Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Severe Shaking and Low Idle - Intermentent Belt Squeel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM
johncos3777
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, I have used this stuff on my pipes at home before and it works great. Don't see why it wouldn't work on radiator hoses as well:

Duck Brand 442055 Wrap-Fix Repair Tape, 1-Inch by 10 Feet, Single Roll, Black - Amazon.com Duck Brand 442055 Wrap-Fix Repair Tape, 1-Inch by 10 Feet, Single Roll, Black - Amazon.com
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johncos3777
FYI, I have used this stuff on my pipes at home before and it works great. Don't see why it wouldn't work on radiator hoses as well:

Duck Brand 442055 Wrap-Fix Repair Tape, 1-Inch by 10 Feet, Single Roll, Black - Amazon.com
I would try that but it looks like the wrong hose. It should not even come close to touching the alternator, by what I can tell from online pictures. I am going to go ahead and replace it.

I removed the timing belt covers, and noticed the water pump is still the old version. Which is surprising to me, and increases the probability the water pump has never been replaced. I am going to go ahead and do the upgrade water pump, as well as replace all the timing and balance belt hardware and belts.

I also noticed a sheared screw laying inside the crank pulley. housing Just laying there. Looks like something else I'll need to replace...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:51 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

from the photo, it looks like you are missing the bracket that goes from the front of the car to the front of the air cleaner - someone has probably put one of those stupid K&N things on the car (bad idea). The bracket has a welded piece of metal on it that the hose clamp on the larger radiator hose should screw to, this keeps that hose away from the alternator belt. I don't know what else is missing, but I would try and find an original air filter housing for the car, along with that steel bracket.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-30-2014, 03:25 AM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

Wanted to post a quick update and ask a question.

I am getting a head this weekend, in the next week I plan on getting the head, cam tower, water pump, rollers and belts, and front seals installed. I will also be updated the fuel lines. I think I have all of the coolant hoses I need, the only major thing I don't have is vacuum lines. All of them were in bad shape, the plastic ones cracked and the rubber ones disintegrated when I was tearing the engine down.

What is the cheapest option for updated all the vacuum lines? I took out all the AC components, but I'd still like to have the heater hooked up. I have read about deleting the venturi line (correct vocab?), but not sure if that effects things. I could use a little direction in this area, thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of guys use silicone hoses, me included, but honestly factory rubber vac hoses lasted 30 years, I would just go to an auto parts store and get like 20' of rubber vac line along with new vacuum tee's. Its cheap and boy does it make the car run better. just replace everything you can get to.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:18 AM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

Making some progress, although much slower than I had hoped. I was looking at my teardown pictures tonight and realized I was not nearly detailed enough on the vacuum lines.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

Hey all,

I got the car back together and it is running way better than before! The new motor mounts have worked wonders. I am having a few problems though.

The major issue right now is a hunting idle. But it only happens when the car is up to normal operating temperature. For the first start of the day, the car starts right up and runs smooth as can be, with an idle of around 1100 rpm. After about 10 minutes, it starts hunting, or surging.

I can take it for a drive, and everything with the cooling system seems fine, stays right around the middle bar unless I get stuck in traffic for more than a few minutes, then it will travel up to the next bar but the fan kicks in and that is as high as it goes. Of course when I am off the gas with the clutch in it starts hunting.

I can stop somewhere, turn it off, and the fan will stay on for a couple of minutes, and then goes off. If I start it up, it runs fine again, until it warms back up to around the middle bar, then it starts hunting again.

Any ideas on where I should be looking to resolve this hunting issue?

I also have some pretty severe fuel smell in the cabin when the windows are down. I am guessing this is related to my charcoal canister line and probably cracked hoses / seals on the fuel tank. But I thought I would bring this up in case it might be related to the idle issue.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

Found this on another thread, I think I will work my way through this list, as well as try and rebuild the TPS based on this article: http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...id=2&chapter=1

On the list I'll just start with the cheapest fixes and work my way up the cost scale.

Now about the "shake"

Check on www.clarks-garage.com for the motor mount specs.
You may have a bad motor mount and vibration.

BUT usually, you need to do a lot of PM stuff.

Rebuild the TB throttle body. The shaft has an "O" ring on each side that rots and lets air in.

Does the exhaust smell like unburned gas? Replace the O2 sensor. 60K max life and if bad the car will run rich.

Same with the DME coolant temp sensor- ~$20 Just change it.

Clean the ICV-idle control valve. Hard to get out with the intake on but possible.

Look inside the TB. Do you see an oil pool on the bottom? Change the AOS seals.

Rebuild your injectors or send them to www.witchhunter.com. Bad flow or leaking injector will cause a lot of idle problems.

Get new FPR and Damper.

Just a few places to start with a bad idle.

J_AZ
Old 11-11-2014, 02:12 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what ended up being the actual cause of the rough idle? You symptoms sounded similar to mine. I have a rough, low idle for the first few minutes after startup, but then it settles in around 1100 and is much smoother. As soon as I start it, if I rev it a bit, the roughness goes all the way up to around 2000 but that number quickly falls and it settles down.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 PM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

Well, before I rebuilt the top end and replaced a lot of stuff, it was in really bad shape. I would say my rough idle issues were caused by major vacuum leaks, all the big vacuum hoses were cracked and brittle. Also, my altitude correction box had the lines cut to it, and I am guessing my oxygen sensor is bad, so that probably contributed also. And then the bad motor mounts just amplified the rough idle.

Still trying to chase down the surge, but it sure runs nice and smooth while it's warming up.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:58 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Subscribed. (Enjoying/rooting for your progress.)
Old 11-12-2014, 02:06 PM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

New problem, yesterday I hit the windshield washer pump switch on the center console, and the low brake pad warning light went off (PO did not put pads with warning wire). Weird I thought. Then, next time I flipped on the turn signal, they don't blink anymore! And then this morning when I got in and put the key in the ignition there is no longer the chime. What in the heck! Any ideas?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Jimmy Jones
Intermediate

Originally Posted by curtisr
Subscribed. (Enjoying/rooting for your progress.)
Thanks, this has turned into a love/hate relationship. Today I started getting the feeling my clutch is going out.

I should save myself some money and pay to have the scrap yard take it. But I can't bring myself to do it. I love it and hate it, all at the same time
Old 11-12-2014, 05:15 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy Jones
New problem, yesterday I hit the windshield washer pump switch on the center console, and the low brake pad warning light went off (PO did not put pads with warning wire). Weird I thought. Then, next time I flipped on the turn signal, they don't blink anymore! And then this morning when I got in and put the key in the ignition there is no longer the chime. What in the heck! Any ideas?
There's supposed to be a chime?

Quick Reply: Severe Shaking and Low Idle - Intermentent Belt Squeel