Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Bushings Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:41 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 968 Bushings Replacement

So, I posted a while back about a shimmy in the front end of my 94 968 cab ( 50k miles). Well, I took it in for a balance and alignment. Alignment was about 2 degrees out in the back, and the front was pretty good. All but one tire were in balance...the tire that was out was apparently hard to balance. So I guess this could be the problem...perhaps even still. I still feel a slight wobble at 45-50mph.

I am waiting to receive a new jack. I want to check my bearings. A knowledgeable buddy told me that if the wheel has any play, then the bearings will need to be repacked. So I am going to check that when my jack comes in.

Also does anyone think the shimmy may result from failing bushings in the control arms. Anyone have any experience with that? Also, I have the shop manual with instructions for disassembling the front end, but I assume that requires another alignment. Can I replace the bushings and the caster blocks without disrupting the alignment? I have not seen this particular DIY in the forums.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:15 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by zerokreap
..the tire that was out was apparently hard to balance...
Hard to balance could be a bent wheel, that would give you the symptoms you have. Put the suspect wheel at the back and see if the problem disappears.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:18 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

I asked if it was bent and the guy said he checked it and it was not bent. They also inspected the suspension and said everything seemed tight. I think it could be just that one tire...but they will not need replacing for another couple of years.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Still, if you suspect the tire just swap it to a rear wheel. It will have less of an effect if its bad than if it's at the front. At least it will eliminate one thing that causes you wobble at the front.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

I'll try that.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Der Treiber
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shimmy/wobble at a certain speed range indicates more of a tire issue than one that has to do w/ suspension. Especially if you feel it through the steering wheel, but otherwise don't feel slop or play in the steering function at other speeds. Wheel bearings are usually more of a moaning/grinding sound that increases w/ speed, and if they are so loose that they fail a tire play test, it's too late for repacking...they'll need to be replaced. And yes, if you replace control arm bushings and caster blocks, you will need to realign. Based on what you described, you may possibly have a scrubbed tire w/ some belt damage, and your tire guy is right...there's not a whole lot you can do about that aside from a new tire. Don't the 968's have different tire widths front to rear?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Still, if you suspect the tire just swap it to a rear wheel. It will have less of an effect if its bad than if it's at the front. At least it will eliminate one thing that causes you wobble at the front.
...of course it's a 968, so staggered setup. It wouldn't be a bad quick test though.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:48 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

I will put some money aside and just purchase some new tires in the spring.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A hard to balance tire/wheel should have the tire rotated to a different point on the wheel and balanced again. A tire can be out of round and they used to have a truing machine that shaved off the tire high spot in order to balance the tire. The last time I replaced my tires one tire was hard to balance so I had them replace that tire with another new tire. The Tire Shops do not like to do this and will just keep adding more weights IF you don't insist on a replacement tire. More than two weights either means the wheel or the tire is not balanced correctly.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 11-17-2013, 10:38 PM
zerokreap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
A hard to balance tire/wheel should have the tire rotated to a different point on the wheel and balanced again. A tire can be out of round and they used to have a truing machine that shaved off the tire high spot in order to balance the tire. The last time I replaced my tires one tire was hard to balance so I had them replace that tire with another new tire. The Tire Shops do not like to do this and will just keep adding more weights IF you don't insist on a replacement tire. More than two weights either means the wheel or the tire is not balanced correctly.

Cheers,
Larry
Thanks Larry, I will definitely look into my options. Unfortunately those are the tires that came on it. I suppose I will just have to put some miles on them before the coming spring...so that I get my money's worth

I think I can handle that.

Quick Reply: 968 Bushings Replacement