Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Integrated radar detector project

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Integrated radar detector project

This one is still in the early stages, but I think it could turn out really well.

My plan is to gut the center speaker area on the early dash and install a Valentine One radar detector. I want to dremel a cutout on the speaker grill so it's a clean and integrated look:

Name:  4v3p0WC.png
Views: 7
Size:  122.9 KB

(very rough mockup)

The wiring would tap the cigarette lighter. Since this always receives current, I would mount a switch somewhere. Ideally, I could modify a sunroof switch from a parts car and have it on the center console, nice and inconspicuous.

I'm not sure about the cigarette lighter wiring (i.e. which wire is gnd and whatnot) but here's the rough diagram:

Name:  nsuq6Dt.png
Views: 7
Size:  14.6 KB

From the factory, the V1 plugs into the cigarette lighter so I know it's be straightforward and I won't need any inline resistors or anything.

To those who have added gauges and whatnot to their speaker housing, what potential caveats might I face? The V1 is pretty big, but I'm willing to cut if I need to (I'm recovering a donor dash eventually, and I plan to do this when I procure it).

Thanks, as always for insight!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:25 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You setup won't work, if you put the V1 in the speaker grill, it won't be able to pickup laser or radar cuz you'll be blocking the lens.

I actually mounted my V1 up high near the rear view mirror, and ran the wiring down the headliner onto the passenger side and pickup key on power there. Higher up gives you better range, and you can barley notice it from behind which is good... If you'd like I can post pics
Old 01-04-2014, 07:29 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast924S
You setup won't work, if you put the V1 in the speaker grill, it won't be able to pickup laser or radar cuz you'll be blocking the lens.

I actually mounted my V1 up high near the rear view mirror, and ran the wiring down the headliner onto the passenger side and pickup key on power there. Higher up gives you better range, and you can barley notice it from behind which is good... If you'd like I can post pics
Dangit, that's a good point... pics would be great, thanks. But isn't there a remote sensor though that feeds the main unit?

I was thinking about alternatively mounting it somewhere like under the visor, and installing a satellite display in the speaker grill, along with a oil temp gauge perhaps.

This thread is a good idea of what I'm aiming for: link
Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could mount the concealed display in there, but you sit so close to the windshield in a 944, I don't think you would gain anything. https://store.valentine1.com/store/closeup_20110.asp

Also, does the lighter have constant power, I can't remember? You don't want to wire it to constant power and switch it because you will forget to turn it off and you will drain your battery. The V1 come with the hardware kit, and just connect it to the radios switched power.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:46 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Direct-wire power adapter kit is what I meant to say**
Old 01-05-2014, 03:02 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Yep cigarette lighter is constant power. I think wiring it to the ignition switch would be another viable alternative.

I do like the idea of radio power, it will receive current whenever the key is in the switch.

I suppose i could go with fast924s' solution, radar detectors are still legal in TX
Old 01-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe put the radar detector in the sun visor?

That way, you could flip it the other way to conceal it when parked, etc.

Somewhere around here I have a spare visor, which I replaced because its seam was split. Could do surgery through the split seam, remove some internal foam to make a place for the radar detector, so it would not be lumpy when finished. Route the RD wire through the visor mount. On my BMW is a visor with a sliding mirror cover, and a little light comes on when the mirror cover is slid open. Ideal switch for radar detector power. Adapt to Porsche?
Old 01-05-2014, 10:10 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll grab a pic for you tomorrow
Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM
wingnut
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the V1 just right of the mirror, hard-wired in and the remote display in front of the instrument cluster. It is 95 % out of the way, the corner of the box is the 50 mph mark; it can be slid outboard a smidge more.

Name:  V1remotedash.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  207.3 KB

It is easier to use the mute button here, too. Been awhile but I think I just made a wire clip to mount it, goes up and around the back of the cluster 'tunnel' just in front of the cluster bezel face and the V1 wiring sneaks in this way too. All fairly simple as these things go.

Last edited by wingnut; 01-06-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:10 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mount it as high as you can without having the lens in front of any extra tint. Tinting cuts the range. Make sure it has a clean shot out of the back hatchglass too for the rear antenna cluster.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one in an 87 944 turbo that the PO installed, it had a display screen in the cab and was hard wired to a sensor behind the front bumper...
Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by travisgreen
I had one in an 87 944 turbo that the PO installed, it had a display screen in the cab and was hard wired to a sensor behind the front bumper...
THIS is what I'm going for - a remote sensor that I can run through the firewall, and have the actual unit in a discrete location. I'd like the interior to be a clean as a whistle... and more importantly... I live in Waco and crap gets stolen out of cars all the time
Old 01-06-2014, 02:48 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
THIS is what I'm going for - a remote sensor that I can run through the firewall, and have the actual unit in a discrete location. I'd like the interior to be a clean as a whistle... and more importantly... I live in Waco and crap gets stolen out of cars all the time
I thnk it may have been a cobra, but I can't remember it was 8 years ago, I do know that it was made to be installed that way tho
Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

I've read great things about the Valentine One, and not-so-great things about Cobras.

The V1 also supports a satellite display: https://store.valentine1.com/store/closeup_20110.asp

This would let me mount the actual V1 unit say, in a cannibalized sun visor for good reception, and then observe the readout from wherever I stick the satellite display. The current plan is to make use of the speaker grill that's awkwardly hanging out in the middle of the dash.

I couldn't find any remote sensors for the V1 that I was sure would work, so this seems like the best solution to solve for both reception as well as discretion.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:43 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Both Valentine and Passport sell mounts that attach to the rear view mirror. This puts the unit in the preferred high location for the antennas and gives the install an OEM type look. It can be completed with a remote display and hardwiring too.

Quick Reply: Integrated radar detector project