Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car is so quiet, hatch rattles fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 08:04 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My car is so quiet, hatch rattles fixed.

I installed the hatch pin bushings from only944 and the hatch rattles are gone. Some of the noised that I thought came from the suspension or sunroof were the hatch rattles. While doing this I found out why the rear carpet foam gets wet. The disintegrated rubber bushing pieces had clogged the drain tubes and the catch pan under the pin locks.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:40 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

How hard were they to replace? My hatch creaks and rattles but I believe it is the glass starting to separate from the frame. I also need to replace the seal on the body as it has shrunk...I was thinking of doing all at the same time in the spring when I get the car out of storage
Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very simple replacement. There are instructions on the website but the procedure could be done without removing the lock gasket and mount. There are two nuts that attach each hatch lock and a ball that attaches to the lock rod. Once those are removed the latch comes out, push the bushing in, reinstall and adjust the hatch pins. I had to file the bushings to fit the pins , no big deal just a minute with a round file and everything fits great.
I am impressed that a car made in 1987 can still be this tight.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Gawernator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed! They made my 944 hatch close so much more solidly, and smoothly, like new.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:12 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gawernator
Agreed! They made my 944 hatch close so much more solidly, and smoothly, like new.
+1

1987 Red 944 N/A *** NOTE- I probably posted from my iPad, please excuse any typos, bad punctuation or odd grammar, if it is unreadable, it probably was posted from my iPhone.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Replacement of the hatch gasket on my car took care of the wind noise and the new latch bushings from only944.com took care of the rest. Now I just have to replace the glass/frame sealant and I'm done.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:29 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My hatch became silly loud when I went to solid motor an trans mounts, my only944 HPS are in the mail, hopefully they quiet it down.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:48 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

+1, I installed the only944 bushings also, and the rattles went away.

On a related note I had a on-again, off-again issue with my new bushings not grabbing hold of the pins, as a result the hatch didn't lock down/stay close and it rattled and squeaked like crazy.

Turns out the cables from the key lock to the bushings were not releasing properly. I shot lube into every place I could think of but it was no help.

I ended up leaving the hatch carpet unsnapped from the back of the hatch and every time before I closed the hatch I reached under the carpet and grabbed the cable next to each bushing and basically pulled the cables up with my fingers which caused them to pull the bushings closed so that they grabbed the pins correctly when I closed the hatch.

After a week or so of doing this, the hatch stayed closed tight even if I didn't pull the cables, so I guess pulling them loosened up whatever was binding them and now all is good.

Maybe this will be of help to someone.

Quick Reply: My car is so quiet, hatch rattles fixed.