rear crank seals (which were leaking, too). It's just a fact of life, but once you've done them, you're done. If you're wanting to trace out the source of the leaks, a flouescent dye kit (with glasses and magic flashlight) can be bought cheaply online or at most auto parts stores. Pour some dye in the oil and drive the car for a couple of hundred miles and then pull the lower plastic pan and start looking for the dye trail. It's a great tool, not only for engine oil but coolant and power steering as well.

Quick Reply: Oil leak!!!! Why is it always something?