Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fire extinguisher (seat type?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:09 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default fire extinguisher (seat type?)

As 944 fires are the hot topic, going ahead and ordering fire extinguisher. I have a 1989 944 turbo with original seats that had manual forward/backward and backrest. There are four buttons that power front and rear end up and down. Looking at owners manual, there is another seat with more buttons that power everything.

So fire extinguisher kits are sold for manual or electric seats. Given that mine are the 4 button with both manual and power adjustments described above, which seat type do I order for?

Edit; erasing bonus question. Just spray through crack if you can. Don't open.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

You have the "4-way" power seats; there is an optional "8-way" power seat.

I think the Bray Krause fire extinguisher bracket bolts to the front seat rail mounting point, and is compatible with either seat style.

If your second question was about *how* to put out an engine fire, my gut feeling is that you'll have to get the hood open. (I've never had to do it... I'm just guessing here.)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Van (seats).

I posted the how (extinguish) question, then backed it out upon reflection. I suspect that the only reasonable thing to initially try in the event of fire is opening the hood from inside (but not opening further from outside) and spraying under. I think the rush of oxygen from opening the hood to any degree could get out of hand without first beating it down a little.

I'll ask a friend who is a fire chief in a neighboring county and see what his experience with it is. If I learn anything interesting, will post it.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:57 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my car caught fire, I was only in 2nd gear on a neighborhood street so I was able to stop the car immediately, pop the hood release, grab my giant fire extinguisher from the backseat floor, run around to the front of the car (now this is where it got interesting).. there were flames tickling out the sides and back of the hood but not the front, so I just stuck my hand in there and grabbed the latch and let my hood struts do their thing, the fire immediately grew huge and followed the hood up, so within a blink of an eye, I pulled that pin on the extinguisher and blasted away.

Managed to save everything except the usual plastic and rubber hoses, vac lines, and some of the engine harness. I'm not sure how easily I would have been able to put it out if the hood was not open.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work drifta.
I've often wondered what I would do and what the right thing to do is. My extinguisher doesn't have a hose so I could probably hold the hood open just enough with one hand and spray with the other.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:41 PM
motorhed
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have lil fire extinguishers any good extinguisher holders that are inexpensive?

Quick Reply: fire extinguisher (seat type?)