Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie rod end confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod end confusion

Hello,

I have a 1986 951 that I put a LS1 in. I didn't hook up the power steering and I want to convert to a proper manual rack. I'm getting a little confused about the tie rod ends.

1) I thought that the manual rack outer ends were male, but I've since seemed to find a lot of female tie rod ends for supposed manual racks. Which is it? Or both, depending on the year?

2) Regarding the FEMALE outer tie rod ends used on the manual rack (if they exist): Are outer rod ends for the manual rack the same thread as the outer rod ends on the power rack? What is the thread?

3) I have installed the Elephant racing bump steer correction kit, so I am dedicated to their outer tie rod ends: http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...4bumpsteer.htm If I get a manual rack from ebay or something that has female outer tie rod ends will I be able to directly bolt it in, or are the tie rods themselves different lengths?

4) I will be replacing the intermediate shaft as well as putting in delrin steering rack bushings like these: http://www.paragon-products.com/Stee...4_racktack.htm Will these bushings work for both the manual and power steering racks or are there different ones for the manual rack?

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,

Luke
Old 03-24-2014, 12:27 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

This might help!
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...he-answer.html
Old 03-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Winter44
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just removed the manual rack on my 83. Male ends on both sides.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Thank you! That did help, I didn't get that thread in my searches. I have a lathe so I think I'll do the suggested mod to the steering rack.

I've always been a little confused about early and late offset with my 86' 951. My has aluminum front control arms, female outer tie rod ends, and aluminum rear control arms. That would make it the late offset, correct? I've just read that the early offset includes the 86' 951, but I am starting to think it's bad info because it's inconsistent; but an example of this information would be in the post your directed me to. I know there are a million threads about it, but so often the info is conflicting.

What about the steering rack bushings?

Thanks again,

Luke
Old 03-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Winter44
I just removed the manual rack on my 83. Male ends on both sides.
It looks like that's the norm, but how is this sort of thing explained: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ete-cheap.html
Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Luke714
Thank you! That did help, I didn't get that thread in my searches. I have a lathe so I think I'll do the suggested mod to the steering rack.

I've always been a little confused about early and late offset with my 86' 951. My has aluminum front control arms, female outer tie rod ends, and aluminum rear control arms. That would make it the late offset, correct? I've just read that the early offset includes the 86' 951, but I am starting to think it's bad info because it's inconsistent; but an example of this information would be in the post your directed me to. I know there are a million threads about it, but so often the info is conflicting.

What about the steering rack bushings?

Thanks again,

Luke
85.5 and 86 cars (including turbo) have aluminum early offset control arms. 87+ have late offset aluminum control arms.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Winter44
Racer

It looks like that's the norm, but how is this sort of thing explained: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ete-cheap.html
I found out I have the option sport rack. 1/2 less turn from end to end. Not sure, but maybe the standard racks use female ends? Just guessing here.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:08 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konakat
85.5 and 86 cars (including turbo) have aluminum early offset control arms. 87+ have late offset aluminum control arms.
Well, that's not confusing at all Does this include the female outer tie rod ends as well? Even though the car is early offset. Thank you, I'm finally starting to fully understand how much of a hybrid my 86' 951 is. I bet the 86' 951 also used late offset wheels because I think I remember seeing spacers on the hubs, is that right?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Does this include the female outer tie rod ends as well?
All of the original tierod ends - for both the manual and power racks - were female.

However, the only available manual rack replacement toerod ends are male. (Because it's been superseded by a VW part.)

Unless you're willing to get pretty creative, you might be stuck using a power rack for your bump-steer tierod ends.

I bet the 86' 951 also used late offset wheels because I think I remember seeing spacers on the hubs, is that right?
If you have late offset wheels on an '86, you'll need spacers on the hubs.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I think I'm just going to do this and be done with it.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:20 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Well, that's not confusing at all Does this include the female outer tie rod ends as well? Even though the car is early offset. Thank you, I'm finally starting to fully understand how much of a hybrid my 86' 951 is. I bet the 86' 951 also used late offset wheels because I think I remember seeing spacers on the hubs, is that right?
I'm not sure what you are talking about with the tie rod ends. As far as I can tell, the tie rod end is always female on these cars, never male. The pre-87 cars use the same part number as the pre-85 according to the PET.

No, it used early offset wheels. I know the pre-85 cars have a factory spacer in the back because the true rear offset is 11, not 23. The 86 should have a true 23mm rear offset, so any spacer on there has been added.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Luke714
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by konakat
I'm not sure what you are talking about with the tie rod ends. As far as I can tell, the tie rod end is always female on these cars, never male. The pre-87 cars use the same part number as the pre-85 according to the PET.

No, it used early offset wheels. I know the pre-85 cars have a factory spacer in the back because the true rear offset is 11, not 23. The 86 should have a true 23mm rear offset, so any spacer on there has been added.
It seems as if most of the manual racks you see pictures of have male tie rod ends such as this: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...0-shipped.html

However, you also see manual racks with the original female tie rod ends like this: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ete-cheap.html

It seems that Van answered this by explaining that the only available replacement tie rods that can attach to the manual rack have male threaded outer tie rod ends.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:08 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you meant where it attaches to the inner tie rod, not the spindle.

Quick Reply: Tie rod end confusion