Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ground Path for Horn

Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the one!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

This sort of minutia is why I love Rennlist.

Where else can you figure out, with detailed pictures, what some non-descript brown wire is for? And I bet this will resolve the OP's issue too.

Carry on my fellow geeks!
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

HTML Code:
This sort of minutia is why I love Rennlist.

Where else can you figure out, with detailed pictures, what some non-descript brown wire is for? And I bet this will resolve the OP's issue too.
Thanks to Paul for the photo. Said wire on my car is missing but one of the first things I did was attach a temporary ground wire from the steering rack to the negative post on the battery. This did not solve my problem.

I am sorta convinced that the ground path is through the steering linkage but since my linkage is not behaving as a ground, it will be easier to put in a "wiper" as suggested by Akerlie as seen on the 924. For what it's worth, my Jag Etype has a simple metal wiper that goes from the fixed part of the steering column support onto the rotating part of the shaft. It also has a more complicated insulated wiper that serves the "hot" side of the connection. The Porsche ring and wiper is more elegant. I'm just surprised that didn't do it twice for both halves of the switch.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

My 73 Alfa Romeo Spider has the horn wire going through the hollow shaft down to the steering box, then has a little hole where it comes out, then is routed up to the horn relay on the fender. It was a *itch to string a new wire in there.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 301 Posts

Considering every car has a horn and most are mounted on the rotating steering wheel, I suspect the design problem has been resolved in a myriad of ways.

I'm thinking of using Bluetooth
Old 01-19-2017, 12:29 PM
kevinduffy
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, guys...I had this same issue TODAY with a 924S. Completely baffled...

I tested everything, cleaned everything, and checked from ground continuity between all connections. I was getting NO GROUND at the top of the steering column, but ground at the steering box and rack. So I traced the ground continuity north, and found that the top universal joint in the intermediate shaft was worn - grab it and pull up and down, made little clunky sound. Pulled it, replaced it with a good used one from a parts car, and - the horn works. Steers better, too.

It took me about four hours of checking, cleaning, rechecking, etc., but finally found it. The key was checking for ground continuity at the top of the steering shaft and work south. Also check the intermediate shaft.

I've been playing around with these things since the early 80's...this is a first for me.

Hope that this helps others.

Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ground Path for Horn