Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 944 N/A Wont Start. (DME Failed?)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 04:13 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 84 944 N/A Wont Start. (DME Failed?)

Hi there,

Whereas we have all seen this topic a thousand times, I would love some help with my particular set of circumstances.

I have a 1984 Porsche 944 N/A. It decided to die on the highway the other day forcing me to tow it home and now I am trying to diagnose where the problem lies.

1. I checked the fuel pump / DME relay and swapped it out with a new one.
2. I checked wiring behind the relay to make sure it was secure.
3. I checked for spark, and there is a bright spark, at each plug.
4. I hotwired the fuel pump at relay so it would always run. It is noticeably still working (Loud hum , etc)
5. I checked that an appropriate amount of fuel was pumping out of the fuel rail as per the Haynes manual. The fuel pump definetly seems to be ok.
6. I removed one fuel injector wire and tried to start the car, it still wouldnt start
7. I placed an LED + resistor in series with the injector wire to the DME and the positive battery post. The LED did not blink. Hence I do not believe the fuel injectors are firing.
8. There is a noticeable lack of wetness to the spark plugs / smell of gas which also leads me to believe the injectors are not pulsing.

As far as I know this means that for whatever reason my DME is dead. However I don't have a spare one to quickly check that theory.

So can anyone think of anything else I can check?

I found a couple of threads that alluded to a specific transistor failing in the early DMEs causing no injector pulses. I couldnt find any real details on this however. (In either the web forum or the email list server)

I would really appreciate any help anyone good give me.

I believe the DMEs are only the same from 83-85.5 then they changed somewhat.

Thank You

Kirk

Quick Reply: 84 944 N/A Wont Start. (DME Failed?)